+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, How much development work? in General; Alongside general hardware / software maintenance issues we always have to deal with, how much of your time is spent ...

Thank Post

How much development work?

Alongside general hardware / software maintenance issues we always have to deal with, how much of your time is spent developing / performing other computer activities (e.g. training etc)?

I enjoy the development side of things - I'm in the process of creating a website, I develop training materials (e.g. whiteboard use) for staff / pupils, and even host a few training sessions.

I like to use PHP, and ideally would like to be developing inhouse solutions to aid bookings, helpdesk, equipment monitoring / inventory etc. - This is restricted here somewhat.

Also What jobs do you have in the school apart from usual hardware / software support?

Thank Post

Re: How much development work?

due to the expansion of ICT equipment, we simply do not get the chance.
    I would like to develop an intranet so that regular questions such as "where can i find a A3 colour printer" or typical questions new staff need to have answered. This would cover all areas such as how to book support, ICT room locations, where we have scanners & printers etc.
    Then theres training staff to use the IWB's more aswell as using the activ votes, and tablets. As we are a language college it would be good to setup a few pc's in a different locale ie french, spanish (a creative way to test the kids)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

From our own technical point of view, these sort of things get put on the "back burner" as more important things need to be dealt with on daily basis. There have been a few exceptions though where SMT have seen a need for something (website, room booking system, publicity) and I have been given time to prioritise said tasks; but these are rare.

Training (with IWBs especially) is a little bit more important and has seen a lot of resources dedicated to this in the past years.

We have recently installed a Knowledge Base script - simple. We just need the time to populate it now! We need a new intranet, again... just need the time!

Thank Post

We now actually have a fair bit of time to spend on "development" - now that we're actually working to a framework we 're not seemingly firefighting stuff all the time. Sure there's the odd bits here and there but I would say that half plebby bits and the other half RnD

Thank Post

I've just spent the last two days doing some development, currently writing a PHP interface to link our Moodle database to CMIS, so when new students are added or students change groups in CMIS, moodle is automatically updated via this PHP script. I enjoy the sense of achievement when I get something like this to work, and I'm over halfway there with this project which isn't bad for 2 days work! (although the scripts need a great deal of tidying!)

Other recent development work includes external access of E-Portal and moodle, School website, various scripts to automate things, new cabling projects done in house, school intranet, students intranet, ICT Helpdesk, Asset management system, Toner Management system and a few other bits and pieces. All this is within the last year.

Mind you my job title is ICT Development Engineer, so you'd expect me to do a lot of development work really! Still don't get as much time to spend on it as I'd like mind you.

Mike.

Thank Post

Related to time consuming tasks - how many of you manage printer credits for staff / pupils? Is this a time consuming task updating these credits available? I'm worried time involved doing this task may affect time spent elsewhere?

Thank Post

I'm currently intermittently working on getting everything into Nagios (got the major stuff), tuning snort and packetfence, and a few other things.

Projects like this are interesting and keep me sane and so they are essential to the running of the school.

Thank Post

I manage pritner credits and to be honest it does not take much time at all. Originally when we first installed it, I had to spend a few weeks adjusting the credtis. I wanted to make sure we had done a full rota of the timetabled lessons(2 week rota). But once that was done it kind of runs itself now. I just adjust the credit values for the week if there is a lot of coursework printing to be done and reset it when finished.

We use Print Manager Plus and settled on a credit system which was reset every night. That way if I was off users only have to wait until the next day to print.

edit: I forgot to say, very little time for development work, and those things that I have looked at developing normally fall flat due to the users not willing to use them. I am hoping to get my teath into something before christmas though as I am actually catching up with my work at the moment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread