+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Meh F1. in General; Originally Posted by sonofsanta Why should I have to watch a different sport? Why can't I vent my frustration at ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Why should I have to watch a different sport? Why can't I vent my frustration at one I want to watch?
    Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound like "go away"! F1 and many other 'high level' racing leagues are IMO extremely tactical competitions rather than all out man vs man slug-fests; more chess than boxing. A lot of racing is the same, there is just too little between the cars and drivers to make overtaking possible, without someone bullying their way up the inside and relying on goodwill to avoid the accident. In lower leagues it's possible to watch the driver behind put the leader under pressure and sometimes that works, they make a mistake. When you get to F1 level, driver mistakes are rare - forcing one is extremely unlikely. So teams become ever more tactical - the best place to pass is the pits, the best way to pass is to make the very best use of the equipment, tyres just happen to be the biggest variable in that equipment mix.

Please feel be frustrated by that all you want! I don't think it _can_ really change. If you want some amazing racing, the best thing out there is probably MotoGP; but no, it doesn't really float my boat either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mean that to sound like "go away"!
    It did come across a bit like that but then I'm in a social grump because all the staff have come back and ruined my peace and quiet after half term last week, I very quickly get out the habit of dealing with people. SO I may be overly sensitive to these things.

F1 has always been torn between the team and the driver, team orders being the most visible (and egregious) example of that.

I might start making more of an effort to watch the rallying, actually, there's a hell of a lot of skill goes in to threading the needle through some of those bends at unbelievable speeds.

Thank Post
    F1 fans have changed a lot this year, and its not for the better. There's so much unjustified hate around just because of Vettel's success. Thankfully this has died out at more recent non Ferrari fan dominated tracks.

The BBC were saying that he's the only driver who puts in a staggering amount of time with the car, the team, the technicians and even going to Pirelli to see how the tyres are made and how they change and "cure" over time and under different conditions. But some people aren't seeing or caring about that, they just throw around stupid accusations like the team are making illegal mods.

Its like beating up the school swot for getting an A in his exams because he studied more.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    You missed off the "according to a report", so yet again its just speculation.

It goes on to say "Brawn and Mercedes have failed to reach an agreement on a role in which he would have been happy to stay at the team."

This is nothing new, Brawn said to the BBC a few weeks ago that discussions would be ongoing right until the very last race.

I think the only real accurate F1 speculation which has any credibility is from Eddie Jordan.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    But some people aren't seeing or caring about that, they just throw around stupid accusations like the team are making illegal mods.
    Nobody would care if Max Chilton was doing the same thing, they wouldn't care if Max was multiple world champion in the Red Bull either. The team clearly aren't making "illegal" mods, however, their interpretation of "spirit of the rules" leaves a lot to be desired. If the car was illegal, it wouldn't be allowed on track. If it passes all the FIA tests, then it must be legal and they're just better. The same applied to Jimmie Johnson over in NASCAR a few years ago - everyone always said that Hendrick Motorsport had been pushing the limits of what the rules allowed and sure they were caught suggesting he should hit the wall so that they could claim accident damage rather than risk the car being found illegal, but more often than not, the car passed the NASCAR tests post-race.

If you look around at the explanations about things that have come to light through the new temperature cameras etc, if Red Bull are doing stuff (like using materials that change when heated and cool down to normal to raise the floor when the car is on track), then they are doing some stunningly clever stuff... but is it in the spirit of the rules? Some don't believe so, however, when have F1 teams ever stayed within the spirit of the rules? If there's a loop hole or anything not specifically outlawed, then you can damn well be sure that some team somewhere is taking full advantage of it, while another team will have decided it's "not in the spirit of the rules".

Thank Post
    Not a big fan of Vettel/Red Bull, but loved him doing the donut and climbing the fence at the end of the race Oh and Kimi putting softs on for the final lap to take fastest lap from Vettel was hilarious

Lets just hope the new regs next year shake things up a bit, doubt it though as the fueld/energy restrictions are quite tight so not only will they be conserving tyres they will be conserving fuel.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Not a big fan of Vettel/Red Bull, but loved him doing the donut and climbing the fence at the end of the race Oh and Kimi putting softs on for the final lap to take fastest lap from Vettel was hilarious

Lets just hope the new regs next year shake things up a bit, doubt it though as the fueld/energy restrictions are quite tight so not only will they be conserving tyres they will be conserving fuel.
    Yes, but at the same time, they could shove the boost and fuel up quickly to make a pass, put a bit of distance between them and return to "cruising pace".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    but is it in the spirit of the rules? Some don't believe so, however, when have F1 teams ever stayed within the spirit of the rules?
    I love that anyone believes there is some vague notion of "spirit of the rules" in a sport where the difference between first and second place can valued at 10's of millions of pounds.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    Nobody would care if Max Chilton was doing the same thing, they wouldn't care if Max was multiple world champion in the Red Bull either.
    Exactly - Eddie Jordan's grid walk on Sunday - started at the front and stopped at P10. What about the rest of the drivers? Its becoming like Premier League football with just the top drivers getting coverage and the back of the grid getting little or nothing.

As for Max, didn't he hit someone on the first corner and cause them to retire? Why no coverage?

As for Seb, he's been pictured helping the crew dismantle the setup, like he normally does. Cue the rabble saying its just a PR opportunity to make him appear better.
    Last edited by Gibbo; 29th October 2013 at 03:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Would we be having this discussion if he was English???

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Damnright. Let's face it, people don't have trouble knocking Hamilton do they? Loads do.

Some more amusement, FIA have found that RB's floor doesn't move. Yup, that's "doesn't move" in the same way that their flexible wings that moved in front of everyone's eyes were in fact not flexible and didn't move whatsoever for the FIA. Sure.

Thank Post
    A key point that hasnt been mentioned is the change to tyre regulations mid season. Before Silverstone everyone was competitive on the '13 tyres. RBR didnt like that (ignore the safety concerns abotu Silverstone its a red herring) so they put unfair pressure on to get teh tyres back to '12 spec when they were dominant. So, everyone elses develpment on faster degrading tyres was wasted whilst RBR just went back to last years spec car and quell surprise dominated every race thereafter. Vettel is not a great. Vettel is not even brilliant. Vettel has a car with superior (illegal) engineering to any other car out there and that is a big part of why he wins so much. Please do not quote Webber not being at the same pace as some sort of defence because it isnt. Everyone knows Seb gets the good stuff before Webber and that Webber gets shafted an awful lot in that team. IF RBR could have one driver and pick up double constructor points then they would.

I dislike Horner, Vettel, and RBR. They are no better than playground bullies and have no interest in F1 as a sport at all.

Oh, while we are at it, I thought that track limits were being rigourously enforced at India......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefferzzzz View Post
    A key point that hasnt been mentioned is the change to tyre regulations mid season.
    *cough*

Anyway, now Seb has won he should sit out the rest of the season so everyone else can have their fun. Though arguably everyone else races like he's in the paddock anyway, the only difference being he's actually 30s and three corners ahead, out of sight.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post

Last edited by Hefferzzzz; 29th October 2013 at 03:59 PM.

16. Thanks to Hefferzzzz from:

sonofsanta (29th October 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123