+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, When in Rome... in General; Well chuffed! After a couple of years without a main holiday, me and the wife have booked flights to go ...

Thank Post

When in Rome...

Well chuffed! After a couple of years without a main holiday, me and the wife have booked flights to go to Italy next August! We're having 4 days in Rome and 3 days in Naples. Rome for the sights, Naples for the pizza and gelato!

Apart from the main tourist sights, any recommendations on things to see/do or places to eat?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    The nice thing about Rome is that most of the "sights" are within walking distance of each other. So you can look at a map and plan a walk that will take you to all the main things quite easily, with suitable stops for gelati at regular intervals

3. Thanks to witch from:

Rawns (29th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Sorry, I only know Venice, Verona, Nevara, and Florence but I'll be interested in seeing what the suggestions are for these places as we to are thinking of a little break to Rome late next year!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just pulled a photo out from my trip to Italy with the Mrs. In Naples, we stayed near San Fernando docks in Hotel Miramare, there is a place called Bar Gelateria artigianale Cerasella, literally, the best Gelato/Ice Cream I've had in my life. Also the Reale San. Francesco di Paola Basilica is a lovely place to be
    Last edited by nephilim; 29th October 2013 at 08:54 PM.

6. Thanks to nephilim from:

Rawns (29th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Something I'd advise when anywhere in Italy, pickpockets are about in droves. Rome wasn't bad, but a friend had his wallet and phone taken from his jeans pockets, in Milan and Naples I only ever carried cash, no wallet or anything, and was pickpocketed myself in both locations. Not saying it is always like that, but it seems to be foreigners they prey on, and they do stick out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,641 Posts
    My eldest had her purse taken in Rome. I don't think it's any worse than any of the other European cities (Barcelona and Paris have bad reputations too), but take precautions. Don't put your wallet in a back pocket. Be aware that even an inside front pocket is easy to pick. And hold bags, securely closed, in front of you in crowded areas. Use the safe in your hotel room rather than carry all your valuables with you.

Thank Post
    Without wanting to dwell on a theme, something I learned in Rome, but applies anywhere: If you have joint credit cards with the person you're travelling with, make sure you have at least one each which is on a separate account. On a family holiday years ago, my Dad had his wallet nicked, so had to cancel his cards. They were all joint accounts with my Mum, so her cards stopped working too. Result = no meals out, no souvenirs, no entrance to tourist attractions. We still enjoyed Rome lots though, which tells you that there's plenty to do even without spending a fortune

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just came back a few weeks ago from Rome, last minute sort of thing; long weekend in Rome with the wife. Fascinating city. My advice... wear comfy shoes (I got blisters), be sensible with your belongings (don't let it spoil it too much) and look up; so much fascinating architecture all around you and most of it above you. I can only describe Rome as old, dirty, bonkers and cruddy but fascinating and relaxing at the same time. Good restaurants are ones off the main streets a bit that are family run, would recommend a place we found call '433 Next Bar', near Piazza Navona - lovely fresh pasta (of course), and another called Il Carallo, again great food. Both were not too expensive, even a Grande Beer was about 5 euros which is not too shabby for a restaurant - the hotel took the mick a bit charging 8 Euros a pint!!!

I downloaded the Trip Advisor's Rome app onto my Nexus 7 and used that as an electronic map and tour guide, proved great for finding where we were and locating the best Gelato, along with letting you keep a journal of places that you visited. Vatican and St. Peter's are just awe inspiring to see.

Loved it, will definitely go back in a few years time.

Pete

Thank Post
    We visited Rome a few years back - just one day though, as it was a stop on a cruise. Enough to know we must go back some time. We were stood staring at the Trevi (sp?) Fountain when we spotted one of the street mime artists going into a small cafe a few yards down a nearby side street. Thinking "if it's good enough for the locals" we followed him. We had one of the best pizzas I have ever had, salad and wine, for about 10 Euros for the two of us, when there were 2 euros to the pound. We're planning a return to Rome this spring, but I doubt we'll find that cafe again.

Thank Post
    Take your walking shoes and a map. There are so many things to see and plenty of really nice old churches, fountains, buildings, restaurants etc.

Thank Post
    In Rome, don't let anyone take your photo! Even with YOUR camera. They try to charge you extortionate amounts.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread