+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, RANT - Fed up with life here in the UK in General; As Witch said, the common man needs to do something - like the whole country going on strike and saying ...
    Thank Post
    As Witch said, the common man needs to do something - like the whole country going on strike and saying we've had enough. Fuel prices are a joke. How much of that is tax .. 85% ?? We should all walk to work.

Thank Post
    Hi

I can only second Rabbie. As an ex Pat in Europe (almost) I can safely say that life is better out of the UK. I am on a low wage out here, but I have wonderful views, excellent amenities, clean streets, and a government that actually has to listen to the populous and act if that population speak. I have saved money, and had such a great social life without the fear of another governmental screwup, or oppressive regime of inspection, health and safety, etc.

I really cannot recommend staying in the uk, at least for another 10 years.

3. Thanks to jallsop from:

RabbieBurns (25th October 2013)

Thank Post
    That's it .. we're all of then. C'mon everybody, run along now!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jallsop View Post
    Hi

I can only second Rabbie. As an ex Pat in Europe (almost) I can safely say that life is better out of the UK. I am on a low wage out here, but I have wonderful views, excellent amenities, clean streets, and a government that actually has to listen to the populous and act if that population speak. I have saved money, and had such a great social life without the fear of another governmental screwup, or oppressive regime of inspection, health and safety, etc.

I really cannot recommend staying in the uk, at least for another 10 years.
    Switzerland is really expensive though- isn't it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Switzerland is really expensive though- isn't it?
    It can be, but the wages do generally match it. The whole principle is that only one family adult has to work, so wages are higher to reflect that. Average Swiss wage is around 6000-7000 CHF per month, with many on a lot more (approx 4000 to 4500 GBP) before tax. Its not uncommon to have an annual salary in excess of 150,000 CHF. Tax varies by canton (County) but is often less than 20% overall. and you need to pay for healthcare, but inflation is almost 1% max, and has been for years. I live in an expensive area (Ski resort) but you can rent a 3 or 4 bed apartment for not much more than 1000 CHF per month which is around 700 GBP. Food costs more, but fuel is cheaper.

The lifestyle more than makes up for it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Damn. So the grass is greener.

Thank Post
    Politicians of all persuasions seem to forget that most ordinary people aren't interested in politics. They are so involved in their own little world in Parliament they forget about the rest of us. (A bit like teachers in a school sometimes).

I think the majority of the general public care more about day-to-day things like their family health, whether they are fed, warm & adequately clothed. It's only when the media whip up a 'storm' about benefit scroungers, immigration, the EU, Plebgate, MP expenses, fat-cat bankers, etc that ordinary people take notice but their attention soon fades as they focus on the pressures in their daily lives.

It seems to me we live in a country where at one end of the spectrum we have people who are greedy & selfish & don't care about anyone but themselves & at the other end there are people who think the rest of society owes them a living while they just sit around doing nothing.

However, we don't live in fear of being locked up or tortured for disagreeing with the government of the day, or where pregnant women can be locked up if they suffer a misscarriage, or where women can be stoned to death for infidelity, or where children are used as forced labour, or where schools have to employ armed guards.... & no-one is forced to drink dirty water tainted by raw sewage because that's their only supply.....

There may be better places to live, but there are many,many worse places to be.

9. 2 Thanks to broc:

bodminman (24th October 2013), bossman (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    The three of us went swimming last Sunday, nearly £15 including a locker!

So I whip out the trusty "passport to leisure" card (half price B'ham council) only to be told its just a loyalty scheme now, where I can collect points.
    However, if I was on benefits I could get a new card and 2 of us would be in for half price and the little one free.

Once again the system rewards those who cant/wont pay for it, giving them even less incentive to actually earn a living.

Its not a rant at EVERYONE on benefits, but its becoming a pee take when everything seems to be a reward... here have a free boiler or some free insulation...

Ahh Mr Chr1s you need a new boiler, you work? Sucker.... That will be £3000 please...

11. 3 Thanks to CHR1S:

bodminman (24th October 2013), bossman (24th October 2013), ButterflyMoon (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    An individual can do nothing. That's my point. There are many examples of governments being made to back down over things because the people made it very clear that it was a step too far. But now people seem to think it isn't worth even trying.
    I would like to raise a point here. The government, quite simply, don't care. Go ahead. Search their pockets. Empty their bags. Raid their houses. You will find a grand total of zero to give.

They know we can't afford to strike/walk out/change drastically en masse.

Dislike the absurd petrol taxation? How many of you drive to work? Can you afford to walk it? No. Why? Because 'afford' isn't just fiscally. Work is too far away, that's why you drive. Get the bus then? No. There aren't enough buses for everybody to do that. (Remember, we're talking drastic change en-masse here)
    University fees are too high? You can't afford to pay off that student loan? Don't go to uni then. You can't 'afford' that either. You need that medical/law/archeology degree to get into the line of work you've been chasing for ten years.
    You don't like Mr. Gove's changes to education? Suck it. Oh, you're going on strike? Good luck doing that for a prolonged period of time. Each day you strike is a days wage lost. Sure, you do it for a day and disrupt thousands of parents lives. Guess what? They get annoyed at you now, not us. Suckers.
    Last edited by Garacesh; 24th October 2013 at 01:24 PM.

13. 2 Thanks to Garacesh:

CHR1S (24th October 2013), Netman (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Someone asked about a middle income family just above the benefit threshold. I'm right here. We are above the threshold for council tax benefit, housing benefit, working tax credits, income support, and food bank help. We get child benefit and child tax credits, both amount to the tune of £33 combined per week.

We are now choosing between heating our house for more than an hour a day, or eating more than once a day (our daughter has 3 square meals).

We have cut corners everywhere possible, we make our own bread (cost of making our own including the ingredients and electric for the oven is 60p, whereas the cheapest loaf in the supermarket is 80p), we make our own yoghurt, we grow our own vegetables in our garden (granted not much but better than nothing and can always guarantee freshness). I've even taken to using squirrel traps (with local council authority) to catch and kill squirrels for additional meat in our diet.

I am the epitome of thrift, if there is a way to save money, I am probably doing it, but we struggle badly, to the point where we are looking at moving in with the in laws simply so we dont have to shell out as much!

15. 2 Thanks to nephilim:

bodminman (24th October 2013), cpjitservices (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Someone asked about a middle income family just above the benefit threshold. I'm right here. We are above the threshold for council tax benefit, housing benefit, working tax credits, income support, and food bank help. We get child benefit and child tax credits, both amount to the tune of £33 combined per week.

We are now choosing between heating our house for more than an hour a day, or eating more than once a day (our daughter has 3 square meals).

We have cut corners everywhere possible, we make our own bread (cost of making our own including the ingredients and electric for the oven is 60p, whereas the cheapest loaf in the supermarket is 80p), we make our own yoghurt, we grow our own vegetables in our garden (granted not much but better than nothing and can always guarantee freshness). I've even taken to using squirrel traps (with local council authority) to catch and kill squirrels for additional meat in our diet.

I am the epitome of thrift, if there is a way to save money, I am probably doing it, but we struggle badly, to the point where we are looking at moving in with the in laws simply so we dont have to shell out as much!
    Crikey that sounds tough bud!

The thing is hard working families shouldn't be in this state.

17. Thanks to bodminman from:

ButterflyMoon (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In full time work, it isn't a problem, hell earning anything over £700 a month for me, means we can live without worry, and pay all bills. We can't afford a new/2nd hand car, so we are making do with the mrs car. She works from home now so thats a bonus, our internet is paid for by her company, and we're not shelling out in fuel anywhere near as much. I have a disabled bus pass which is a godsend as if we need to go to tesco/asda/morrisons for milk or washing powder, its more economical for me to go 45 mins on the bus than the mrs 15 mins in the car.

With the £700 I want to earn a month, this would pay for heating so we have it on more than an hour a day, stock up our fridge and pantry so that we have both fresh and long life food readily available and that the mrs and I can afford to eat more than once a day. We'd pay back people that have loaned us money. And we save enough to buy a decent car which has better fuel economy and lower tax bracket than our current one.

Thank Post
    I think society itself made a rod for it's own back. Even in the good times families were paying say £100+ days for entering into a theme park without actually questioning the real value of £100 pounds. The only way to live at the end of the day is to find ways to break yourself free from the shackles of the system.

For instance actively monitor where your money goes - 9 times out of 10 granted that most of your money will eventually end up either in a tax haven or a rich shareholder who will hoard the cash and it will never be redistributed back into society, so look to spend what ever you have after tax deductions as local as you can.

Energy bills? If we all nationally performed our own 3 day week with rolling lights out - the shareholders would be hit and I bet if we weren't spending with them, then prices would fall.

Why do we also complain about low pay, when on the other hand the masses are quite happy to support tax avoiding, zero hour contract employing on line sellers just to save a few quid which then the bigger picture tells us that that process destroys societies' opportunities, the economy and leaves High Streets like ghettos.

Thank Post
    @nephilim please take this as a compliment on your hard work and not another way.

You are the sort of family that deserves help, hard working, self sufficient and not expecting to be given anything.
    I could not imagine myself in your position!
    You see state reared families who can afford drink/drug and crap habits and STILL seem to feed their kids rubbish, but you cant make ends meet.

Wouldn't you be better off resigning, and claiming? Nice big house paid for, heating allowance, more child benefits, hell you could even have time to start a habit of some kind!

21. 2 Thanks to CHR1S:

andyturpie (24th October 2013), nephilim (24th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @CHR1S the lady in the job centre said the same thing, if the mrs packed in her job, we could get a council house, with council tax and rent paid for, and god knows how many benefits and make more than what we get now. Thing is, we would rather work than live like that. I couldn't even begin to fathom how or why people live like that. I'm applying for 20-30 jobs a day, for jobs I know I can do with ease with my disability. Just annoys me to high heaven.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast