+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
General Chat Thread, RANT - Fed up with life here in the UK in General; So why isn't there a mass exodus to these countries?...

Thank Post
    So why isn't there a mass exodus to these countries?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superatticman View Post
    I am sure there are loads of reasons; family ties, language, inertia...... the belief that things might get better here one day.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    The UN ranks all countries on a Human Development Index based on several different factors which all affect quality of life. According to them, we are 26th on that list. Spend 5 minutes researching social welfare in places like Sweden and Denmark and you'll see how awful ours is by comparison.

If we don't do something soon, we're going to end up like the USA.
    What, ranked, 3rd?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    I am sure there are loads of reasons; family ties, language, inertia...... the belief that things might get better here one day.....
    36% tax rate...

Personally I think the tradeoff is probably worth it but for many, low rates of income tax is seen as a "good thing".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    What, ranked, 3rd?
    Oh damn, I hadn't noticed that. Clearly the disparity between rich and poor in the US is much bigger than I thought.

For the record, I'd be happy to pay 36% tax if it meant I got access to the awesome social welfare system they have in Norway. If you watch that video I linked it says that, amongst other things, that the government there subsidises a two week holiday for all citizens. Can you imagine if anyone raised that in our parliament here? They'd never be taken seriously again!

And yeah the reason there isn't a mass exodus to these countries is for a lot of reasons. Government is rarely a deciding factor in choosing where to live, imo.

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superatticman View Post
    I'd base it more towards their figures for religion (from my OWN perspective).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by APMerry View Post
    It really isn't a minority and it is frustrating. Certainly in the area I live, I see these people with 3/4 kids living in a council house that would cost upwards of £300k and they're renting it for the price of a studio flat. The kids have a blackberry/iphone/expensive clothes and there's a massive 60inch flat screen in the living room with sky. Me and my Mrs cant even get a mortgage for anything with more than 1 bedroom, the thought of having a house and family seems completely unachievable. I don't know anyone my age with a house that hasn't had help from their parents, something that I'm not going to get.

I can only see it getting worse and more people ending up living off benefits and living above their means.
    I feel very fortunate. I have a mother (single parent) who's an accountant. I was always brought up with "careful spending" and second/third hand things, living in a council house, and I never felt hard done by. On the contrary - I had some of my most enjoyable times going to the local tip/junk electronics store/car boot and coming back with things that others had got shot of, that I could then dismantle/fix/tinker with.

Now, she's bought that house. She's also left it in trust to my kids (2 so far). I grew up not spending, hell I'm still so tight I squeak when I walk. I have always lived on "if you don't have it in the bank, and it's not essential, you don't need it/spend it". I've only ever used my current account, currently sat at the 4.5k mark. Must do something about it..more to the ISA.

Missus is from a family of 6, also grew up with minimal money, hand me down everything, beans on toast meals etc.

I got the missus into saving - organised her first bank account (never had one before), ran her through the costs of things, got her round to my way of thinking. Then we moved out and started renting..that got more expensive, but we still saved as much as we could. Then we saw a house @ 115k, and the temptation to buy was high..mentioned it to my mother, who I still let manage my finances apart from the current acc.

"Go for it". I said don't be silly, I can't afford a mortgage..

"Ah. Yes. Right. Here's a statement of your finances, your ISAs, building societies, shares, fallback car fund. Here are the docs. You can afford it, I think you should go for it. "

We were able to put down a 35k deposit on the house, without breaking a sweat on the remaining savings. I now have 71k left to pay. We still scrimp and save, we stretch our money - end of life foods like pasta in bulk, animal feed in bulk from farms (SO cheap, I can recommend it.), ebay clothes /toys for the kids and us, cheapest prices I can find for anything. Missus is self employed ATM (approx 19k/year), but has just had 2 job offers in addition to that, one for 3 days a week, one for full week at 25-30k. I'm part time on 11.5k/year.

Kids are on part time nursery places to save costs, along with my part time meaning I take them in the PM. Time you can't get back, that no financial recompense can replace. I opted for the reduced hours and pay.

My place is an ex-council concrete wimpy, on a council estate. Most of the houses seem to be privately owned now. There are some families that are a PITA, and some kids who quite frankly should be shot - I had words with one who was hassling and abusing my elderly neighbour - he told me to fsck off. I told him to stop being a gobby sh1te and go do his homework. He said he'd "do my car", I said I'd laminate him to the road, and give him a count of 10 to start running. Also asked his name, which he gave me..then said I could also cheerfully report him to his school..as I used to go there and almost certainly knew his teachers.

You know, he's not been seen up our street since. He was apparently well known for hassling the older residents.

As I say, I feel amazingly lucky to be where I am now. My brother lives in Devon, huge house, Merc SLK, expensive tastes..in mums words "I close my eyes when doing his accounts, don't go there. ". I worry about him, but he's not stupid..

Then we look at the mother-in-law. Lovely person, yes. Signed off long term sick, missus who is also signed off medically. They are each others carers. Full motability for both, new car every 3 years, council 3 bed on the social tariff for everything, big TV, buys things like they're going out of fashion until she gets bored of them etc. She's as capable as me..no reason she couldn't have done at least a desk job. Doesn't save or plan, forever whinging about money.

She's offered to "help" me fill in a DLA claim so I can "get a motability car" - I've declined, and it's a mystery to her why. I'm disabled, but I'm not about to lie to exaggerate it.

Now Jems brothers/sister have grown up, they've all got jobs (at long last), but they're constantly amazed at her savings.."you've got loads of money, can I borrow a tenner?"..it's like educating pork sometimes. At least 1 has got it right - just heard he's working and saving like mad for a deposit. Fair play to the lad. Always thought he'd do OK. He always said "I'm able, so I'll do anything. Anything is better than sitting around like this."

We need more of that. He worked in a pound shop at first, then did callcentre work..not glamorous, not good hour wise..now he's just landed a job as a data analyst for something..far better pay.

8. Thanks to Sirbendy from:

Netman (25th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    There are very few places in the world which have weathered the global financial crisis. So, wherever you think of, they most likely will have had a reduction in income.
    Houses of parliament? MP's were asking for a 10% pay rise recently.........

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sdrawkcab View Post
    Oh damn, I hadn't noticed that. Clearly the disparity between rich and poor in the US is much bigger than I thought.

For the record, I'd be happy to pay 36% tax if it meant I got access to the awesome social welfare system they have in Norway. If you watch that video I linked it says that, amongst other things, that the government there subsidises a two week holiday for all citizens. Can you imagine if anyone raised that in our parliament here? They'd never be taken seriously again!

And yeah the reason there isn't a mass exodus to these countries is for a lot of reasons. Government is rarely a deciding factor in choosing where to live, imo.
    That's because in Britain, you still have the ability to make change from within.

However, I agree with the sentiments on here that we almost had it too good from the mid 90s to the mid 2000s. John Prescott's utter stupidity in announcing that 'we're all middle class now' was typical of that regime. What he and a fair proportion of the electorate failed to realise was that all they'd actually done was borrow lots of money of which gave themselves a false sense of financial well being. Even better was to follow with the arrival of cheap labour from Eastern Europe. This was a massive positive for the middle class and above because it meant they could pay less for services such as building, driving and other manual trades as well as unskilled labour. However, what they failed to realise was that this very much opened the flood gates for the ruthless financially oriented employment market. This has also filtered across to Education where Universities are now taking in the more affluent from other countries rather than British youngsters. Why shouldn't they? The precedent has been set so why should there be any discrimination against foreign students willing to pay for their education?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Personally I think the tradeoff is probably worth it but for many, low rates of income tax is seen as a "good thing".
    Checks and balances. Low rate of income tax is seen as a good thing because we are constantly being screwed over in other ways. 20% VAT? Fuel Tax? and probably 100 other levies hidden away. Don't we have something like the most complex tax system in the world? I'm sure I read somewhere, if you added up all the hidden taxes the average person pays the equivalant of a 40% income tax rate anyway. Besides, what is the percentage if you just add N.I. contributions to the basic rate of income tax? N.I. as long since been another wording for Income Tax anyway.

I'd be happy to pay 40%, maybe even a little more, if the entire tax system was overhauled and simplified, and we were seen to be getting our moneys worth out of key public services.

Thank Post
    I’d say our tax system over here is complex and full of loop holes. I too fall in the make too much for full benefits, but not enough to make it on one income.
    We are $17 trillion in debt and I get back more money on tax returns then I pay in.
    If I’m not mistaken your VAT is similar to our sales tax. In place of a very complex tax code I’d like to see a tax code fit on one page.
    A flat XX% sales tax. No income tax, no property tax etc. I think this is the fairest tax for all. If the rich want to spend $$ on shiny things they pay flat %. If I want to save my money I don’t pay.
    Someone who works for cash to avoid income tax will now pay based on what they spend.
    All the drug dealers who spend their ill-gotten gains on the latest things will now pay tax just like everyone else.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ADMaster View Post
    A flat XX% sales tax. No income tax, no property tax etc. I think this is the fairest tax for all. If the rich want to spend $$ on shiny things they pay flat %. If I want to save my money I donít pay.
    The problem with this is it leaves the government having to deal with large fluctuations in taxable income. It also has the effect of decreasing tax in proportion to income, because other than the odd Lamborgini, peoples basic needs are much the same.

Thank Post
    surely thats where a flat tax comes in. earn so much before youre taxed (with additions for kids up to say 3) then everything after that is taxed at x% same for everyone the more you earn the more you pay and much simpler

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    surely thats where a flat tax comes in. earn so much before youre taxed (with additions for kids up to say 3) then everything after that is taxed at x% same for everyone the more you earn the more you pay and much simpler
    Not sure I follow. The suggestion by @ADMaster was for a flat sales tax and eliminate income tax. Sales tax by it's nature varies with the amount of things being sold. IMO your suggestion - a progressive income tax is the only fair way. We just need to eliminate loopholes that allow people to avoid paying their fair share. That seems to involve (at least) two things, first ensuring that when people divert income into their company, live off expenses that they can't then avoid capital gains when they sell shares and take dividends and second ensuring companies are taxed fairly in the countries where they are generating income (so Amazon can't claim that their costs and profits continently occur in a low tax regime when they are creaming billions from customers in the UK).

Thank Post
    Yes there may be fluctuation in tax revenue to begin with, but I think it would stabilize. Similar to how folks on all the benefits don’t have much incentive to work because they can make more money than someone with a low paying job. What is the incentive for someone to be a successful entrepreneur? That person progressively pays a higher tax rate based on how much profit they make. A low paid worker may pay 15% and a very high paid owner may pay 30%. In my opinion this is unfair.
    Let’s say the low paid worker makes $10,000 @ 15% tax is $1,500
    And the high paid owner makes $100,000 @ 30% tax is $30,000
    If the owner paid just 15% too that would be $15,000
    Still ten times more than the low paid worker, but the same rate. That is the nature of percentages.
    Now the owner has an extra $15,000 he could hire a new worker, give the current workers a raise, reinvest in his shop etc.
    A progressive income tax only punishes success.
    The flat sales tax is aimed at individuals, I’m not sure how you would tax a business with this model, but I’m sure there is something out there better than all the loop holes we have now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast