+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Firefighter strikes in General; Just because people are living longer does not mean they are staying 100% fit longer. A significant % of over ...

Thank Post
    Just because people are living longer does not mean they are staying 100% fit longer. A significant % of over 50's are now suffering with long-term health problems, some with multiple problems. This may not affect desk-jockeys (like us) or the career pools that politicians are mostly drawn from but it does affect those people who have to carry out hard physical work. If you accept the argument that we as a nation cannot afford for people to retire early because of pension costs then there needs to be suitable work available for people in the 50-70 age range who can no longer do jobs that demand a high level of fitness & stamina. Unfortunately ageism is still rife in the world of work, as the increasing number of unemployed over 50's will testify. UK employers have a very long track record of underinvestment in training, in the past they preferred to 'poach' staff from other companies. This needs to change too.

2. Thanks to broc from:

bodminman (4th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Lets not forget that firemen are not just doing hard physical work, they are doing hard physical work in buildings which are literally on fire.

4. Thanks to Sdrawkcab from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    If its such a doss job bodminman - why don't you become a fire fighter, instead of moaning?
    @SpuffMonkey - I am entitled to have my opinion on this or any other subject just like anyone else. Whether it is right or wrong that is still my opinion and that isn't moaning, it's having a point of view about something. After all aren't a majority of the posts on here from people having an opinion about such things or are we all just moaning!?! Also for your info I was a retained fire fighter up until 7 years ago.

I never said that the job itself is a 'doss'. In fact I do think that the job of a fire fighter is probably one of the most difficult around. I feel that the retirement age should be raised but whole heartedly also agree that they should not be put on the frontline right up to the retirement age as that just wouldn't be right on a number of levels. However, I do feel that there is more scope for fire fighters to re-invest their skills and experience through things like training, fire safety visits etc as suggested also by my fire fighter friend.

Thank Post
    I don't think some people realise how much demand on your body a job like this has.

You don up in breathing apparatus for the 20-30 minutes (that is the amount of air you have depending how hard you work) you come out drained no matter how fit you can be, it takes its toll on you. Admittedly its a once in a blue moon now that you have a working job with BA etc but you always need to be on your guard for it, I have known firefighters to work till 65 but they are retained (called by pager as and when needed) and they may only go 100 jobs a year, more of them will be car fires or animal rescues and very rarely see a house fire these days compared to those in the built up city areas that may have 2 or 3 fires of note a month.

It will all effect FF's one way or another.

7. Thanks to MatthewL from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    So, those of you saying you're against strike action, what would you do in a situation where your employer was trying to make a change to your role which would leave you worse off? Just get your head down, tug your forelock and get on with it, like good little automatons?
    Just quoting this for page 2 since none of the "don't strike" crew actually responded to me.

9. 2 Thanks to Sdrawkcab:

bodminman (5th November 2013), sparkeh (5th November 2013)

Thank Post
    . . . . . . . Just get your head down, tug your forelock and get on with it, like good little automatons?.
    Hi @Sdrawkcab,

That is something that all of us working in Education have had to do at some point over the years!

It isn't right just to roll over and accept but I too am not a great believer in strike action at all.

11. Thanks to bodminman from:

Steve21 (5th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    Just quoting this for page 2 since none of the "don't strike" crew actually responded to me.
    I think you're missing the point that not all strikes are due to things being changed that make you worse off, they're not all about decreasing pay/worse working conditions, a lot are "just not making you better".

Prime example is strikes over pay increases. You don't start a job with the assumption I'll quit if I don't get my pay increase every year. Does XYZ company always "deserve" a payrise each year? If they did it would be part of the contract. Sure you may "want, and hope" for a rise each year.

And then answer me this, do you think it's fair (or responsible) of people like firefighters to strike over bonfire/fireworks weekend? Would it hurt to delay their strikes another week/fortnight when there is statistically going to be less emergenies that need dealing with? No-one would disagree firefighters etc do a great job, but my original point still stands imo, that trying to bend someone over a barrel isn't the way forward when discussions are still ongoing.

As I already said I feel many strikes nowadays are just down to wanting an easy win, and effectively blackmail. Not all of them, and I never said that. I think there's always a time and a place for doing things.

Going onto a "non-firefighter" point, I don't get breaks as a support staff yet teachers do, so because I don't strike I'm in the wrong then? Based upon your arguement.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve21; 5th November 2013 at 08:31 AM.

13. Thanks to Steve21 from:

bodminman (5th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    And then answer me this, do you think it's fair (or responsible) of people like firefighters to strike over bonfire/fireworks weekend? Would it hurt to delay their strikes another week/fortnight when there is statistically going to be less emergenies that need dealing with?
    Why are there going to be more emergencies? If people choose to host a fireworks party while the firefighters are on strike, that is their lookout. It's not as if putting on a fireworks display isn't a *choice* people have. Nor are Fireworks some kind of inalienable right. Perhaps if people properly assessed the risk, a fire-fighters strike over bonfire night would reduce casualties since sensible people wouldn't bother.

There really is no good time for a fire fighters strike. Whenever they do so, they will be accused of abandoning those who need them.
    Last edited by pcstru; 5th November 2013 at 08:42 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12