+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Educating Yorkshire on Channel 4 in General; I see a lot of different schools - it's representative of some. Bit concerned that it might affect the learning ...
    Thank Post
    I see a lot of different schools - it's representative of some. Bit concerned that it might affect the learning of some students and that it reflects badly on Yorkshire schools. London schools can worlds apart when they're only a few hundred yards apart! It's all down to the staff and headteacher (normally).
    Anyone want a list of the good ones?
    I should work undercover for OFSTED

Thank Post
    Unfortuanutly the programme just makes me think that there is a case for the cane being reintroduced - for parents.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey-gear View Post
    Does seem rather brave of the schools to allow their day to day activaties to be recorded.
    Yes but its all edited in such a way to go for ratings. My previous job had camera's on site - was something to do with the Prom on C4. It concentrated on a few students who wanted to either be asked or get a yes when asking some one else, instead of the overall Prom. So it stuck on the "love" story especially one girl who was put in to tears. It didn't go in to the full setup or even running of the Prom even though it was supposed to.

Educating Schools is a great show but it has more of the troubled students or the "big" stories instead of the overall students. And it is recorded over a year isn't it?

I do enjoy it though and does show what some students can be like. Doesn't show the IT guys fixing or simply "switching on" the equipment though. Doesn't show anything "not" working (at least from what I have seen).

I certainly don't remember SIMs having zero issues

Thank Post
    It reflects that school as opposed to education in general, but I'm sure we all see things on there that we have seen or know occur where we work.

I can't quite cope with the ethos one member of staff took that it was OK to swear at him but just not outside of their one-to-one in his office...really? That's OK with you if he rants at you and swears as much as he likes? If it helps him vent and stay in school, apparently so. Clearly last night's main study could be good if he was engaged by the topic.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Yes but its all edited in such a way to go for ratings.
    Indeed - a few weeks ago there was a shot of the Headsaying something and a following shot of the response...yet clearly, the first camera position would have been in the exact spot the person he was supposedly speaking to had to have been standing...editing and several takes I think to get a worthwhile show.

6. Thanks to Gibson335 from:

gwendes (18th October 2013)

Thank Post
    We got a call from the production company last year asking us if we wanted to do it - we said thanks but no thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,768 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid View Post
    Who's brave enough to sign their school up for the next series?
    What's in it for the school?

Thank Post
    Been great to watch this as well as Harrow one too.

Nice to see a school coming into modern times and doing things to make it work for the kids, if that was the school I went to there would be no makeup what so ever, no hair styles other than just straight, what this school has done is allowed this, as it gets the kids in the school and treating them as young adults, effectively bringing the workplace into a school if that makes sense. You go to work and have freedom on your appearance why not allow this in schools, why does appearance etc matter in what education if been gained, surely just getting the kids into school and giving them a bit of slack is better than been in a rules based environment.

I have always said I could never work in education and have turned jobs down even though it would be a breeze for me, but Thornhill would be one school I could work with, the SLT are great, they are up to date and trying to bring education up to date.

Not everyone will agree but I wish I had him as my head when I was at school rather than Mini Hitler, once some get to a point the power hits them I think, just what I think but seen it time and time.

Would like to see more of Thornhill, been good to watch something where common sense is used.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,768 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    What's in it for the school?
    I guess I have answered my own question.

Educating Yorkshire brings wave of interest in Thornhill academy The Guardian

For as long as most local people can remember, Thornhill community academy in Dewsbury has not been many parents' first choice. It was built to accommodate 900 students, but only 760 or so are currently enrolled, 42% of whom are poor enough to qualify for free school meals.

But if the turnout at the recent open evening is anything to go by, there soon could be competition for places. "There were three times as many families at the open evening as usual: 500 people," said Jonny Mitchell, the school's 41-year-old headteacher. Some parents are in a hurry. "We've had 20 to 30 'in-year' applications in the last month – people inquiring about moving their children to us straight away," he added.

Then there's the recent stream of emails – "hundreds", says Mitchell – from people suddenly wanting to work at the 1960s comprehensive.

The increased interest may have something to do with the school's improved results – this year 88% of pupils managed five A*-C passes, up from 56% in 2009. But it is also almost certainly fuelled by Thornhill's appearance on Channel 4's popular reality show, Educating Yorkshire.

Around 4.3 million people watched the programme at the start of its run, twice the audience won by its 2009 forebear, Educating Essex.
    The Daily Mail hated the programme however...

Educating Yorkshire has only really had one bad review so far, from the Daily Mail. The show is "sickening to watch", wrote Christopher Stevens, objecting to Mitchell's loose tie and habit of calling pupils "mate".

Thank Post
    Have you noticed the school ties are clip on ones?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The Daily Mail hated the programme however...
    What don't they hate?

Its been good fun to watch.

Thank Post
    I'll have to start watching this at some point.. feeling left out

The head used to teach Science at my secondary, had him for a few lessons. Called everyone mate then too :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeggleStar View Post
    Have you noticed the school ties are clip on ones?
    I have a feeling all schools have to have clip on ties or elastic ones now - could be wrong but feel like I heard that somewhere. Something about health and safety. Very strange health and safety!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 852 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Novalee View Post
    I have a feeling all schools have to have clip on ties or elastic ones now - could be wrong but feel like I heard that somewhere. Something about health and safety. Very strange health and safety!
    Probably for the same reason that the Police wear clip on ties - very difficult to be throttled by them.

I'm a bit sad that it's the last one this week... really enjoyed it, as I did Essex. The only TV programme that's ever given a realistic portrayal of life in a school. All the Daily Fail writers whinging that "should our schools be like this?" should try and spend a day teaching. The nature of schools has changed massively in the last decade alone - pastoral care is a much, much greater focus now than it was even when I was there (although maybe my school was just uncaring - it was a traditional grammar of the kind much adored by the Mail, as it happens).

Thank Post
    They also have a very talented TA who has mastered the art of omnipresence and the quick change routine.

I think I have seen her change outfit 3 times in one day and be in a lesson whilst also running the inclusion centre.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast