+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Virgin Media Broadband Price Rise in General; ...

Thank Post
    I've thought about switching but every other provider requires that you pay telephone line rental. I don't have, nor want, a landline phone and TV bundles are no use as I don't watch TV. I only want Internet access but I'm darned if I'm paying £26+ a month for it.

Thank Post
    I rang VM this May to tell them we were moving address. When they told me they couldn't provide any services to the area (6 year old area), the only option I had was to cancel. They demanded I pay a £182 cancellation fee for, and I quote, "not taking our services with you." - I can't quite understand why I'm being charged for not taking services that can't be provided. I even questioned the guy on the phone about this and asked him personally to think logically about it, and he couldn't give me an answer without changing the subject.

I was left very disappointed. We'd been a customer since the NTL/Blueyonder days (2001ish) with no gaps, and yet when it comes down to money you're treated no different than an outsider. There's certainly no "Valued customer" status these days is there? I can appreciate cancelling a contract isn't just something anybody can do willynilly as companies have rights as well, and maybe it would've helped if I'd checked before hand - but I don't see why I should be penalised on where I live because I can't get my TiVo or Super-Throttled 100Mbps fibre optic broadband provided there. Absolutely mad. I had the last laugh though, as I never paid the £182 or the final bill
    Last edited by Fleetwood; 13th November 2013 at 03:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I left VM after the first year and switched everything to sky. I get more channels, I get faster internet (never had it throttled), and better deal for having tv/phone/broadband with them. I pay £49 a month for everything but sports, their top phone and internet deal.
    Not sure how ya managed that but we have to call them again on or around the 10th of December to see regards to a discount etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ring and ask...lol. Be polite, explain your situation, that you love their channels etc...bam...discount

5. Thanks to nephilim from:

mac_shinobi (13th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Ring and ask...lol. Be polite, explain your situation, that you love their channels etc...bam...discount
    ^ This. Don't ring up and go on the offensive straight away with statements like "my mate Dave from down the pub says he pays..."

Never had a problem getting discounts.

7. Thanks to j17sparky from:

mac_shinobi (13th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Their portal tells me the speed increase from 60 to 100 should be available half way through next year. Do you think they will postpone their price increases to the same time?

I'm lucky I'm on their mates rates package but with My BT line offering 4meg I'm stuck with them for internet (the BT infinity speed estimate is 19meg).

Slightest sniff of a recovery in the economy and everyone hikes their prices

Thank Post
    What is it with their need to keep pumping up the speed? Do residential properties really need it? I'd rather have a slower, reliable connection, at a good price, than pay for something I'd never benefit from. Seems you don't have a choice though as all their packages are expensive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    What is it with their need to keep pumping up the speed? Do residential properties really need it? I'd rather have a slower, reliable connection, at a good price, than pay for something I'd never benefit from. Seems you don't have a choice though as all their packages are expensive.
    Simply marketing. The business model is for maximum revenue, and they can charge a premium price for a premium service. It's possible to move to a lower tariff if you ask, but the savings are small.
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 14th November 2013 at 11:42 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,004 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do note that Virgin now have a broadband only package without the need for a phone line (cable only I think): Virgin Media - Compare the best broadband deals & packages from Virgin Media

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I do note that Virgin now have a broadband only package without the need for a phone line (cable only I think): Virgin Media - Compare the best broadband deals & packages from Virgin Media
    Indeed they do. That's what I have on the lowest level and it was to this package I was referring in post #14.

13. Thanks to StevieM from:

Dos_Box (15th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    What is it with their need to keep pumping up the speed?
    Because 100 > 40. Your average Joe doesn't understand contention ratios, latency, bandwidth throttling... They just see 100 and think "well it must be better than 40"

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    They've had it for a while. It's also just a 12 month contract rather than 18 months. However it's only a couple of quid cheaper than getting the phone with free calls... And yep cable only.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12