+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Time to move? in General; Ok, so this is something that I have been thinking about for a while and would like the opinion of ...
    Thank Post

Time to move?

Ok, so this is something that I have been thinking about for a while and would like the opinion of my fellow edugeekers as to what I should do?

Bit of background, 10 years ago I had the opportunity to go to Australia to visit friends (long time friends who emigrated a long time ago). I was there for 6 months and loved every minute. Now, understand at the time I was only 18 and (through various donations from family etc) had enough money to live out there without having to work - basically it was a 6 month holiday! Even though it was a holiday I did manage to get quite an insight into working life, after all the people I was visiting/ living with had jobs had to pay bills sort out taxes and all that. I also got an insight into school life too, the family I was with had kids that were in I think our equivalent of primary school (although was upper years age 8 or 9).

So to the point of this trip into my past, I've been thinking of going back to live and work, like I say I've been thinking about it for a while. I've looked into the Skilled Occupation List and it appears that I should be ok on that front. From a personal point of view, I have no children, I'm single and still under 30 (which I think helps too) I don't have a mortgage or anything else really that is going to tie me down financially, yes OK I have family but I would like to think they would understand plus they can always come visit or if I'm desperate there is Skype

For me it's just the possibility of a fresh start. I know some of you here have made the move and although your experiences may not be exactly the same, I would like to know how you have found it? What is the job market like at the minute? Cost of living and all that. I also understand that everyone has been affected by the global financial crap too which may be a downside of looking to move now.

So what are your thoughts, should I? shouldnt I? I know there are no easy answers and typically no right ones, I'm looking for opinions and hopefully some advice from people with first hand experience.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice

Thank Post
    Just back from a holiday out there staying with various ex-pat mates. I was struck by just how happy and settled they all are. None of them can imagine moving back.

Sadly I'm 10 years older than you or I'd be getting that 2 year visa and jetting off asap. I think that visa has some odd stuff about doing agricultural work and what-not but I imagine it'd be easier to gain proper sponsorship from a company when in country.

Australia mostly missed the last recession but their economy is heavily linked to China (raw material exports etc) so if/when the economy there shrinks then Oz will feel it. It's already really expensive ($10 a pint!) but the wages and standard of living are much better than over here.

What have you got to lose?

3. Thanks to midweek from:

sister_annex (30th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I worked in Brisbane for 7 months. Loved it. I also went to other cities with work. Where you thinking of going?

Things are expensive out there, but only if your a tourist. The pay is good. The company i work for are looking for people just to put a PC on a desk and plug it in. They pay $1,200 a week.
    @midweek where where you buy pints (or you may mean a schooner) for $10??? Never saw them that expensive.

5. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    My question would be, why you still here
    Get your bags packed and get on the first flight out there!
    If you go, you can always come back, if you don't go you will always wish you had.

7. Thanks to teejay from:

Thank Post
    I second that ^ go out and try it, young(ish) free and single you have nothing to loose. Its not for everyone, many people come back to the UK but how will you know unless you go and find out?

9. Thanks to E_G_R2 from:

Thank Post
    As an ex-pat Aussie, I'd say go for it. I would be back tomorrow if I could. It's a much better way of life there. We used to work 9:00am to 5:00pm and be on the beach for 5:30. I used to work for a financial clearing house, and we rarely worked out of hours, unlike here where in the same sort of company, we were expected to work past quitting time. I always refused to sign the opt out for the Working Time Directive, much to the annoyance of my various bosses. Food is cheaper in Oz and better quality too. For instance, a carton of orange juice is usually made from squeezed oranges, not concentrate, there is no BSE in your meat and vegetables have flavour. Petrol is half the cost there, but it's still too expensive. Australia is self sufficient in oil and gas yet they still pay OPEC prices. The only downsize is traveling. It's a huge country and foreigners don't realise that. It was a four hour drive for me to visit my parents. OK, so you can do a four hour drive here, but rather than doing 200 kms it would be 350+kms back home in the same time frame.

As to the job market in Oz, it depends on where you want to live. I'm from Adelaide, and this is where I would like to return to. My ex-brother in law (very highly qualified in Oracle), can't get work there, and so works in Melbourne, commuting home just on the weekend to see his daughters. Often, the work in Melbourne is hard to find, so he is quite regularly in Sydney. He could be too highly qualified, of course, though I doubt it.

11. Thanks to unixman_again from:

Thank Post
    I'm taking the plunge in December, NZ not Australia though. I'm 30, have a 2 year working holiday visa and I'm in the same boat as you really, no kids or mortgage etc...

I have a job in a school doing IT support! Better money (by 7k) and a company car, so it's financially better and I'll be able to surf warm seas every weekend!

I say go for it. Even if it's just a year or two, you've got nothing to lose.

13. Thanks to ben604 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would love to go abroad, but I think it takes guts to do it, something I am sadly lacking! Its a big move, no friends or family out there....but I would still LOVE to do it! If you want to, and can do it!....then do it!

15. Thanks to mmoseley from:

Thank Post
    Thanks all, your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated
    @FN-GM not entirely sure where I'm looking atm. My friend lives with his partner in Brisbane so may look around there, at least then there'll be one person I know and if needs be I'm sure he'd put me up for a bit until I got settled.

$10 for a pint!! Seems a bit expensive, but then I suppose you pay that sort of equivalent if you go to some of the more up market establishments in the big cities

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 959 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Better to regret the things you've done than the things you didn't do.

(Not been to Aus, but did work a year in Switzerland, and it were some of the finest times o' my life. Do it!)

18. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sister_annex View Post
    Thanks all, your thoughts and opinions are much appreciated
    @FN-GM not entirely sure where I'm looking atm. My friend lives with his partner in Brisbane so may look around there, at least then there'll be one person I know and if needs be I'm sure he'd put me up for a bit until I got settled.

$10 for a pint!! Seems a bit expensive, but then I suppose you pay that sort of equivalent if you go to some of the more up market establishments in the big cities

Worked in Brisbane and Sydney. Personally Brisbane is better. There are some nice properties in the North side. The transport links in Brisbane are excellent. Both the Busses and the trains are state owned and they provide a good service. I lived 45 mins away (by bus) from the city. The busses where every 10 minutes during rush hour and 15 for off peak.

Thank Post
    When I went back in 2003 the family I stayed with were on the sunshine coast which was about an hour and half north of Brisbane so managed to get to go there a couple of times - It was a nice city then, so I expect that it has only got better...

Do you know what rental/ house prices are like? Or could you point me somewhere that may have this info? Also did you use any agency to help with visas and applications etc, I know there are plenty that will help for a fee but I don't really want to spend money if it's not worth it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @sister_annex:

My daughter came with us on holiday this year to Cape Verde, when we got back she finished with her boyfriend and got online to arrange working in a school as a volunteer, she now has a position with this school as just this, she has arranged accommodation for the first 3 months to which we have stated we will support her then she will be on her own.

I am so proud of her even though a part of me is hurting I feel she has done the right thing for her.

What I am saying is if you want to do this then do it now before it becomes too late and you regret not going.

Good luck and bon voyage!

22. Thanks to bossman from:

Thank Post
    Thanks @bossman I think I'm at least going to have to talk it through with my parents...

24. Thanks to sister_annex from:

bossman (30th October 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread