+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What is it with Ebay Buyers???? in General; Originally Posted by twin--turbo Ebay generaly have free listing weekends fortnightly. You only pay the final value fee . List ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Ebay generaly have free listing weekends fortnightly.

You only pay the final value fee.

List it at teh price you want and that should cut out most fo the chaff.

Rob
    Which now includes the postage as well. Greedy robbing ba*****.

Thank Post
    Indeed, so people end up putting p&p up to cover this extra fee, as well as cost of packaging etc...

I had someone complain after they paid and received a pair of shoes that £5 for p&p was too much and for that price they should have come with the box. Well (and this was just before RM changed their prices) if they came in a box it would have cost me £8 to post them.

I went off on one and basically said - you came, you saw, you buyed. end of.

I wonder if these people complain if they buy a new TV, get it delivered do they then complain to currys that they charged them too much delivery? I expect not.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    I'm afraid to say my mom has become an internet shopping troll. She won't order from anywhere but Amazon and even there only from resellers. I've ordered stuff for her from eBuyer, Scan, Play etc. in the past and after 3 days she's on the phone to me kicking off it hasn't been delivered yet. If her resellers send her a book with a mark on the cover that wasn't mentioned (I'm talking minor 'dents' that could easily have happened in posties bag) she'll email them kicking off and usually end up getting a full refund, P&P and all! Unfortunately the likes of eBay and Amazon's rating systems have created this strange breed of people who will post an item same day, sometimes at a loss, on an item that cost them 10p and they're selling for 12p, just to avoid negative rep. I find the whole thing weird frankly! Not that I won't order from eBay/Amazon resellers, I just don't order anything I think I might need to return - if you want customer support, order from a proper company!

4. Thanks to LosOjos from:

AMLightfoot (5th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Yeah, the free listing saves you a whole 10p!
    £0.01 - £0.99 = Free
    £1.00 - £4.99 = £0.15
    £5.00 - £14.99 = £0.25
    £15.00 - £29.99 = £0.50
    £30 - £99.99 = £1
    £100 > = £1.30

So if the OP say wants to list his item starting at £35, he has done that 3 times = £3 of listing fees.

As for postage, just up the item price and list with free postage so no one can complain. It does slow down sales some times, but if you have free listings weekend and time to wait then it works OK. Don't realy agree with the 10% on postage but understand the reasoning.

Use Myhermes drop off for most items now, I can take it to the local petrol station at 8PM rather than rushing to the local PO.

Rob

Thank Post
    I've stopped using Ebay to sell phones due to all of the annoying scammers. I have recently been using the sell my phone website, you don't always get as much as Ebay but I do find it much easier. I recently sold a HTC One S, they were going for between £60 and £120 on Ebay. sell my phone offered my £90. Stuck it in the free post bag and then got a cheque a couple of weeks later.

Thank Post
    Lots of places now have local selling places on Facebook. That tends to be my market stall of choice to sell things now. Might not get as a high a price but they sell for free and get picked up so no messing with packing etc.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I had a similar experience when I listed my Vectra on Autotrader - so many timewasters! People emailing me asking for complex and convoluted payment mechanisms and wanting to 'send a friend' to collect the car. I even specified 'Cash on collection' in the Ad. In the end I had 2 genuine queries - the first never turned up to our arranged viewing and I text him to find out if he was still interested and he said 'no, sorry, were you waiting for me?' (well DUH!) and the second ended up buying it. It was a nightmare though. I can see why people would prefer to use 'webuyanycar.com' even if you do only get 50% of the cars value!

I'm a prolific ebayer though - it is excellent for my crafting. We're not all charlatans although many sellers are.

Personally I will not buy any electrical goods on ebay. Too much hassle. I don't use ebay for anything over £50.
    Get a quote off Webuyanycar and use it as leverage in Part-Ex negotiations. I was quoted £175 by WBC for my Astra, dealer offered £100 part ex and upped it to £200. Take into account WBC valuation fees of £50, the dealer effectively beat them by £75. Being the last day of the month, taking interest in the new car and being willing to pay the full amount helps in your favour too.

I might have been able to sell it for more privately but it'd need more money spent on it than I'd get back. The insurance premium rebate alone is worth more than the car...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryMonkey View Post
    Which now includes the postage as well. Greedy robbing ba*****.
    You want greedy robbing bar stewards, you should see what they're doing on StubHub, their new ticket site.

I say "list ticket at £55". StubHub says "buyers will see £63.26". PITA, as I'm trying to position the price against other tickets listed there, so it's a constant tweaking game to get your price right, but whatever, fees are dealt with that way.

Except it then tells you "your payout will be £48.40". WTH? I put them up at £55, you add £8.26 (15%) on immediately as profit, then take another £6.60 (12%) as profit before you pay me. And how do you pay me? Oh right, PayPal - where you take another cut. They end up making about 25% of whatever you sell tickets for!

I'd rather be able to sell them on eBay where I know they'll be done and dusted in a week and I don't have to worry. Instead I'm constantly checking and tweaking prices. It's like selling bloody Veldspar in Eve all over again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Get a quote off Webuyanycar and use it as leverage in Part-Ex negotiations. I was quoted £175 by WBC for my Astra, dealer offered £100 part ex and upped it to £200. Take into account WBC valuation fees of £50, the dealer effectively beat them by £75. Being the last day of the month, taking interest in the new car and being willing to pay the full amount helps in your favour too.

I might have been able to sell it for more privately but it'd need more money spent on it than I'd get back. The insurance premium rebate alone is worth more than the car...

WBC valuations are a joke, they valued my old Merc at £130 ( not even scrap value ) and I sold it for £650

I have sold 4 cars on ebay over the last couple of years.

MK1 Golf (1.3i Converted )
    Volvo V40
    Merc C230
    Mondeo TDCI

All 4 sales were totaly painless, easy and I got what I wanted for the cars.

The secret is a full long honest description with lots of detail, good photographs, etc.

Too often you see listings for cars with.. " Focus, Good for age ring 077678437634" and no other information what so ever.

Rob

Thank Post
    I once sold my Samsung Omnia i900 on ebay back in the day.

The eventual buyer promptly opened a complaint the day he received the phone wanting to be compensated because the item was not as described. I think he wanted £100 back or something silly like that.

We back and forth'ed for a few days, ebay got involved, so did paypal. To cut a long story short he was asked to take the item to a police station for it to be documented what was missing (I kid you not) and compensation could be agreed.

I had a call a day later from paypal informing me it was settled and I had to provide zero compensation. The buyer did all of this because the tiny bit of string that looped the stylus to the phone had fallen off whilst I packaged it.

I think my negative feedback was removed three times due to foul and abusive language!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    WBC valuations are a joke, they valued my old Merc at £130 ( not even scrap value ) and I sold it for £650

I have sold 4 cars on ebay over the last couple of years.

MK1 Golf (1.3i Converted )
    Volvo V40
    Merc C230
    Mondeo TDCI

All 4 sales were totaly painless, easy and I got what I wanted for the cars.

The secret is a full long honest description with lots of detail, good photographs, etc.

Too often you see listings for cars with.. " Focus, Good for age ring 077678437634" and no other information what so ever.

Rob
    Indeed. The quote from WBAC was a joke - I got £900 for the Vectra in the end.

Thank Post
    Its sellers I'm having a problem with at the moment - three purchases from private sellers (not businesses) and all lousy:

First was the F1 2013 game for the XBOX. Listed as being the more expensive "classic" version with the extra tracks. When it arrived it wasn't. Seller claimed it was Ebay's fault because it wouldn't let her update the listing. Got my money back but had to go through Paypal to get my return postage refunded.

Second was an XBOX controller - missing the cable. Seller claimed they didn't know it was missing (all they sold was retro gaming stuff) and as far as they were concerned was complete. completely ignored me and the resolution centre. Ebay gave me a full refund and let me keep it.

Final one was another stab at buying the F1 game again. This time the seller lived two miles away, he was quick to reply to my questions and happy for me to collect and pay either cash or Paypal. When the auction ended he changed his mind and said he wanted paying by Paypal. This caused problems because of the integrated postage. I said that I'd pay the full amount and he could give me the postage cash back. Once I'd paid he stopped responding or answering his phone. Ebay made me wait a week before cancelling the transaction, they wouldn't even give me his address so I could pop round and give him a smack, erm I mean discuss it in person.

But Ebay business sellers - mainly ones for selling car accessories - completely faultless.
    Last edited by Gibbo; 5th November 2013 at 04:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Me too. I won some dumbbells from a private seller, which were obviously pay on collection. I contacted them and asked for their address, and received a reply "Text me". There are two problems here, which I pointed out. Firstly they didn't give me a phone number, and secondly I don't have a mobile phone. I said that I would be round on a specific evening, which they agreed to, and again asked for their address. Same reply as before. This went on for a bit, until they raised a non-payment case with ebay. At this point, I decided it just wasn't worth the effort and forwarded all of the emails to the complaints department, explaining that it was hard to pay when they wouldn't give me an address. Heard no more and AFAIK the non-payment case has been dropped.

Thank Post
    I've only had a problem with a seller once. I won a Cross Trainer. Local pickup- cash on collection. I stupidly trusted the person selling. tested the thing for all of 10 seconds and put it in the car. When I got home and set it up I found that after 10 minutes it started making a clunking noise on the right side as you pedal. Looked at the pedal, it has sellotape on it. clearly someone had tried to repair the clunking noise. Sent a message to the seller. No sorry didnt know anything about the sellotape or clunking noise and besides I tested it before I took it away. As I paid cash and didnt use paypal that was that!!!

I now have the damned thing sitting in the bedroom collecting dust as its too noisy to use. I shudder everytime I look at it and think of the money I wasted. I would put it back on Ebay but wouldnt want to do the same thing to someone else.

Thank Post
    I buy a LOT of fabric on Ebay for my various cosplay endeavours and have never had an issue. I always prefer to buy from businesses rather than individual sellers and other than fabric, I never pay more than £50 for something. @fiza You could relist it with photos and full details of the fault - someone with more expertise in Cross trainers might be able to fix it or get a spare part. If you are up front in the listing and people know what they are getting, you might at least get a bit of money back for it.

17. Thanks to AMLightfoot from:

fiza (10th November 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast