+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
General Chat Thread, College Courses. in General; So it's coming up to the time where i need to pick a college course and i thought you guys ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    143
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Red face College Courses.

    So it's coming up to the time where i need to pick a college course and i thought you guys might know of any good courses i could do.
    I plan on trying to go to Colchester Institute, and here is the course i wanted to do (link). I thought as you guys work in the industry, you would know if was a good course to start with as i'm about to leave school. (In May/June - My school finish early for some reason)

    I know that i can start applying on the 1st of November.

    Cheers,
    Kieran

  2. #2
    hawc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in one of the Shires.....
    Posts
    784
    Thank Post
    73
    Thanked 80 Times in 61 Posts
    Rep Power
    38
    It might be worth seeing if you can do a CompTIA A+ between now and May/June

  3. Thanks to hawc from:

    kieransaul (25th October 2013)

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    143
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    It might be worth seeing if you can do a CompTIA A+ between now and May/June
    Thank you for the reply

    If I did have the opportunity to do the course, would have to study the course at home or would I have to ask a local training provider for help?

    Kieran

  5. #4
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,496
    Thank Post
    123
    Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by kieransaul View Post
    So it's coming up to the time where i need to pick a college course and i thought you guys might know of any good courses i could do.
    I plan on trying to go to Colchester Institute, and here is the course i wanted to do (link). I thought as you guys work in the industry, you would know if was a good course to start with as i'm about to leave school. (In May/June - My school finish early for some reason)

    I know that i can start applying on the 1st of November.

    Cheers,
    Kieran
    16 hour as a day for 1 week and on the 2nd you could do your test.

    This is with online training and resources.

    Have a look around online if interested

  6. Thanks to Sunnyknight from:

    kieransaul (25th October 2013)

  7. #5

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    143
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    16 hour as a day for 1 week and on the 2nd you could do your test.

    This is with online training and resources.

    Have a look around online if interested
    Sorry for the slow response, i'm currently replying in media studies lesson :P

    Is this for the College course or the CompTIA A+ course?

    I would like to do a apprenticeship over a college course because i would get the real-life experience.

    Kieran
    Last edited by kieransaul; 25th October 2013 at 03:38 PM.

  8. #6
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,496
    Thank Post
    123
    Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Oh right, sorry. That is for the compTIA A+

  9. Thanks to Sunnyknight from:

    kieransaul (25th October 2013)

  10. #7

    Bompalompalomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    426
    Thank Post
    239
    Thanked 145 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    I did City & Guilds Level 2 and 3 System Support (full time vocational course) straight after Year 11 for two years before getting my apprenticeship, with the help of my lecturer before I'd even finished the second year.

    I'm doing A+ for free now alongside my apprenticeship through my college. Good if you want to start off with the basics and get more into the practical and business side of things, but not something I think I'd heavily rely on again (even though I did) because I didn't have really any other choice or ideal career. If possible, you might want to just see if you can cram for A+ directly, but when I left school I couldn't afford anything for that and the experience over the two years was great for me.

  11. Thanks to Bompalompalomp from:

    kieransaul (25th October 2013)

  12. #8

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,301
    Thank Post
    1,673
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,469 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    457
    Welding...because...well why not?

  13. Thanks to nephilim from:

    kieransaul (25th October 2013)

  14. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    143
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    I did City & Guilds Level 2 and 3 System Support (full time vocational course) straight after Year 11 for two years before getting my apprenticeship, with the help of my lecturer before I'd even finished the second year.

    I'm doing A+ for free now alongside my apprenticeship through my college. Good if you want to start off with the basics and get more into the practical and business side of things, but not something I think I'd heavily rely on again (even though I did) because I didn't have really any other choice or ideal career. If possible, you might want to just see if you can cram for A+ directly, but when I left school I couldn't afford anything for that and the experience over the two years was great for me.
    Colchester institute do the City & Guilds Diploma Level 2, i will probably have to do this, after looking at my report (mainly E's if any one wants to know :P, IT is my best grade i'm working at a C, hopefully it goes up after my coursework gets marked.) Then i can progress into the Level 3 course.
    I have started looking into the compTIA A+, i would do if i had the money. Unfortunately i don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Welding...because...well why not?
    I would burn something down or kill someone with a tool like that.
    Last edited by kieransaul; 25th October 2013 at 08:18 PM.

  15. #10

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    12,301
    Thank Post
    1,673
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,469 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    457
    You'd be surprised...I did it, and the course has paid for itself in side money, because I can weld bits to off road cars (EG additional safety bars, fuel holders, sump plating etc), and get paid a fair amount an hour when its available. I charge friends £40 an hour (plus material cost), family get charged just the material cost, and unknowns/friends of friends etc get charged £75 an hour plus material costs.

    Works out well, no complaints, fully safety checked, and qualified in MIG, TIG, Arc and Oxy-Acetylene

  16. #11

    Bompalompalomp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    426
    Thank Post
    239
    Thanked 145 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by kieransaul View Post
    Colchester institute do the City & Guilds Diploma Level 2, i will probably have to do this, after looking at my report (mainly E's if any one wants to know :P, IT is my best grade i'm working at a C, hopefully it goes up after my coursework gets marked.) Then i can progress into the Level 3 course.
    I have started looking into the compTIA A+, i would do if i had the money. Unfortunately i don't.
    If money's a problem, which it definitely was for me two years ago when I had to choose a college course, then it's probably the most practical and useful one for you. Level 2's for basics, level 3's for planning and practical (though, I'll warn you a lot of people left my course because they found parts of it boring. Especially at the beginning of Level 3). One of my friends says he owes me his job because I shouted at him when he said he was going to leave the course halfway through and made him stay. I was in a tight spot when choosing college. I should've gone to a better high school with a sixth form, but that wasn't a possibility, and I should've looked into uni. Without chances and funding, this was probably the best choice for me. It might be for you too, but always look around.

  17. #12

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    143
    Thank Post
    37
    Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    If money's a problem, which it definitely was for me two years ago when I had to choose a college course, then it's probably the most practical and useful one for you. Level 2's for basics, level 3's for planning and practical (though, I'll warn you a lot of people left my course because they found parts of it boring. Especially at the beginning of Level 3). One of my friends says he owes me his job because I shouted at him when he said he was going to leave the course halfway through and made him stay. I was in a tight spot when choosing college. I should've gone to a better high school with a sixth form, but that wasn't a possibility, and I should've looked into uni. Without chances and funding, this was probably the best choice for me. It might be for you too, but always look around.
    To be honest, you are probably right. I think money will be a problem as being unable to get a job because i don't have the experience to get into a job. As you say i can't really move schools now. But my IT teacher as been really helpful during this process. Hopefully i will be able to do the course his did (link). He done BSc (Hons) in Computer solutions (Networking).



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for good online or self study MCSE course
    By ajbritton in forum Courses and Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23rd May 2006, 06:44 PM
  2. Recomended training courses?
    By tarquel in forum Budgets and Expenditure
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 31st March 2006, 01:36 PM
  3. got some places one task it course
    By russdev in forum General EduGeek News/Announcements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 24th March 2006, 10:19 AM
  4. Funding For Courses/Qualifications?
    By MuppetQueen in forum Courses and Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 23rd November 2005, 03:08 PM
  5. Interactive Whiteboard Courses
    By TossPot in forum Courses and Training
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28th July 2005, 10:38 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •