View Poll Results: Do your teachers have a laptop each?

Voters
91. This poll is closed
  • Yes

52 57.14%
  • No

39 42.86%
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Teachers laptops in General; Yes 100% teacher and 70% Full Time Support staff. No departmental office PCs. No PCs in classrooms. Most offices are ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes 100% teacher and 70% Full Time Support staff.
    No departmental office PCs.
    No PCs in classrooms.
    Most offices are entirely wireless.
    VPN access (quaintk I know. We weren't in a position to faff about with Direct Access, and it still hasn't got to the point where we've got enough time)
    All documents, offline files, folder redirection, background sync to servers
    A Meru network built to support this scenario.
    Some Docking stations for offices that need screens larger than a laptop (i.e. for those people who are primarily static, but need occasional mobility/ to be able to work from home)

We always fix on an 'enterprise model' so we can get known hardware for 18-36 months. All staff laptops are encrypted (Bitlocker).

Five year refresh cycle. (which has been possible since release of Core 2, provided you buy at the enterprise/mac end of the market). May have to replace batteries at some point, but I know that my last place is running second generation core 2 devices (with intel 4956 abn wireless) on the originals and performance remains acceptable.
    Last edited by psydii; 21st October 2013 at 12:17 PM.

Thank Post
    We don't supply laptops here, We don't have the budget to. We have some old laptops out with staff members who periodically bring it in to me and demand a new one but they get sent away.

It's a shame that we can't/don't run an optional purchase program. We'd provide all the main infrastructure then if staff want a laptop we recommend and buy in bulk and provide then they cough up.

Thank Post
    We have fixed machines in each classroom but still provide laptops, although I have argued against it for years. The amount of laptop envy we get each year when we hand them out is staggering.

Thank Post
    yes each member of staff does have a laptop. some i dont even see onsite now which is going to be shot soon
    if they want macbooks they have to put the rest of the money in to by it as we get a cost per laptop tosh normaly

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    We have fixed machines in each classroom but still provide laptops, although I have argued against it for years. The amount of laptop envy we get each year when we hand them out is staggering.
    Ha yeah! Had an infuriating conversation with a HoD who demanded a new laptop, when asked what was wrong with hers she replied that nothing was wrong with it but a member of her department had a newer one, "I'm head of department, I should have the newest laptop!" *boggle*

Thank Post
    Got rid of Laptops, too much of a headache (this was a few years ago) but a way to make sure they at least bring them in we found was using KMS, keep it off the network then it will stop working.

Thank Post
    Each teacher gets a laptop - is part of their "toolkit".

No classrooms have PCs - in fact, we have very few desktop PCs available for staff use.

We get the odd person who uses their laptop infrequently... but generally speaking they all get used rather well.

Thank Post
    All classrooms and admin offices have fixed desktops. There's desktops in the staffroom for preparing work etc also. Terminal servers available for accessing school resources from home. We have around 10 laptops here. Where SLT have wanted a laptop we've stipulated that it will replace their desktop and given them a dock and larger screen.

So much more reliable than dishing out laptops and expecting the staff to bring them in each day, and then moan that they have a better laptop at home. I'm sorry but I'm not given enough budget to replace them as often as you might like.

Thank Post
    We do currently allocate staff laptops but haven't refreshed them in a while. Staff have full admin access to these laptops. That means maintaining a balance between empowering teachers to install applications for their own productivity on the one hand, and dealing with the "it's really slow on the Internet because I've installed six IE toolbars" complaints on the other.

We may look at a salary sacrifice scheme along the lines of those offered by e.g. Stone Computers or BT Business Direct, though introducing it after having provided them "for free" for so long would be very tricky. Some case studies on whether or not they actually make a real difference to staff productivity these days, where (as in our case) most staff do have a home device and remote access can bring them their full desktop, could be useful. The same debate has been had out before around IWBs and how tangible the difference was when viewed in the long term.

Thank Post
    I once suggested to the Head of ICT that instead of providing laptops we provided remote access to school computers from home. "oh" he replied, "will school will be paying for everyone's Internet connection then?" He was being serious.

Thank Post
    I once suggested to the Head of ICT that instead of providing laptops we provided remote access to school computers from home. "oh" he replied, "will school will be paying for everyone's Internet connection then?" He was being serious.
    Wat.jpg

Thank Post
    There's a good diversity of approaches here. For many schools it will be "laptop or desktop" or perhaps "laptop or remote access". What has been the business case in the past for equating them?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Personally I feel teachers should not be supplied with laptops. However the pot of money should not just be reclaimed but spent on alternative solutions (which probably would be cheaper) for setting up remote access to the schools systems whether it be via remote desktop services - some kind of SSL gateway (like the juniper ones) etc.

Thank Post
    When I was working at the local council a few years back they were paying for internet connections at the councillors homes as they used a council provided laptop at home. There were limitations with this as they were only allowed to use the connection for work purposes. Also, calling the ISPs to troubleshoot internet problems with a connection in somebody else's home is a real problem!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I just had to clarify this with our BM recently, we only supply laptops to staff that do regular off-site meetings. All classrooms have desktop PCs in place but faculty's can purchase for their departments if they wish but its not supplied from my budget (just as well really). A number of teachers have aging laptops from the days before we had network ports in every room and then desktops on their desks but we will not be replacing these.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast