+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Disruption to freeview due to 4g in General; Just seen this and thought id let others know... https://at800.tv/guide/received-a-postcard-from-at800/ Affected areas: https://at800.tv/faq/will-4g-masts-a...ew-in-my-area/...
    Thank Post

Disruption to freeview due to 4g

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've received a postcard, not had a filter yet.
    Nor have I seen any issue with my tv reception.
    I might send off for a filter soon though, just in case. :-)

Thank Post
    They said my area was affected but won't send a filter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I received a card months ago - the first question I asked myself was which person made the decision to use a frequency so close to that of Freeview in the first place!?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I received a card months ago - the first question I asked myself was which person made the decision to use a frequency so close to that of Freeview in the first place!?
    The DTI Probably.

Thank Post
    its all about milking money from mobile operators and forcing people onto satellite or cable so even more frequency can be given away (anyone would think murdoch had power enough to use regulation to force people to his platform sky)

why not kill off am radio and reuse those frequencies how many people use am these days

Thank Post
    I'm in the Black Country and received a card many months ago, which I filed away safely. Back in July, I lost all the channels on my Sony RDR-HXD890 DVD recorder and I thought the worse, that is the 4G has just been switched on. I hadn't received a filter from the company. Anyway I contacted them and was told that it had been switched over a few days before, so my loss of channels wasn't their fault. He asked me if it was a Sony and when I confirmed this, he said that Sony had pushed out a bad firmware update and had bricked everyone's recorder. Thanks Sony! While we were waiting for them to unbrick it, a bright spark on the Sony forums found out if you say you are in France when you scan for channels it's all OK. I assume Sony have since issued a corrected firmware update, but I haven't checked to see if my recorder has picked it up. It hasn't gone wrong since so why bother?

Of course, we never had these problems when we had proper analogue TV!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    why not kill off am radio and reuse those frequencies how many people use am these days
    Isn't AM and FM being killed off within the next 3-5 years?

Digital radio switchover will not be complete until 2019, four years later than initially predicted, according to the head of a government-appointed advice group.

Roger Darlington, chairman of the Digital Consumer Expert Group, said digital take-up had been "slower than many in the industry have hoped, if not expected".

Darlington said that if current trends were maintained the 50% digital listening threshold – at which point the government will decide on a concrete course of action for switchover – would be hit in the first half of 2016.

He said he expected switchover to take place in three phases, beginning with the whole of England except the south-west and Cumbria in 2017, the south west of England and all of Wales in 2018, and Scotland, Northern Ireland and Cumbria in 2019.

Early on in the digital switchover process the previous government had earmarked a loose target date of 2015, on the assumption that digital would account for 50% of listening by 2013.

This target date rapidly became an "aspiration" and now appears to have been left behind entirely.

Darlington hinted at the difficult conversations going on behind the scenes, saying some motor manufacturers had been uneasy about the switch to digital.

"Although everyone speaks enthusiastically, privately the motor industry has had some doubts and feels a bit manoeuvred by the government," Darlington told the Voice of the Listener and Viewer annual conference in central London on Wednesday. (Source)
    Last edited by Arthur; 27th October 2013 at 03:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Isn't AM and FM being killed off within the next 3-5 years?
    dab radio is an issue. fm you can put up with a weak signal dab cant. at home i have dab and the reception i iffy atmospherics can play havoc on the set in living room taking it from good to making awful squeeling noises. in car dads radio is dab but its very patchy apparently and just driving past buildings can reduce it to no signal so useless (factory fit radio so should be about as good a reception as your going to get) dosent help uk dab is an old standard thats been superseded by better standards elsewhere. also dosent help that most of the stations on dab are on fm so where's the incentive to charge from a working system with near blanket coverage to one that has patchy coverage and as a result isnt suited that well to cars probably the main arena for radio

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The issue there is that the frequency range you're referring to is no good for TV or mobile phones/data.

Thank Post
    dab radio is an issue. fm you can put up with a weak signal dab cant. at home i have dab and the reception i iffy atmospherics can play havoc on the set in living room taking it from good to making awful squeeling noises. in car dads radio is dab but its very patchy apparently and just driving past buildings can reduce it to no signal so useless (factory fit radio so should be about as good a reception as your going to get) dosent help uk dab is an old standard thats been superseded by better standards elsewhere. also dosent help that most of the stations on dab are on fm so where's the incentive to charge from a working system with near blanket coverage to one that has patchy coverage and as a result isnt suited that well to cars probably the main arena for radio
    There are two standards of DAB Radio - DAB and DAB+. The UK Government were reluctant initially to support or introduce DAB+ despite it being supported across the rest of Europe. I also believe it's better suited to a moving vehicle - something DAB was never designed for.

Since early 2013 I believe all new DAB Radios sold need to be DAB and DAB+ compatible. I think FM Radio over time will be phased out, but the problem is that you can still buy analogue Radios in 2013...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There are two standards of DAB Radio - DAB and DAB+. The UK Government were reluctant initially to support or introduce DAB+ despite it being supported across the rest of Europe. I also believe it's better suited to a moving vehicle - something DAB was never designed for.

Since early 2013 I believe all new DAB Radios sold need to be DAB and DAB+ compatible. I think FM Radio over time will be phased out, but the problem is that you can still buy analogue Radios in 2013...
    The last time I looked, which granted was a few years ago, dab radios where still over 50 more expensive than their analogue versions and all you got for that was crappy signal.especially where I live.

Thank Post

you can still get analogue as thats what people want dab is a failure imo. the only reason there are stations there is its a condition of running an fm station that you simulcast to dab. most of re dab only stations have gone due to not enough listeners to generate ad revenue

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    The last time I looked, which granted was a few years ago, dab radios where still over 50 more expensive than their analogue versions and all you got for that was crappy signal.especially where I live.
    I totally agree with you there! I guess having a chip that's DAB and DAB+ compatible probably bumps up the price even more.

Thank Post
    you can still get analogue as thats what people want dab is a failure imo. the only reason there are stations there is its a condition of running an fm station that you simulcast to dab. most of re dab only stations have gone due to not enough listeners to generate ad revenue
    I'm not so sure people want it to fail - digital TV has worked out pretty well via aerial or satellite. I think (as I wrote above) DAB wasn't designed for a moving signal, whereas DAB+ is, plus it offers superior listening quality too.

I think it's future will be a supply/demand issue. Once it's high in demand, prices should tumble.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast