+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Firefighter strikes in General; ...
    Thank Post

Firefighter strikes

Do you support these strikes?

Personally I don't, not one bit!

I have a brother-in-law who was a fire fighter and he reitired at 50 (two years ago) after serving for just over 20 years. He lived in a firestation house for about 9 years where he paid next to nothing and so was able to rent his own house out which paid more than his mortgage. After him having his 'lump sum', his monthly pension is just £50 less than my monthly salary and he now continues to work as a freelance fire safety consultant which rakes him in an extra few grand a month too. Whilst he was serving, he used to also run a gardening business which he operated during his '4 off' days. Privilaged position me thinks!!!

On the other hand, an old school friend of mine says that there is no reason for firefighters no to be retiring until 60. He thinks that at 55 the frontline firefighters could go into training/community roles. However, he has said that he will also be taking advantage of the early retirement and will likely go and spend a few years in somewhere like Dubai where he could easily earn £70-80k.

One of the reasons for the striking is down the the possible increase in the retirement age to bring them more in line with the other emergency services. Quite right too I think!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Could you really expect a 60 year old man/women to have to run into a burning building?

3. Thanks to glennda from:

bodminman (4th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Honestly I don't support a single department/job/company striking. I know people will disagree, but to me it's blackmail. Give us money (Or XYZ...), or we won't work :P

There are many ways to try to do something without resorting to strikes all the time, which is just affecting the people you're actually working to try to help (whether firefighter/teacher/nurse w/e)

The more people who keep striking, the more often it'll happen, and thus the more people that get hurt/losses.

Just my two cents, and I know lots of people will rage But meh!

Steve
    Last edited by Steve21; 4th November 2013 at 08:04 AM.

5. 2 Thanks to Steve21:

bodminman (4th November 2013), clockend25 (4th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Could you really expect a 60 year old man/women to have to run into a burning building?
    Nope but there experience in a training capacity or within the community could be invaluable. Also, there's a lot more going on within a fire station than just fire fighting.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    I know people will disagree, but to me it's blackmail. Give us money (Or XYZ...), or we won't work
    Flip that... Do this dangerous/horrid job for less money, or we give the job to someone who will. Right to strike? I think so!

8. 3 Thanks to Andrew_C:

bodminman (4th November 2013), Earthling (5th November 2013), sparkeh (4th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    Nope but there experience in a training capacity or within the community could be invaluable. Also, there's a lot more going on within a fire station than just fire fighting.
    Sure there is. But if the job description for a fire fighter requires a physically fit person, then not being physically fit could be grounds for dismissal.

10. Thanks to pcstru from:

Thank Post
    If its such a doss job bodminman - why don't you become a fire fighter, instead of moaning?

12. Thanks to SpuffMonkey from:

sparkeh (4th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,769 Times in 1,191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Flip that... Do this dangerous/horrid job for less money, or we give the job to someone who will. Right to strike? I think so!
    Too right.
    If people are prepared to risk their own lives going into burning buildings to save others' lives they deserve every penny they earn without all this envy about their terms and conditions.
    Also, I genuinely believe that with the fire service they only strike when serious safety concerns are raised. Fire fighters care about their jobs and the service and striking is a big deal for them, they don't want to put people at risk unnecessarily.

14. Thanks to sparkeh from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    But what they are trying to say is that they couldn't do that as there isn't enough of those roles available for the extra staff that would be kept on from 55-60.
    @Steve21 - I agree with you - but they arn't arguing over pay on this strike. I don't believe in strike action personally (teachers etc) but on this occasion I have to say I believe they are probably correct with part of there argument.

16. Thanks to glennda from:

Thank Post
    Front line firefighters get the same money as reasonably paid network managers, at just over 60 I know what I would rather do. I have a lot of respect for what our emergency services do & if I needed a fireman to rescue my family from a blazing inferno I would be happier with someone who was young & fit rather than a 50-60 year old who is taking pills for high blood pressure due to work related stress!

18. 2 Thanks to broc:

bodminman (4th November 2013), sparkeh (4th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,465 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My mrs uncle is the chief station commander in Bedfordshire, when there is a large fire anywhere in the county (large being a 4 bedroom house or bigger building) then he goes, regardless of the time. He is the last to leave the scene, and he has to assess the health and safety of the fire fighters also. I spent a day with him at his job as he was hosting an open day for people, and literally as the crew sat down for lunch, the alarm rang and they had to go, leaving their food to go cold. Then they had to fill out reports when they were finish and couldn't leave for home until done.

Now imagine you being in a role where as soon as your alarm/pager goes off, you have to drop everything and work until the task is done, even if that means going beyond your shift without extra pay. You wouldn't like it. Another instance is this, you chop a car to get a person out of a car, and the person is to the point they're beyond saving, They deal with more death at scene than any other emergency service.

I fully support the fire fighter strikes, as they put up with a lot of rubbish from a lot of people and still do their job where many would have packed it in and given up.

20. 3 Thanks to nephilim:

bodminman (4th November 2013), Roberto (4th November 2013), sparkeh (4th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Honestly I don't support a single department/job/company striking. I know people will disagree, but to me it's blackmail. Give us money (Or XYZ...), or we won't work :P
    Generally, people don't get paid when they are on strike. Usually this puts the employer in a very strong position - Strike and you pay your mortgage from savings.
    There are many ways to try to do something without resorting to strikes all the time, which is just affecting the people you're actually working to try to help (whether firefighter/teacher/nurse w/e)
    No one goes on strike without having gone through some process of negotiation. When people strike, they see it as a last, not first resort. There are relatively few strikes these days.
    The more people who keep striking, the more often it'll happen, and thus the more people that get hurt/losses.

Just my two cents, and I know lots of people will rage But meh!
    Rage - no. What do you think people should be able to do to protest?

22. 2 Thanks to pcstru:

bodminman (4th November 2013), sparkeh (4th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Generally, people don't get paid when they are on strike. Usually this puts the employer in a very strong position - Strike and you pay your mortgage from savings.
    Aye I agree, but "the majority" of the strikes are normally linked to pay, whether increases/pension etc.

No one goes on strike without having gone through some process of negotiation. When people strike, they see it as a last, not first resort. There are relatively few strikes these days.
    Well I don't know how many there were before, but I mean this year alone it's been Post/Curriers, NHS, Teachers, Firemen, Police, Railways, Oil, all either threatening or actually striking, and that's just those I can think of offhand.

Rage - no. What do you think people should be able to do to protest?
    I just think as with all these things there's a time and place to do them, e.g. With firefighters, not the bonfire/fireworks weekend when most things will probably burn in the year.

The discussions are still on-going with all of these things, so it's not like it's hit the end of the road yet.

Just think as with all of these things, the point is to negotiate on both sides, not just argue, refuse to budge and then stop working (And this relates to all professions, not just firefighters)

Steve

24. Thanks to Steve21 from:

Thank Post
    So, those of you saying you're against strike action, what would you do in a situation where your employer was trying to make a change to your role which would leave you worse off? Just get your head down, tug your forelock and get on with it, like good little automatons?

26. Thanks to Sdrawkcab from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    But where do you draw the line? Can you expect a scaffolder to still be hanging under the Forth bridge at 60? Which professions involving regular physical activity qualify for early retirement and why do the others not qualify?

Personally I think we need more retraining programs for these people. A lot of employers won't give an unqualified 50 year old the time of day due to the training costs...
    Last edited by j17sparky; 4th November 2013 at 12:44 PM.

28. Thanks to j17sparky from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast