+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, IT Technician in General; Hi everyone, I'm a new user, just wanted some advice from some of the technicians on here. I'll explain my ...

Thank Post

IT Technician

Hi everyone,

I'm a new user, just wanted some advice from some of the technicians on here.

I'll explain my situation. Currently I'm working in a warehouse, but ever since leaving college with DMM in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT (software Development) i've been finding it hard to get an interview for any IT job. Always had a strong passion towards IT, and know the basics of Hardware, Software and small amount of networking. Anyway, just wanted some advice from technicians on what the best way would be to get a job as an IT Technician in education as I quite enjoy education.

Matt

Thank Post
    If I were you I would try to get some experience in a secondary school. Try to get in contact with IT departments in schools, ask around.

Do you not want to do an apprentiship?

You only have to get your foot in the door at a school.

Thank Post
    DMM in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT
    , why not do further education while you are working now (do not quit your job though)? Most employers are looking for at least HND, Foundation Degree qualification or Microsoft/Cisco certification now a day (if you do not have any IT experiences).

I do not think to have only strong passion in IT would get you a job. I would recommend, just go a bit further with your study. This will demonstrate your personal development to your prospective employer.

When you are applying for a job. You should study each Person Specification carefully and try to tailor your personal statement to each Person Specification requirement.

Do not give up and just keep improving yourself .

Thank Post
    Ask the warehouse company who looks after their I.T. and try to work your way into that to get experience.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Ask the warehouse company who looks after their I.T. and try to work your way into that to get experience.

Rob
    I think they have an external company to look after their I.T, but I'll ask anyway to see if I could help them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixon77 View Post
    If I were you I would try to get some experience in a secondary school. Try to get in contact with IT departments in schools, ask around.

Do you not want to do an apprentiship?

You only have to get your foot in the door at a school.
    that
    Yeah, I'll try and get in contact with the IT departments in schools. I would like to do an apprenticeship. However, where I live, they don't offer that many technician role.

Thank Post
    Where are you located?

Thank Post
    I'm located in the West Midlands

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by supawat1 View Post
    , why not do further education while you are working now (do not quit your job though)? Most employers are looking for at least HND, Foundation Degree qualification or Microsoft/Cisco certification now a day (if you do not have any IT experiences).

I do not think to have only strong passion in IT would get you a job. I would recommend, just go a bit further with your study. This will demonstrate your personal development to your prospective employer.

When you are applying for a job. You should study each Person Specification carefully and try to tailor your personal statement to each Person Specification requirement.

Do not give up and just keep improving yourself .
    I was going to do the HND course. However, the teacher left, so the college decided not to do the course any more. There was another college doing it, but it was double the cost of the course in my college.

Thanks. How long would you say should I do work experience for at a workplace/school?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread