+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, RANT - Fed up with life here in the UK in General; RANT - I have just been watching Nick Clegg on Daybreak going on about the spiralling gas/electricity bills and how ...
    Thank Post

RANT - Fed up with life here in the UK

RANT - I have just been watching Nick Clegg on Daybreak going on about the spiralling gas/electricity bills and how the poorest in society will continue getting their 120'ish fuel allowance. That's great for them but how does it make those middle income families feel who get no benefits what so ever and yet have had to take the spiralling costs of pretty much everything on the chin and haven't had a pay rise for years!?!

Appart from the usual bills, you also need a small loan to have a family day out or to even go out for dinner or the cinema with the family.

It's been a long time since I have felt this poor!!!!

I really feel that I have now been let down by the government for the past 10 years and if I could, I'd be out of this god forsaken country tomorrow but guess what, because of the above I can't save enough money to make it happen!

2. 11 Thanks to bodminman:

ButterflyMoon (24th October 2013), cpjitservices (24th October 2013), CPLTD (24th October 2013), Garacesh (24th October 2013), LosOjos (24th October 2013), mthomas08 (24th October 2013), RabbieBurns (24th October 2013), Roberto (24th October 2013), speckytecky (26th October 2013), stevenlong1985 (25th October 2013), TronXP (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,094 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I feel for you but I wonder if it would actually be that much better anywhere else? I have friends in Portugal, Canada, Australia and other European countries who are all saying that life is getting very hard for them due to wage freezes and rising prices.
    The middle income families have always been the hardest hit - it is very unfair. I am of the opinion that few politicians actually understand what it is like down here at the sharp end.
    I know what you mean about feeling poor - I am very grateful that my children are adults now and I only have two more years of education costs to help with and then I am done.

4. 2 Thanks to witch:

bodminman (24th October 2013), speckytecky (26th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are very few places in the world which have weathered the global financial crisis. So, wherever you think of, they most likely will have had a reduction in income.

I've only been able to weather it personally as I've managed to move jobs a couple of times which has increased my salary. My spending ability is about the same now as it was 4 years ago. I'm getting by basically. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for those people who are just above the 'government help' level but below my income.

The middle classes have been squeezed, yes, but that's life isn't it? They also get some of the best growth during the good years...

6. Thanks to localzuk from:

bodminman (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    My disposable income has dropped significantly since 2009.

I could get a better paid job but that would then mean the little ones had to go into childcare for a few hours a day. So that would be the payrise chewed up by that and then I'd be worse off because the better paid jobs are in the city where I will have extra travel costs and parking.

Just have to sit it out me thinks!

8. Thanks to bodminman from:

tech_guy (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post

I'd be out of this god forsaken country tomorrow but guess what, because of the above I can't save enough money to make it happen!
    where is better?

Thank Post
    Syria?

11. Thanks to Griff from:

bodminman (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Totally agree Bodminman life is just so hard. I want to know what they aim to do for the single people who have to run a home. We all have a hard time but the gov want to make it look like you only get tax breaks etc if you'r married. What a load of sh1t we working people whether married or not should not have to struggle the way we are in this day and age. Seems to me there is something not right with this whole situation, makes you wonder why work at all? I do work because my ethics would not let me sit idle but it is damned hard wondering if I can heat the house or even as basic as buy decent food.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A recent report stated that the cost of living now outstrips the average income in the UK... so regardless of actually working the average man cannot afford to live.

I cannot understand how we have got this way, and more importantly what the future is going to hold...

14. 2 Thanks to GREED:

bodminman (24th October 2013), ButterflyMoon (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Unless the "common man" actually stops shrugging and saying "oh well, what can you do", nothing will change.
    This government (and others before them - not a political rant particularly) ride roughshod over people and those people (that would be us, guys) seem to just take it. Unfair things such as the bedroom tax, benefit cuts, fuel prices, privatisation, university fees, foreign aid etc etc etc etc
    And we do nothing

16. 5 Thanks to witch:

bodminman (24th October 2013), ButterflyMoon (24th October 2013), Garacesh (24th October 2013), speckytecky (26th October 2013), SteveT (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Unless the "common man" actually stops shrugging and saying "oh well, what can you do", nothing will change.
    This government (and others before them - not a political rant particularly) ride roughshod over people and those people (that would be us, guys) seem to just take it. Unfair things such as the bedroom tax, benefit cuts, fuel prices, privatisation, university fees, foreign aid etc etc etc etc
    And we do nothing
    but all political parties are the same they do what benefits them. Thety will promise you the world and deliver the faroe ilsands. Once they are elected they are all safe for years and will do what big business bribe/cajole them into.

so what can any individual do?

18. Thanks to sted from:

jamwatn (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    We're living in a time of dwindling resources, things will likely not improve.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    but all political parties are the same they do what benefits them. Thety will promise you the world and deliver the faroe ilsands. Once they are elected they are all safe for years and will do what big business bribe/cajole them into.

so what can any individual do?
    An individual can do nothing. That's my point. There are many examples of governments being made to back down over things because the people made it very clear that it was a step too far. But now people seem to think it isn't worth even trying.

Thank Post
    In all fairness even when people do protest and do things, it makes no difference. Iraq war was what 2 million people on the streets? Ignored... University fees, 100 of thousands protested? Ignored... Even the riots because of lthe killing of Mark Duggan? Ignored... Nothing has changed.

Most political parties have similar policies on a lot of things and when you live in a society where people expect the people at the top to all be lying all the time, it can hardly be right.

I vote out of principle, not because I believe in any of the political parties. I would prefer a proportional representation system as well, I don't care if Fred won with 30% of the votes, because to me that means 70% of people who bothered to vote didn't want Fred. Lets include the fact only 40% even voted, so infact the vast majority of normal people didn't want Fred but we get him....

I think we should have proper proportional representation, whereby if only 40% of the overall population vote, then only 40% of the seats in the houses of parliament are filled. That would make people actually work for the job because someone not voting would be be someone voting against you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I got fed up, and took the easy way out and just left. I was lucky enough to have a spare couple of grand put aside which i used to pay for a plane ticket and the first wee while until i found some work.

And to answer your question @witch, I personally am 100x better off. I cant speak for Europe or North America, but there are loads of jobs available here (4 notifications today alone for IT jobs in schools in a 20 mile radius, from low level to director). Salary is way higher here for similar roles, and granted cost of living is a lot higher too, but Im living a much more comfortable life here with the low(for here) salary Im on here compared to to the low salary I was on in the UK.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I got fed up, and took the easy way out and just left. I was lucky enough to have a spare couple of grand put aside which i used to pay for a plane ticket and the first wee while until i found some work.

And to answer your question @witch, I personally am 100x better off. I cant speak for Europe or North America, but there are loads of jobs available here (4 notifications today alone for IT jobs in schools in a 20 mile radius, from low level to director). Salary is way higher here for similar roles, and granted cost of living is a lot higher too, but Im living a much more comfortable life here with the low(for here) salary Im on here compared to to the low salary I was on in the UK.
    That's good to hear. As long as you don't get burned to death of course
    I don't want to know though - the thought of one of my children emigrating that far away gives me the complete and utter horrors

24. Thanks to witch from:

RabbieBurns (25th October 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast