+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Staff Laptop Use - 'Elf and Safety in General; Originally Posted by plexer Erm well yes there is actually that would be Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Erm well yes there is actually that would be Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg36.pdf

Ben
    Thanks, but even this seems to advise rather than insist.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    I have yet to come across a teacher who meets the criteria of a DSE user as most lessons are an hour long and the teachers aren't using the screen continuously without breaks. My exception to that is SLT who do not have a full timetable and have offices where they could (potentially) meet the DSE user criteria. Even then it is an issue for the health and safety officer not ICT Support. Your involvement should be to help provide solutions once the issues have been identified.
    Our teachers have a morning or afternoon doing planning a week. They only have laptops to work on, and no designated area to work in. This means they are normally in the staff room hunched over laptops for about 3 hours.

I also only have a laptop to work on, though I do have a proper desk and adjustable chair. My longest day at work is 8.30am to 4pm with a half hour break.

Pupils are not employees, so, as someone rightly said earlier, I was wrong to include them from a legal point of view.

Yes, we will probably challenge this. Yes, it isn't my job to enforce this, just orgainise buying what is needed. But I will certainly be looking at making some changes to my workstation to avoid damage to myself.

It's just annoying when officials come in and say things like this without leaving us with the relevant documentation as proof of a legal requirement.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    It's just annoying when officials come in and say things like this without leaving us with the relevant documentation as proof of a legal requirement.
    Probably worth me saying that this was exactly what got my goat too. It's certainly not a bad idea to have docking stations to alleviate uncomfortable/potentially unhealthy posture. But I can't stand someone lying about a legal requirement for something instead of making their case for it properly, especially when it's to do with H&S - an area that has a poor enough reputation for bureaucratic nonsense without adding fictional rules to the problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 1,415 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    Thanks, but even this seems to advise rather than insist.
    There is legislation that has to be complied to and that gives you suggested ways of dealing with this requirement so I don't see the problem?

Ben

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Even if it isn't a legal requirement, I can tell you from experience that laptops are terrible for an entire day's office work. I used to have a laptop to stay mobile round a school, but was still on it when I moved to a more immobile admin position. This wasn't so bad when it was a desktop replacement laptop, but that broke and I ended up working a few years on a small and cramped 1024x768 laptop. It was awful as it lacked screen space to adequately work in T6 and Excel, the keys were small and the touchpad far from adequate. It was also easy to steal but full of confidential information, something I am thankful never happened.

After moving to a position with a proper desktop, a large screen and full sized keyboard it was so much more comfortable easier to work on!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12