View Poll Results: Do your teachers have a laptop each?

Voters
91. This poll is closed
  • Yes

52 57.14%
  • No

39 42.86%
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Teachers laptops in General; Not anymore. We replaced them with remote access from the home computer via Citrix. We have a grand total of ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not anymore. We replaced them with remote access from the home computer via Citrix. We have a grand total of 2 laptops on the system. 1 is for configuring switches.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep laptops are given out as a matter of course whether they are used or not. All classrooms have a fixed station so laptops are soley for home use.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Yes, in both schools - but they have to use them everyday attached to their whiteboards etc in the classroom.
    I would rather see a fixed desktop in each room and remote access or somesuch. To give out a laptop when they have a fixed machine at school is a real privilege and, budget-wise, a step too far IMHO.

4. Thanks to witch from:

Little-Miss (21st October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,648 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    To give out a laptop when they have a fixed machine at school is a real privilege and, budget-wise, a step too far IMHO.
    I couldn't possibly comment on a policy set by SMT

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    We haven't since the laptop for teachers scheme died around 6 years ago, if staff want a laptop they have to purchase themselves and we don't give any technical support as we advise them to get that with the purchase.

DHT has given support for this as the school could no longer provide and as the staff have always had remote access as well as a computer and IWB in every room there has been no requirements to supply laptops.

I find it totally inconceivable in today's financial climate that schools are still providing laptops for teachers where they are not required.

7. Thanks to bossman from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    We haven't since the laptop for teachers scheme died around 6 years ago, if staff want a laptop they have to purchase themselves and we don't give any technical support as we advise them to get that with the purchase.

DHT has given support for this as the school could no longer provide and as the staff have always had remote access as well as a computer and IWB in every room there has been no requirements to supply laptops.

I find it totally inconceivable in today's financial climate that schools are still providing laptops for teachers where they are not required.
    Once again, @bossman, mlnm, your example is a shining star that I can only aspire to follow

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Yes, in both schools - but they have to use them everyday attached to their whiteboards etc in the classroom.
    I would rather see a fixed desktop in each room and remote access or somesuch. To give out a laptop when they have a fixed machine at school is a real privilege and, budget-wise, a step too far IMHO.
    Yes, I think it's good to have a desktop in classrooms too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Some of mine have 2...

Thank Post
    Yes, and judging by the Safeguard 90 day lock outs no bugger uses them.

I mentioned this to the CoG who is now making the case to stop automatically giving teachers laptops.

As I keep telling them Laptops for Teachers was a one off in 2004 - every subsequent laptop bought since then was with the schools money. It's not a right!

It gets even worse though. At my sister in laws school they have a "chap" who knows the Head who does their IT. She was given a brand new 17" Acer laptop (with nice nVidia card) and it's unusable!
    Last edited by Trapper; 21st October 2013 at 11:40 AM.

12. Thanks to Trapper from:

Thank Post
    There is quite a bit I could say on this, but @bossman has pretty much said it all. We have fixed PCs in all classrooms and a staff IT room, so the attitude to staff laptops here (from IT and SLT) is pretty much 'hell no'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    We recalled all teacher laptops 3yrs ago and binned them.
    There was an initial outcry that everything would be 'impossible' and they 'couldn't teach' without them. That died down quite quickly after the rationale was supported by SLT.
    We provided permanent machines in each room.
    We encourage those who want to to bring in their own device. Most have ipads or other tablets.
    The cost in terms of man hours for support and cost of replacement is a lot less with fixed desktops.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Interestingly, we went the other way and ditched the classroom desktop and went with laptops. So far (around 18 months in) and it's been okay, a few damaged laptops, but we've had the spares to cover for it and staff seem to prefer laptops. They have to use the laptops for registration, which means they have to be used and I actually get told when there is an issue!

Thank Post
    We have a desktop in every classroom (some with 2) so staff laptops are not provided as a rule. However, if a staff member requests one, and SLT agree one is required then one is provided.

Thank Post
    Every member of staff has a laptop here, and we have fixed stations in the classrooms for the IWB's to. Has been like this for 10 years now. Staff use the laptops loads just walked into the science prep room this morning and it was like a mini IT suite, all getting resources ready.

Thank Post
    All of our teaching staff are given laptops as a matter of course. We don't provide classroom workstations so the laptops are used all the time for projecting etc. Interestingly, we have maybe only a dozen Smartboards in the school! We started putting them in but they weren't used (apart from some idiot who wrote on theirs with permanent marker). We started giving out laptops about 8 years ago and they get replaced roughly every 4 years once they become too 'teacher damaged' to continue using. Nothing amazing though, we spend £300 per laptop MAX!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast