+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Private Renting.... in General; Im moving house on the 26th to someone much bigger and better area. However, Ive not long ago (past 2 ...
    Thank Post

Private Renting....

Im moving house on the 26th to someone much bigger and better area.

However, Ive not long ago (past 2 weeks) received a latter from mydeposits telling me my deposit is no longer protected.

I have mentioned this to the agents when I gave my notice on Friday, the excuse was -

"Weve moved offices, and mydeposits havent updated the records and have been writing to us at the old offices"

I think I can smell BS.

My tenancy was up in August so I resigned a 6 month contract.. HOWEVER..... they have lost it. SO where do I stand ?????

Anyone got any ideas ?

Thanks all.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I assume you have a copy of your new contract? Each party is required take a copy of the contract to prevent mishaps/naughtiness by either side.

Is your property landlord or estate agency managed? If it's landlord, it's up to him to authorise the deposit release.

3. Thanks to ICTDirect_Dave from:

cpjitservices (16th October 2013)

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    Im moving house on the 26th to someone much bigger and better area.

However, Ive not long ago (past 2 weeks) received a latter from mydeposits telling me my deposit is no longer protected.

I have mentioned this to the agents when I gave my notice on Friday, the excuse was -

"Weve moved offices, and mydeposits havent updated the records and have been writing to us at the old offices"

I think I can smell BS.

My tenancy was up in August so I resigned a 6 month contract.. HOWEVER..... they have lost it. SO where do I stand ?????

Anyone got any ideas ?

Thanks all.
    Have you got a copy of everything you sent? Deposits? Letters you sent to the offices? Etc etc. If so, in a court of law, they're liable, not you as they should have written to each of their customers explaining their situation (regarding moving offices).

Start talking to a few lawyers early on to get a few opinions in this matter. Keep on top of the agents, and pursue them constantly.

5. Thanks to Sunnyknight from:

Thank Post
    I Have in my emails a copy of the tenancy Agreement as signed by me, in my sent items.

I have saved a copy of it so I have a hard copy.

I Had a chat with the agent about giving my notice, she said I could only give a months notice on the last month of the contract which would be in Feb, but I pointed out yes but you havent got my contract that I signed and sent to you via email like you asked me to have you ? so the agent allowed me to give my notice there and then via email.

Hope this doesnt go tits up as im supposed to be moving out on the 26th!
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 16th October 2013 at 12:33 PM.

Thank Post
    I had no notice of them moving offices, aside form finding out on their facebook page.

Thank Post
    I'm pretty sure they need to give you written notice if they change their address - had the same a few years ago - posted our intention to leave the house 1 good month in advance, then get hassle from the landlord as he said he wasn't informed becuase we posted it to his old address - he didnt let us know and his website also was not updated. - then he began showing people round without our consent or knowledge - not very good on a saturday morning at 9am!

9. Thanks to mole from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Your deposit isnt lost, I dont think, it just isnt protected anymore. This doesnt mean you will lose it, and if you did, it is the managing agents problem as it was their fault for not telling mydeposits that they had moved. IF there is any issue with the return of your deposit then the managing agents will be the ones to cover it. Tell them this. Better still, tell them a solicitor has told you to tell them this

11. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Shelter England - The housing and homelessness charity - is a great resource for things like this.

13. Thanks to CHR1S from:

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone ill keep an eye on the situation and chase the agents and see what the state of play is - as of yet I havent heard anything back from them ... I was promised a call back on the day that I sent them my notice.

Thank Post
    When I moved out of rented accommodation a couple of years ago I asked about how I go about getting the deposit back and was told that the agency do not keep any deposits but it sits with an independent body and will only be released when both the tenant and landlord agree. This was to prevent landlords/agency keeping the deposit by claiming that damages were made while you were in the property. Effectively this meant that the agents would only contact the body holding the deposit once they were instructed to do so when all parties agreed on any costs (if any) being taken from the deposit.

As for the agency response that mydeposits writing to them at the old address, how would they know unless they still received the mail? If they have moved offices I would expect them to contact every company they have dealings with & ensure their records are up to date. But my expectations of agents are about as low as you can get - they do nothing if they can help it and change you for the pleasure.

16. Thanks to penfold from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread