+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, David Cameron preaching austerity from a golden throne. in General; Originally Posted by witch Goodness me, let's all overreact, shall we? If you have ever read ANY of mattx's posts, ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Goodness me, let's all overreact, shall we? If you have ever read ANY of mattx's posts, @Flatpackhamster, and @teejay you will know that he isnt advocating voting for the other lot at all - he hold them in pretty much the same amount of contempt.
    And where on earth does "evil" or "child murdering" come into it? As well as calling people children because they object to something a politician said? Ridiculous

TBH whether you are Tory or not, it was a bit of a stupid thing to say in that sort of environment - I'm sure you can see that?
    @Flatpackhamster always posts in this immature way in threads like this, it's not really new. He seems to have trouble grasping the fact that people who criticise the tories aren't always labour supporters (in fact i'd say the majority of them definitely aren't).

Ramesh Patel: Finally! Exposed! The Deficit Myth! So, David Cameron When Are You Going to Apologise? Here is a Good Article about the current government and its near-constant lies about the defecit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,595 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    To be fair, it wasn't a throne it was a chair. Painted gold.
    And not even his chair as he was a guest.
    Perceptions are important.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    claim to be saviours of the NHS whilst slowly destroying it,
    Is the choice is "slow destruction" vs "selling to their mates"? I want to protect what is (arguably) the best free at point of delivery service in the world.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Perceptions are important.
    Absolutely - he was sat on a posh chair at a posh dinner telling everyone to tighten their belts. After a meal like that he could probably not even do his up!

5. Thanks to witch from:

ButterflyMoon (14th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Is the choice is "slow destruction" vs "selling to their mates"? I want to protect what is (arguably) the best free at point of delivery service in the world.
    Ermm, PFI hospital contracts awarded to Labours mates, biggest con going that one and is what is causing the financial crisis in the NHS at the moment and will only get worse.

Thank Post
    I will agree with the post about PFI contracts. Absolute scandal! The amount of a hospitals budget that goes to service the debt is shocking. I agree with the principal of PFI, it is just the muppets that negotiated the contracts, did not have a clue ( or cynically took a cut/directorship). The same is true of the NHS IT contract, how can you spend so much and not deliver! And no one is held to account. Look closer to home, and we have all seen small primary schools turned into academies, and by the way they need 5 servers and ....... Rant over! All parties are the same, go into politics to look after themselves!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisbf1 View Post
    All parties are the same, go into politics to look after themselves!
    Yet they wonder why the general public is disillusioned with politics.

9. Thanks to foofighterjim from:

Chrisbf1 (14th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    Yet they wonder why the general public is disillusioned with politics.
    because does what they do actually matter?

I fail to see how from a personal level im better or worse off with this lot of chimps in power compared to the last lot

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post

I fail to see how from a personal level im better or worse off with this lot of chimps in power compared to the last lot
    It's all an illusion, this democracy. Our choice of parties ranges from identikit "grab what they can while they have the power" to stark raving bonkers "if we get in everyone else can get out!" nutters. If they don't get the outcome they want, they just form a new party and take your votes with them. Ultimately the country is run by House of Lords, none of which were voted for by Joe Public. But so long as we get to put a little tick in a box every few years we can proudly call ourselves a democracy

12. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Chrisbf1 (14th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    It's all an illusion, this democracy. Our choice of parties ranges from identikit "grab what they can while they have the power" to stark raving bonkers "if we get in everyone else can get out!" nutters. If they don't get the outcome they want, they just form a new party and take your votes with them. Ultimately the country is run by House of Lords, none of which were voted for by Joe Public. But so long as we get to put a little tick in a box every few years we can proudly call ourselves a democracy
    I suspect theres more power with the civil servants tbh they are the ones who pass on the information and we all know how you present the info determines the outcome

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I actually watched a really good documentary about this last night,

PROPAGANDA | North Korea Documentary Film, Presented By The Coming Crisis - YouTube

Weirdly enough it's a North Korean documentary about our society in the west. Obviously it does sometimes veer into standard DPRK anti-imperialist rhetoric, but it's scary how on the money they are with a lot of what they say, particularly when analyzing US politics/society and its affect on the rest of the world. It's really interesting to see our society taken apart from a viewpoint completely outside of it, and it really highlights the massive and repeated hypocrisies of our leaders, as well as how much difference our voting actually makes. Definitely worth a watch.

There's also a great bit where a DPRK psychology professor critisizes the concentration camps used by the Israeli government to imprison Palestinian people, despite the fact that the DPRK does exactly the same thing to their own citizens. When you're watching this, you have to remember that this is how we report about them.

Thank Post
    How hard have you looked (and did you look down the back of the sofa)?

Thank Post
    I suspect theres more power with the civil servants tbh they are the ones who pass on the information and we all know how you present the info determines the outcome
    Not really. My dad was a top civil servant and he remembered watching Mrs Thatcher talk nonsense about something and nobody around her had the guts to try and correct her, because they were all scared of her.
    The Lords are an anachronism in the modern age. They have some power, but not enough to run the government.
    "The House of Lords scrutinises Bills that have been approved by the House of Commons.It regularly reviews and amends Bills from the Commons. While it is unable to prevent Bills passing into law, except in certain limited circumstances,it can delay Bills and force the Commons to reconsider its decisions. In this capacity, the Lords acts as a constitutional safeguard that is independent from the electoral process."
    I've always thought that peers who inherit have no place in a democratic process and those who get awarded peerages should lose them the INSTANT they are convicted of any crime as it is a privilege to get such a thing (Jeffrey Archer, anyone?)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Not really. My dad was a top civil servant and he remembered watching Mrs Thatcher talk nonsense about something and nobody around her had the guts to try and correct her, because they were all scared of her.
    fair point but is anyone scared of Cameron/clegg (or milliband for that matter) whereas Maggie like or hate her was imposing

Thank Post
    Not so much scared of, as unable to influence or get to understand the facts (or why telling people to tighten their belts on such an occasion might not be such a good idea )

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast