View Poll Results: Do your teachers have a laptop each?

Voters
91. This poll is closed
  • Yes

52 57.14%
  • No

39 42.86%
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Teachers laptops in General; Originally Posted by FragglePete I just had to clarify this with our BM recently, we only supply laptops to staff ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    I just had to clarify this with our BM recently, we only supply laptops to staff that do regular off-site meetings. All classrooms have desktop PCs in place but faculty's can purchase for their departments if they wish but its not supplied from my budget (just as well really). A number of teachers have aging laptops from the days before we had network ports in every room and then desktops on their desks but we will not be replacing these.
    That sounds like a sensible approach - those who need, get and others can possibly negotiate for one if they can argue it with the department budget holder.

2. Thanks to witch from:

FragglePete (22nd October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    That sounds like a sensible approach - those who need, get and others can possibly negotiate for one if they can argue it with the department budget holder.
    We found that there can be a lot of problems when hardware purchases are delegated to departmental budget holders. They tend not to plan in advance too well, and don't work out TCO's. It makes future upgrades a nightmare when MS or Capita demand you upgrade. IMO it is better to have a criteria for staff who would be eligible for laptops from a central pool.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    We found that there can be a lot of problems when hardware purchases are delegated to departmental budget holders. They tend not to plan in advance too well, and don't work out TCO's. It makes future upgrades a nightmare when MS or Capita demand you upgrade. IMO it is better to have a criteria for staff who would be eligible for laptops from a central pool.
    I was presuming that all tech purchases would still have to go through, and be approved by, the IT dept - the budget holder wouldn't be allowed to buy laptops othewise

Thank Post
    Teachers here all have laptops, along with TA's and Cover Supervisors. No wi-fi, but ethernet in every room. The teachers connect their laptops to Smartboards and projectors. We have a three/four year rolling replacement plan and most of the laptops are well used but well looked after, apart from one instance three years ago.

Having just spent a shedload of money virtualising the back-end, I'm not sure when the remainder of the original five year old Toshiba A200's will be replaced. Current models are Dell E6520 and E6530's.

Problems arise when we have supply teachers (and we have a lot of supply teachers) who are only here for a day or two or a week or two.

We don't have any 'teacher' pc's in the classrooms, they weren't being 'looked after', to coin a phrase.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I was presuming that all tech purchases would still have to go through, and be approved by, the IT dept - the budget holder wouldn't be allowed to buy laptops othewise
    Absolutely - anything hardware or software has to be agreed with us in advance. Hardware we will usually do for them as I have a wealth of account managers to choose from. No exceptions.

Pete

Thank Post
    Current job only a few staff - mainly PE and every classroom here has a PC.

Previous job and the partner school yes - every teacher and even some support staff.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234