+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Halloween - To answer or not to answer? in General; My sister's village organises through the parish: Display the pumpkin poster that's circulated with the parish newsletter and they'll call... ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,595 Posts
    My sister's village organises through the parish: Display the pumpkin poster that's circulated with the parish newsletter and they'll call... no pumpkin poster, no bother.

For us a simple note in the window 'no trick or treat please' does the job. Not that we are home tonight anyway; it's up to our offspring who are big and ugly enough to look after themselves!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Used to have to do a sign, basically no Halloween but the new place is at the end of a long road up a long driveway with lots of trees, so it is actually scary all by itself so no trick or treaters this year even without a sign on the gate

Thank Post
    Our estate tends to be pretty good, there is a very definite no pumpkin no knock policy.

We decorated our house this year though, and had quite a few knocks....certainly enough to get through a large tub of hero's anyway! Most were youngish kids with an adult, one group of two lads who weren't actually wearing any sort of costume....came in jeans and hoodies....scared the cr*p out of a group of our year 7 girls when I opened the door wearing a witches hat. Definitely got a couple of screams when they saw who it was :-)

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TBlax View Post
    Just curious to see who answers their doors to trick or treaters and who doesn't. I personally don't, and won't ever, and wish common sense would apply to some people (if I've not answered it means I haven't got any treats so see no point in opening the door to give false hope to your children, so there's also no need to shout abuse or calling me a "spoilt sport ") or at least adopt a "No decorations/no lights = no knock" rule but I'm just an anti-social 20 year old grump bag.

What have you all been doing?
    Nothing. I used to like halloween but now its just the anniversary of my mother's death, so I don't see much to enjoy from it now. To be fair, the kids round my way are pretty good at the whole 'no porch light on = don't bother calling' thing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We don't, we don't particularly like the idea of it. I don't like it anyway as I think it's a fairly daft American tradition (as I'm half American some find this odd!). When the kids are a little older they will have free choice anyway, if they want to go out and Trick or Treat they're welcome.
    I personally find it a bit of a shame that it has long overshadowed a good old British tradition (Penny for the Guy) at around the same time. People made a lot of effort into their Guys back in the day! Granted a lot of kids & families put good effort into costumes which is always good to see, but each to their own!

(Maybe I'm just a grumpy old git who looks horrible and ugly enough without a costume! )

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    Yes, I do. I put out a carved pumpkin and give out sweets. Every single group had a parent with them and the oldest was about 11 although loads were younger. Some of the costumes were quite elaborate!
    I know it is an imported tradition but frankly life needs more fun - just a shame it is so close to bonfire night

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    just a shame it is so close to bonfire night
    Shame? It just means you have to keep the party going for 6 days!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had a full window display with 2 amazing pumpkins Mrs Dos_Box did (photos to come). One was the obligatory cannibal pumpkin and the other an Angry Birds pig pumpkin. Pretty nice they were too!
    We also went though an entire tin of roses, some Haribo, sherbet dips and other assorted sweets. The evening was cut short for most trick-or-treaters though as we had torrential rain from 6:30
    Thankfully almost all of the younger children in the neighborhood had already been around.

Thank Post
    I *always* go out on 31st Oct. No idea if they knock or not. They probably get the message after over a decade.

Thank Post
    I was laid up in bed yesterday and through the night so I don't know if they came or not. A few years ago I kept a supersoaker behind the door and when they came knocking, I said "trick" and give them a squirt! As far as I'm concerned trick or treat works both ways. After they got the squirt, they still got sweets but funnily enough, no one came at all in the following years.

Thank Post
    Haha! They all say "Trick Or Treat!?" but in reality they are only interested in the treat and we'd probably get a good kicking judging by the parents we seen hanging around the bottom of the drive.....

Thank Post
    No knocks at all last night, well, except for a few friends who showed up after dropping little brothers / sisters off else where and wanted to escape for a few.

The costumes around our end were really poor, I think I saw maybe one or two full costumes? Everything else was just "how do I dress up for halloween.. oh, add a mask to my tracksuit"

Thank Post
    We had some knock whilst putting the kids to bed, they were ignored. Then the missus got one who shouted through the letterbox "open the door".

They got the rough end of her..heh. It was a halloween event at Attingham park yesterday(didn't realise), and I took the kids for a little walk to wear them out...as we were coming out through the dark woods around 5.10pm, there were kids and adults in all sorts of costumes/makeup, and it freaked my little girl (4 this month) right out. One jumped out and "rar"'d at her...I tell you, if I'd had a bloody stick....grr...

I tried to explain about "All Hallows Eve"..what people think, why etc...she got very jumpy. I did explain it was a load of bunk, no such things as witches, no, not even nanny etc. Yet I still had to drive home with the car internal lights on and doors locked. I really don't hold with it. Pratchett had it right with Susan Sto Helit's approach -

"When a child complains about a monster in the cupboard or under the bed, most parents would go to great lengths to carefully explain to the child that there is no monster. Susan, on the other hand, simply hands the child a suitable weapon with which to assault the monster, or goes and does it herself."

In earlier years I used that approach, but the missus frowned on it..plus I started finding my leatherman under tiddlers pillow..

14. Thanks to Sirbendy from:

E_G_R2 (1st November 2013)

Thank Post
    Thought I'd share our pumpkin with you all :-)

Halloween - To answer or not to answer?-pumpkin.jpg

Thank Post
    Was on my own here last night. I had some lights on and just simply ignored people knocking at the door.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast