View Poll Results: Who is responsible and what action should be taken?

Voters
17. This poll is closed
  • Government

2 11.76%
  • ISP

0 0%
  • Facebook

5 29.41%
  • Parents

11 64.71%
  • Children

3 17.65%
  • Facebook permanently blocked

1 5.88%
  • Facebook block violent videos

8 47.06%
  • Facebook issue 5 second warnings before watching the video

4 23.53%
  • No action should be taken

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Facebook - Where do you stand? in General; Thought i'd bring up the topic about the PM and Facebook. I'll keep it brief. I'm with the PM on ...
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post

Question Facebook - Where do you stand?

Thought i'd bring up the topic about the PM and Facebook. I'll keep it brief.

I'm with the PM on this, in that Facebook should take full responsibility for the violent videos and images that are being posted on there. An example, someone had committed a crime in Mexico. As a punishment, the men were bound, and put against a wall where they said something or another. Next second, a guy with a chainsaw takes off one of their heads. After that, the one alive looks at the body, probably shizzling himself, and someone with a knife took of his head, slowly.

Last night i got talking with @TBlax, and we discussed how it's totally inappropriate for Facebook to allow such videos on the net. He however argued that if there is a 5 second WARNING message, it should be allowed.

I TOTALLY disagree. Children, around the ages of 8 or younger have facebook. If they have an account, they can view those videos. Think of an 8 year old watching people slowly beheaded, having their head shot off, or their fingers chopped off. What impact do you think it'd have on their lives?

Personally, i could watch almost anything (bar anything to do with spiders), but the fact it was ONLINE and there for ANYONE to watch.... shocked me. If i was the PM, i'd block FB from the UK permanently or put in strong so-called sanctions on the site. That's me, but it's the direction i hope the PM would be going. Facebook is getting worse and worse, and they're allowing such things to be posted on their site, just to attract more people and encourage them to sign up. What Mark Twatberg doesn't understand is, it's his face that is being ruined by allowing such things.

I'm wondering where you all stand with it? Would you allow them to carry on posting such things, allowing kids to view it? Is it a parenting fault? Is it FB fault totally? Should there be keywords that auto search videos and blocks them? What actions should be taken?

All in all, FB is something i will NOT be associating myself with if this continues.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,777 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    FB is effed up. I left a long time ago.
    There's no way these kinds of videos should be available and it just shows the kind of people running FB that they defend this stuff.

Thank Post
    im going to be removing all the groups i liked so that i dont get this along with any body who post it
    i would delete fb but that would mean i would stop being in contact with mates

Thank Post
    Facebooks minimum required age is 13 I believe, anyone under 8 should not have an account.

I don't agree with this one bit, personally I think its very questionable behaviour from the company to allow the publishing of this material, I think its the same for Youtube, what have you got to gain from seeing these horrific acts ? all it generates is fear in people.

I am not on Facebook since June this year, I left when they changed their T+Cs again to ride roughshod over a persons rights to their own photographs/videos on there, I spent a three hour session deleting all my data possible from there before hitting the delete me button.

Personally I think its the best thing that I ever did, turn my back on social media, I came off Facebook, Twitter and Google+ that week and haven't looked back since, I keep in touch with my friends directly now, which is great, theres a more private non-intrusive version of social networking, that I call phone, text or email
    Last edited by rich_tech; 23rd October 2013 at 09:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem with a case like this is that there are a number of issues wrapped around one another that it's seems tought to pick apart, to me.

Let's start with Internet and censorship. Should the Internet be censored? If so who by? Should Facebook have the power of censorship? What about freedom of speech? How do you stop Facebook going the other way of over using censorship rather than under using it?

I actually take the stance that Facebook own the servers in question there for it is up to them to set the rules and police them, or not, as they choose. If you don't like the rules they set down or their level of policing the rules then don't use their servers.

As for 8 year olds with Facebook accounts. Facebook's policy is 13 and older. So the question here, isn't the content shouldn't be here because an 8-year old may see it, rather the question is how can Facebook better police their own policies to ensure under 13's are not seeing unsuitable material?

Then there is the material itself. It should be considered seperate from Facebook. As discribed I'm surprised the relavent legal authorities haven't got the powers to issue a take down notice. But then goes back to censorship, however graphic should we be protected from knowing such horrendous things actually do happen in this world?

From Facebooks PoV I think they are right with a 5sec Warning, but the do need to better police their own membership rules.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is bad and everything... but I'm still annoyed that violent murder is OK but a bit of T&A will get you banned.

And it's not Facebook's job to protect your children. They allow these videos, so it's up to parents as to whether they want to risk their children seeing it.
    Last edited by X-13; 23rd October 2013 at 10:04 AM.

7. Thanks to X-13 from:

ButterflyMoon (23rd October 2013)

Thank Post
    If you were going to watch a movie with said chainsaw scene above, it would be rated 18 - yet Facebook allow this to 13 year olds? Then probably younger, as they do not police the site as much as they should.

I don't want to see this stuff, I should be able to opt-out someway! A friend commented on said video saying "wtf" then last night it was wacked into my live feed! Didn't watch it as it would probably disturb me

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post

And it's not Facebook's job to protect your children.
    They have a responsibility to protect them! You can't have say 50 million 13-17 year olds and say it's not their job!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    If you were going to watch a movie with said chainsaw scene above, it would be rated 18 - yet Facebook allow this to 13 year olds?
    Actually, this is an important point. Whose job is it to give the film with said scene an 18 rating? The state, the film maker, the distributor, or the parents? In this country, the law as it stands, says it's the states job. I don't necerssarrily agree with that, in fact a lot parents appear not to considering the number who'd let a 13 year old watch Saw or an 11 year old play GTA:V.

I tend to the view that it's the parents job to decide the appropriate level of censorship for thier child, after all they are the ones who should now them best. After a certain age, (is 18 too old or too young?), I believe we should have the freedom of self determination in such matters.

The question then becomes, how many parents really understand/know what content there is in games like GTA:V, films like SAW, on YouTube or Facebook? How many actively screen content before allowing their child to be exposed to it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    They have a responsibility to protect them! You can't have say 50 million 13-17 year olds and say it's not their job!
    Really? It's Facebook's job to supervise your kids on the internet?

They're just a social media platform. They provide a service and it isn't childcare. Nor is it content filtering.

I'm sure there's a lot of adult sites with as many under age users. That doesn't mean they have to remove content because a child may or may not see it.

Social media is [almost] entirely user generated. There's ALWAYS a chance you're going to see something like this and if, as a parent, you don't want your kids seeing it. That's YOUR problem.

~Disclaimer: None of this is a personal attack. I'm using "you" to refer to parents in general.~

Thank Post
    I forgot to add, that was one of the massive issues I took with facebook, the fact that photos appear in your timeline without you having prior warning, a couple of friends got a while back had some grim stuff put on them to do with tropical diseases, which I was forced to view on my feed without warning, after removing the friends it did make me question all of this stuff.

I rationalised that I got on fine within my life without facebook before going on there and have since happily proved again that I cannot be on there.

Trouble with certifying films, thats only done through people with the intention of marketing or selling it I believe, home made videos like these nasties are never going to be put before a censor board.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,777 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Really? It's Facebook's job to supervise your kids on the internet?

They're just a social media platform. They provide a service and it isn't childcare. Nor is it content filtering.

I'm sure there's a lot of adult sites with as many under age users. That doesn't mean they have to remove content because a child may or may not see it.

Social media is [almost] entirely user generated. There's ALWAYS a chance you're going to see something like this and if, as a parent, you don't want your kids seeing it. That's YOUR problem.

~Disclaimer: None of this is a personal attack. I'm using "you" to refer to parents in general.~
    So social/moral conscience has no place here?
    Depends on the kind of society we want to build really, I would hope we lived in a world where FB might think that hosting videos of executions wasn't a good thing to do, rather than just a free for all and push the blame onto the parents. Its not just kids though is it, this kind of stuff I horrible for anyone to watch.

There is a difference between censorship and common decency.

14. Thanks to sparkeh from:

JoeBloggs (23rd October 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    There is a difference between censorship and common decency.
    Or over censorship in the name of common decency?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Why do these clips on facebook not fall foul of uk law? is it because they're not hosted in the uk? I doubt it.

Criminal Justice and Immigration Act 2008

Obscene publications: Legal Guidance: The Crown Prosecution Service

Ben

Thank Post
    Take responsibility for your own children instead of expecting corporations to do it for you. People are too quick to point the finger at others rather than thinking about their own responsibilities. If you don't want your children seeing this stuff on facebook, don't let them have a facebook.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast