+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Opinions on migration from Exchange 2003 to Zimbra in General; http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/ev.../editions.mspx Exchange Server 2007 Client Access Licenses Exchange Server 2007 is offered in two client access license (CAL) editions: Standard ...

Thank Post

Re: Opinions on migration from Exchange 2003 to Zimbra

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/ev.../editions.mspx

Exchange Server 2007 Client Access Licenses

Exchange Server 2007 is offered in two client access license (CAL) editions: Standard CAL and Enterprise CAL.

• The Exchange Server Standard CAL provides access to e-mail, shared calendaring and Outlook Web Access (OWA). In addition you will get advancements that reduce the cost and complexity of the messaging system by giving IT Administrators the messaging protection their company demands, the anywhere access their end users want and the reliability they need.

• The Exchange Server Enterprise CAL is an additive CAL and requires that a Standard CAL is also purchased for each user or device. The Exchange Server Enterprise CAL provides access to Unified Messaging and advanced compliance, as well as Forefront Security for Exchange Server and Exchange Hosted Filtering for onsite and hosted antivirus and anti-spam protection.

A CAL is required for each user or device (depending on the license) accessing the server. Either version of the CAL may be run against either version of the server.

Thank Post

@Geoff: I still want to come down and see it in action... I was waiting for you to get back to me with a time!

Quickly, so not to further go off topic, I have device CALs for Exchange which means I have licensed all our kit. If I want to allow somebody to access it from any other computer I would either need to switch to user CALs or buy an ECL.

Anyway... what I think is important to discuss is the features required by a school... from my limited playing so far the Zimbra web interface is far nicer than OWA however the web-based administration tool can be annoying and common tasks may take longer.

The Zimlets in Zimbra look good too... the calendar zimlet is handy too - clicking a date in an email takes you to that date in the calendar.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    the Zimbra web interface is far nicer than OWA

Betterr than OWA 2007?

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/code/OWA/index.html

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

http://www.zimbra.com/products/screenshots.html

I think exchange owa 2007 is starting to catch up with zimbra, Exchange still misses a few features but its getting there. I guess MS were just waiting for some innovation to copy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Nice one OWA2007 - use a better browser but get a crapper interface? Nice.

Thank Post

@djm968: I am comparing with 2003 but I think that the Zimbra client is still nicer than that of 2007 (not least because of the superior compatibility across browsers... the non-IE version of OWA 2007 looks a little pants).

Check out http://www.zimbra.com/demos/zimbra_overview.html to find out more.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You just need a Zimbra MIS mashup and a way you go.

Thank Post

I think part of the reason I'm a little reluctant to go with Zimbra without Outlook is because I like having a physical file of my emails, etc.. on my machine offline..

I've gone with a MS Partners install of Exchange to test it out and that works ok too but going the whole hog with everything residing on a single machine and potentially going bye-bye as a result makes me nervous... I know backups are the key here but still.. I like a little redundancy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

@Geoff: I still want to come down and see it in action... I was waiting for you to get back to me with a time!
    Come whenever you want.

Thank Post

@djm968: I am comparing with 2003 but I think that the Zimbra client is still nicer than that of 2007 (not least because of the superior compatibility across browsers... the non-IE version of OWA 2007 looks a little pants).
    While I will concede that you have fair point about browser compatibility, I thought the original poster was looking at the pros and cons of migrating away from Exchange 2003.

What I fail to understand is why anyone would even consider moving their entire organisations email infrastructure to a completely different platform when E2K7 is now available and a far superior product to E2K3, other than the “licensing cost” savings.

E2K7 CALS are around £3.00 each (with OWA) and the Enterprise CALS (with UM) are and additional £4.00.

AFAIK an E2K7 external connector license will cover staff and students (perhaps someone can clarify this) I know WTS 2003 ECL does and in any case if you provide access to the Exchange server using OWA or another email client internally you would have already bought an Exchange 2003 CAL for each user or device anyway.
    was

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by djm968
    What I fail to understand is why anyone would even consider moving their entire organisations email infrastructure to a completely different platform when E2K7 is now available and a far superior product to E2K3
    Because alternative non-MS products offer better benefits, features, compatability and cost savings and/or don't want to be tied into a proprietary platform?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

To clarify my previous post. If you have User CALs you don't need a connector license. If you have Device CALs and want to allow external access to OWA, you do need a connector license.

Thank Post

contink wrote:
    "I think part of the reason I'm a little reluctant to go with Zimbra without Outlook is because I like having a physical file of my emails, etc.. on my machine offline.. "

contink, have you seen the Zimbra Desktop client, which is currently available for beta testing? http://www.zimbra.com/products/desktop.html The next update, scheduled for mid-December, will also allow the Zimbra Desktop client to serve as an IMAP or POP client -- meaning you can also pull in mail from other IMAP or POP services into the Zimbra Desktop client.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by qhortense
    contink, have you seen the Zimbra Desktop client, which is currently available for beta testing?
    I had but first to correct your slightly... It's still very much Alpha which as a developer I know means "BUGS!"

Still, it's a good option for the future and thanks for pointing it out

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    To clarify my previous post. If you have User CALs you don't need a connector license. If you have Device CALs and want to allow external access to OWA, you do need a connector license.
    I have yet to work out what the external connector is actually for. It doesn't cover users within the organisation. To quote MS

"Note: The External Connector license (EC) is an optional additional server license for external users that enables access to your servers running Exchange Server 2007. With this license, you do not need to buy individual Exchange Server CALs. The EC license is purchased for every copy of Exchange Server 2007 that can be accessed by the external user. An example of an external user is a person who is not an employee or similar personnel of the company or its affiliates. This license allows access to the Exchange server by an unlimited number of external users that can include, but is not limited to, business partners, suppliers, customers, retirees, and alumni. It is licensed per server"

It's really not very useful for schools as far as I can see, so you will need to license all your uses or all the devices that will connect to it, which can be expensive if you want staff and students to access it without using terminal services (which itself is also expensive).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast