+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, School governors and insecure communication in General; Originally Posted by Hosker So what you are saying is governors do not deal with information that ICO would see ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosker View Post
    So what you are saying is governors do not deal with information that ICO would see as being part of the DPA?
    I can only speak for my GB, but personally sensistive data is not part of the Governor remit.

In the last few years, I have been part of exclusion panels, interview panels, redundancy panels and an employment appeal panel. In all cases the paperwork was either brought to my home by the clerk, or I collected it from school.

Raiseonline data, league table information, general information on levels of progress made by groups of students may embarrass the school if leaked, but it is not subject to the DPA.

Thank Post
    I am also a governor most of the content is as @elsiegee40 says public domain, minutes are posted on the website etc. We use School Leadership Systems which acts as a virtual office so documents are stored on there, I personally try not to print or carry out any paperwork from meetings as I like everything to be digital. Stuff that does get emailed as far as I am aware is not massively sensitive. Governors have recently requested school email addresses we use Office 365 so I am guessing they may start using our email system which I am fine with. All of them have signed or will be signing our AUP which includes items about data protection. I guess it depends on how your governing body operate.

Thank Post
    I like the sound of Googles 2 step sign on. I have never used 365 does this have similar? But if it’s on your device and that is not encrypted then still against ico advice. Oh yes I spent many years as a governor. Just love the punishment.

Thank Post
    *inserts my 2p*

If everything GB are writing is accessible through a FOI request, then that means they have to surrender their personal email accounts for data trawling surely?

Im pretty sure if gov knew this they would quickly start using official school supplied accounts.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by levell3r View Post
    *inserts my 2p*

If everything GB are writing is accessible through a FOI request, then that means they have to surrender their personal email accounts for data trawling surely?

Im pretty sure if gov knew this they would quickly start using official school supplied accounts.....
    No. We don't have to surrender our personal email accounts for FoI. The Gb has to provide the information requested... that is not the same thing at all. A member of the public can't simply ask to see everything in a Governor's inbox betweeen certain dates. They could request specific information which might include email content, but that doesn't require us to hand over our accounts.

Thank Post
    Should this be in General Chat?

Thank Post
    All of our Governors have exchange based school email accounts and have had for years. They're told to use them and mostly do, especially as the school will only send to that address. However, lots of them use mail clients like Gmail and outlook/outlook.com and have unified inboxes which leaves us not much further forward than personal email accounts. Plenty also download to their phone - if set up properly, that's fine, because when they set up the hosted exchange system enforces a remote wipe capability as part of it. I have suspicions that some use work arounds too, such as forwarding from mail clients - they can't set up forwarding rules in the hosted exchange. It was reported to me that at the last FGB meeting when they were talking about storing documents a governor said "I could just share them with you - I've got them all on Dropbox anyway".

I've had words and data security is an agenda item at the next meeting...

Having said all that, I think it is worth mentioning that we need to make it easy and straightforward for Governors to be contacted and for them to receive all the documents they need to perform their role. Lots of our Governors can't access webmail at work and don't necessarily log onto a PC every night when they get home. We can't just shout about DP without providing a workable solution.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I can only speak for my GB, but personally sensistive data is not part of the Governor remit.

In the last few years, I have been part of exclusion panels, interview panels, redundancy panels and an employment appeal panel. In all cases the paperwork was either brought to my home by the clerk, or I collected it from school.

Raiseonline data, league table information, general information on levels of progress made by groups of students may embarrass the school if leaked, but it is not subject to the DPA.
    Almost all of what we send is not subject to DPA, but quite a lot is sensitive and I would venture that some comments and individual opinions are definitely tempered through the drafting process and are edited before a publishable version is reached.

Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Should this be in General Chat?
    Probably not any more - sorry, partly my fault.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12