+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Online Purchasing 1 High Street 0 in General; I was browsing eBuyer last night, about 21.45 and I noticed their little advert saying '44 minutes left for next ...

Thank Post

Online Purchasing 1 High Street 0

I was browsing eBuyer last night, about 21.45 and I noticed their little advert saying '44 minutes left for next day free delivery'.So I ordered an illuminated keyboard. Next day free delivery. 8 inc. vat.It was delivered at 11.13, while I was out for a smoke.Online Purchasing 1 High Street 0

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    It amazes me that people still go high street shopping. I'm not knocking shops and it'll be a damn shame if they all shut down because of online shopping, but they're just not at all competitive. I've stood and argued with the manager in my local Game because they wouldn't price match to their own website. Yes, I know the website is run as a separate company in the background, yes I know shops have higher overheads, but at the end of the day if I can save 10 of my hard earned cash, I'm going to!

I think the way for shops to survive will be to act as front of house services to online shops, pretty much like Scan do. You can pop in store and buy if you want or order online and collect. Overheads are reduced massively by being absorbed mostly in to the warehouse costs. Best of both worlds.

Thank Post
    The thing is, I quite like 'High Street' shopping. I like to go 'touchy-feeley' when I want to buy something, and I'm buying a lot of stuff since I moved house in August.

I wanted a new kitchen knife-set to go in my new kitchen, saw one I liked online. I went to Stevenage, Hatfield, Luton, Welwyn Garden City (awful for shopping, just awful), and eventually gave up searching for it in a shop and ordered it online, Thursday evening. Royal Mail delivered it last Saturday lunchtime (!) which amazed me for a start.

Red Voodoo II Knife Block - New Edition

This one, if anyone's interested. I have a selection of photos to stick on it in times of stress.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Oh yeah for some things going and seeing the item is almost essential, I'll often have a browse around the shops just out of interest (though I try to avoid it as that's when I'm most likely to impulse buy). Problem is, I'll find something I like, immediately get my phone out and see if I can get it cheaper online. If the difference is less than 5 I'll just buy it in store, more than 10 I'll definitely order online if they won't price match. Anything in between depends how impatient I'm feeling

Thank Post
    I pretty much do all my shopping online except food and some items I need there and then.

I find it so much easier I did all my xmas shopping last year at the same website and everyone loved their presents, the items I wouldn't have been able to get anywhere in my home town or surrounding towns.

I try to do a bit of both but the internet is so much easier

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread