+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, College Courses. in General; So it's coming up to the time where i need to pick a college course and i thought you guys ...

Thank Post

Red face College Courses.

So it's coming up to the time where i need to pick a college course and i thought you guys might know of any good courses i could do.
    I plan on trying to go to Colchester Institute, and here is the course i wanted to do (link). I thought as you guys work in the industry, you would know if was a good course to start with as i'm about to leave school. (In May/June - My school finish early for some reason)

I know that i can start applying on the 1st of November.

Cheers,
    Kieran

Thank Post
    It might be worth seeing if you can do a CompTIA A+ between now and May/June

3. Thanks to hawc from:

kieransaul (25th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    It might be worth seeing if you can do a CompTIA A+ between now and May/June
    Thank you for the reply

If I did have the opportunity to do the course, would have to study the course at home or would I have to ask a local training provider for help?

Kieran

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kieransaul View Post
    So it's coming up to the time where i need to pick a college course and i thought you guys might know of any good courses i could do.
    I plan on trying to go to Colchester Institute, and here is the course i wanted to do (link). I thought as you guys work in the industry, you would know if was a good course to start with as i'm about to leave school. (In May/June - My school finish early for some reason)

I know that i can start applying on the 1st of November.

Cheers,
    Kieran
    16 hour as a day for 1 week and on the 2nd you could do your test.

This is with online training and resources.

Have a look around online if interested

6. Thanks to Sunnyknight from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    16 hour as a day for 1 week and on the 2nd you could do your test.

This is with online training and resources.

Have a look around online if interested
    Sorry for the slow response, i'm currently replying in media studies lesson :P

Is this for the College course or the CompTIA A+ course?

I would like to do a apprenticeship over a college course because i would get the real-life experience.

Kieran
    Last edited by kieransaul; 25th October 2013 at 03:38 PM.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Oh right, sorry. That is for the compTIA A+

9. Thanks to Sunnyknight from:

Thank Post
    I did City & Guilds Level 2 and 3 System Support (full time vocational course) straight after Year 11 for two years before getting my apprenticeship, with the help of my lecturer before I'd even finished the second year.

I'm doing A+ for free now alongside my apprenticeship through my college. Good if you want to start off with the basics and get more into the practical and business side of things, but not something I think I'd heavily rely on again (even though I did) because I didn't have really any other choice or ideal career. If possible, you might want to just see if you can cram for A+ directly, but when I left school I couldn't afford anything for that and the experience over the two years was great for me.

11. Thanks to Bompalompalomp from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,469 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Welding...because...well why not?

13. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    I did City & Guilds Level 2 and 3 System Support (full time vocational course) straight after Year 11 for two years before getting my apprenticeship, with the help of my lecturer before I'd even finished the second year.

I'm doing A+ for free now alongside my apprenticeship through my college. Good if you want to start off with the basics and get more into the practical and business side of things, but not something I think I'd heavily rely on again (even though I did) because I didn't have really any other choice or ideal career. If possible, you might want to just see if you can cram for A+ directly, but when I left school I couldn't afford anything for that and the experience over the two years was great for me.
    Colchester institute do the City & Guilds Diploma Level 2, i will probably have to do this, after looking at my report (mainly E's if any one wants to know :P, IT is my best grade i'm working at a C, hopefully it goes up after my coursework gets marked.) Then i can progress into the Level 3 course.
    I have started looking into the compTIA A+, i would do if i had the money. Unfortunately i don't.

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Welding...because...well why not?
    I would burn something down or kill someone with a tool like that.
    Last edited by kieransaul; 25th October 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,469 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You'd be surprised...I did it, and the course has paid for itself in side money, because I can weld bits to off road cars (EG additional safety bars, fuel holders, sump plating etc), and get paid a fair amount an hour when its available. I charge friends £40 an hour (plus material cost), family get charged just the material cost, and unknowns/friends of friends etc get charged £75 an hour plus material costs.

Works out well, no complaints, fully safety checked, and qualified in MIG, TIG, Arc and Oxy-Acetylene

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kieransaul View Post
    Colchester institute do the City & Guilds Diploma Level 2, i will probably have to do this, after looking at my report (mainly E's if any one wants to know :P, IT is my best grade i'm working at a C, hopefully it goes up after my coursework gets marked.) Then i can progress into the Level 3 course.
    I have started looking into the compTIA A+, i would do if i had the money. Unfortunately i don't.
    If money's a problem, which it definitely was for me two years ago when I had to choose a college course, then it's probably the most practical and useful one for you. Level 2's for basics, level 3's for planning and practical (though, I'll warn you a lot of people left my course because they found parts of it boring. Especially at the beginning of Level 3). One of my friends says he owes me his job because I shouted at him when he said he was going to leave the course halfway through and made him stay. I was in a tight spot when choosing college. I should've gone to a better high school with a sixth form, but that wasn't a possibility, and I should've looked into uni. Without chances and funding, this was probably the best choice for me. It might be for you too, but always look around.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bompalompalomp View Post
    If money's a problem, which it definitely was for me two years ago when I had to choose a college course, then it's probably the most practical and useful one for you. Level 2's for basics, level 3's for planning and practical (though, I'll warn you a lot of people left my course because they found parts of it boring. Especially at the beginning of Level 3). One of my friends says he owes me his job because I shouted at him when he said he was going to leave the course halfway through and made him stay. I was in a tight spot when choosing college. I should've gone to a better high school with a sixth form, but that wasn't a possibility, and I should've looked into uni. Without chances and funding, this was probably the best choice for me. It might be for you too, but always look around.
    To be honest, you are probably right. I think money will be a problem as being unable to get a job because i don't have the experience to get into a job. As you say i can't really move schools now. But my IT teacher as been really helpful during this process. Hopefully i will be able to do the course his did (link). He done BSc (Hons) in Computer solutions (Networking).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread