+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Virgin Media Broadband Price Rise in General; In case you were not aware, Virgin Media is to raise its prices by 6.7% in February. Apparently this is ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,995 Times in 934 Posts
    Blog Entries

Virgin Media Broadband Price Rise

In case you were not aware, Virgin Media is to raise its prices by 6.7% in February. Apparently this is to allow for faster speeds (up to 152Mbps).
    More here: BBC News - Virgin Media prices and broadband speed will rise
    Joy.

Thank Post
    Do they still have the ridiculous 'traffic management' so your nice fast connection is pretty much crippled as soon as you try to use it to anywhere near its capacity?

3. Thanks to teejay from:

mac_shinobi (13th November 2013)

Thank Post
    So these price hikes are happening before the new rule comes into place giving you the right to cancel..?

Sly sods!

Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Do they still have the ridiculous 'traffic management' so your nice fast connection is pretty much crippled as soon as you try to use it to anywhere near its capacity?
    We've not been with VM since May due to moving, but with the 100Mbps we had with them it spent half of its time being throttled anyway. I doubt it's changed much since, absolutely pointless - you might as well just stick with the 30 and be done with it. I'm with BT Infinity now (70Mbps so a downgrade but I've hardly noticed) and although I swapped the Home Hub for my own router (HH is quite locked down and very unstable, I've never had to turn something 'off and on again' as many times as I did with that.) it's been great, and not nearly throttled as much as our VM connection was.
    Last edited by TBlax; 13th November 2013 at 11:07 AM.

5. 2 Thanks to TBlax:

mac_shinobi (13th November 2013), zag (15th November 2013)

Thank Post
    I moved to BT in April and although connection speed is lower the throughput is better and I can now watch a HD youtube video without buffering.

Thank Post
    With the whole BT sport deal it may not be quite as good but if like me you take Sky line rental, which is cheaper than BT line rental and you don't get stung for the low usage charges! I also have Sky Fibre which involves a BT engineer installing an Infinity connection and paying 20 for the BB. I'm getting on average 80Mbps down and 15Mbps up in an area where ADSL wasn't even close to a 2MB connection. Happy days!

Thank Post
    .. Low usage charges?

I've heard it all now.

Thank Post
    Not got BT Infinity in our area but after the experience I had with virgin media I will never EVER go back to VM !! I would much rather stick with ADSL2+ on Sky until BT Infinity is available than go with VM and constantly get throttled and over charged

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    .. Low usage charges?

I've heard it all now.
    yup if you don't make 3 calls a month thinks like caller display cost money (I don't only have a landline for broadband)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    I moved to BT in April and although connection speed is lower the throughput is better and I can now watch a HD youtube video without buffering.
    Me too. I've gone from a supposed 30mb line to <8mb yet actual real life throughput and more importantly latency is much better. With VM I could only play online games from 5pm-5.45pm (kids tea time?) and in the middle of the night, now it's rare that I get any lag.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    In case you were not aware, Virgin Media is to raise its prices by 6.7% in February.
    What??!! Again??!! They seem to put up their prices several times a year in my experience. Only just gone up in September.

Two years ago, I cancelled my phone line and TV subscription and was paying 18 a month just for broadband. I'm now paying over 26 a month. Think it's time to call them and tell them I don't want to pay that much and see where it gets me (they've been pretty good like that in the past). If they don't want to budge, then I'll just cancel. Don't use the Internet that much at home anyway.
    Last edited by StevieM; 13th November 2013 at 01:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Ive not had any issues with VM, got 100mb broadband, yeah we don't get that fully but Ive never had a problem with internet at all,

Internet usage at its peak would be me playing my xbox online, surfing wb and streaming music, My mum surfing web and listening to radio, my brother streaming video and music.

Never had an issue at all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,995 Times in 934 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    What??!! Again??!! They seem to put up their prices several times a year in my experience. Only just gone up in September.

Two years ago, I cancelled my phone line and TV subscription and was paying 18 a month just for broadband. I'm now paying over 26 a month. Think it's time to call them and tell them I don't want to pay that much and see where it gets me (they've been pretty good like that in the past). If they don't want to budge, then I'll just cancel. Don't use the Internet that much at home anyway.
    Did a similar thing this summer. Took may package down to the base level (Tivo + broadband) as I was paying almost 70 per month and they agreed to limit it to 30 per month. Once more charges have come in and it has crawled up to 38 on average now).
    I'm going to get rid of cable and get a HD Freeview recorder in the summer. May cancel broadband (everything) if their prices are silly by then.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailstar View Post
    Ive not had any issues with VM, got 100mb broadband, yeah we don't get that fully but Ive never had a problem with internet at all
    Nor me, to be honest. I'm happy with the service. What I'm not happy about is the fact that it has gone up in price by almost 50% in less than 2 years!

Thank Post
    For further clarification, this is how my bills have increased with no change to my services (apart from the statutory upgrade from 10MB to 30MB)

Nov 11 - Mar 12: 18pm
    Apr 12 - Jul 12: 19.50pm
    Aug 12: 19.95 (No idea where the extra 45p charge came from!)
    Sep 12 - Jan 13: 19.50pm
    Feb 13 - Jul 13: 20.65pm
    Aug 13: 21.35
    Sep 13: 23.65
    Oct 13: 26.15

Shome mishtake, shurely?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,274 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I left VM after the first year and switched everything to sky. I get more channels, I get faster internet (never had it throttled), and better deal for having tv/phone/broadband with them. I pay 49 a month for everything but sports, their top phone and internet deal.

18. Thanks to nephilim from:

mac_shinobi (13th November 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast