+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, IT Support Volunteers Wanted by RNIB in General; Okay, this is IT-related, but isn't school-related, so I think it's okay on this board... The RNIB (Royal National Institute ...
    Thank Post

IT Support Volunteers Wanted by RNIB

Okay, this is IT-related, but isn't school-related, so I think it's okay on this board...

The RNIB (Royal National Institute for Blind and Partially-Sighted People) provide technical support for members' home computers, supporting access technologies for the visually-impaired as well as "normal" software and hardware; their clients are not necessarily completely blind, many are only partially-sighted or have a specific visual impairment. This support is given by a small army of local volunteers who give a few hours of their time on an ad-hoc basis - unfortunately, this army is too small and the RNIB are looking for more people who could assist them in this way.

They need volunteers all over the country, however right now are particularly interested in finding more people in the OX postcode region, as well as MK and NN. You can choose how large or small your area is, there is no minimum time commitment as you are only called on when someone needs help, and you are free to decline any job if its not convenient (the clients contact RNIB who in turn contact you).

If you feel this is something which you could do, or want a bit more information about what it entails, please contact me either on this thread of by PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: IT Support Volunteers Wanted by RNIB

That sounds a very worth-while cause, Nick.. how did you find out about this, are you affiliated with the RNIB or friends/family?

Thank Post

I am one of RNIB's volunteers, and I found out about it via IT4Communities, an organisation which tries to find volunteers to assist charities with specific IT projects.

The RNIB is a charity which has been close to me since my late grandmother was diagnosed with glaucoma and spent her latter years in RNIB sheltered accommodation. She was reliant on Radio 4 for the news and the only books or information to which she had access was the tiny amount which had been recorded to tape (and this was before the recent uptake in audio books) or what her carers could read to her. The breadth of information now available on the Internet changes that, so for many blind and partially-sighted people, their computers are essential parts of their lives (even more so than they are for geeks like us!).

The work I do for them enables me to meet some wonderful people and provide IT support in an environment where the user is genuinely grateful and doesn't make stupid demands (but does make coffee!) - it's everything I like about my job without any of the things I don't!

Thank Post

how much do they pay?

*I'll get my coat*

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by StewartKnight
    how much do they pay?
    Pretty much the same as some schools pay their IT techs :-)

Thank Post

You can do some good work - I was an RNIB volunteer for many years - but I got a bit hacked off after a visit to their HQ - not just the huge foyer with fountains and water feature - but the woman who was showing me round talking about how she had flown up from London that morning (to Peterborough) because it was so much better than driving.

I started to wonder why I was giving my time for free...

PEO
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey
    You can do some good work - I was an RNIB volunteer for many years - but I got a bit hacked off after a visit to their HQ - not just the huge foyer with fountains and water feature - but the woman who was showing me round talking about how she had flown up from London that morning (to Peterborough) because it was so much better than driving.

I started to wonder why I was giving my time for free...
    thats shocking

Thank Post

That is awful. Weren't NSPCC pulled up recently too for spending more on marketing than they did on projects?

Maybe the thing to do is to concentrate on the benefit you bring to the person you're working with; that is good, even if the bigger picture is a bit bleaker.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread