+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Naive - Silkroad??? in General; Both yesterday and today I've been reading about this now infamous website called Silkroad that has only been accessible through ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Naive - Silkroad???

Both yesterday and today I've been reading about this now infamous website called Silkroad that has only been accessible through the TOR web browser. I feel really naive in that I'd never heard of it. Had anyone else?

Yes I've heard of Tor and of bitcoin but never Silkroad. The Guardian reporter today said she spend 10 minutes on Google finding references to this sort of site - I wouldn't know where to start. I mean you can hardly type into Google 'Illegal hidden darknet site selling drugs' (or can you?).

Guess I'm just naive in the ways of the web. Did anyone else know about it?

Gareth

Thank Post
    Yeah, was the biggest sort of "bad" site going Lots of stuff you can buy on there, take your pick really! Anything illegal was for sale, drugs, hitmen etc Not really surprising it was taken down eventually.

Steve

Thank Post
    I knew of The Silk Road by reputation, but always questioned its authenticity. Having never used Tor myself I haven't been there.

I had no doubts it was a real website, and truth be told I did believe there was drug trafficking and the selling of malware/virusses/rootkits etc. Even prostitution.
    Can't say I honestly believed the 'assassinations for bitcoins' rumours, though.

Thank Post
    I've known about both versions of Silkroad - the popular MMORPG and the unrestricted marketplace - for a while.

Is it a problem that you didn't know about it? There are also several replacements to Silkroad ready to come online soon to fill the gap. TOR contains lots of dodgy stuff, part of the reason it exists and part of the reason NSA/GCHQ are investing a lot of time and money into resources and technologies to destabilise and de-anonymise users.

5. Thanks to DrPerceptron from:

Sunnyknight (10th October 2013)

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPerceptron View Post
    I've known about both versions of Silkroad - the popular MMORPG and the unrestricted marketplace - for a while.

Is it a problem that you didn't know about it? There are also several replacements to Silkroad ready to come online soon to fill the gap. TOR contains lots of dodgy stuff, part of the reason it exists and part of the reason NSA/GCHQ are investing a lot of time and money into resources and technologies to destabilise and de-anonymise users.
    This ^

Thank Post
    Nope I didnt know about it, mind you I dont really know much about Tor either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The fun thing about this is that a load of its users are terrified and posting on Reddit, worried that the authorities are coming for them.

What I say is - live in fear!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd heard of silkroad... and ANOTHER website that's arguably worse.

TBH I'm not sure what to do about the other one...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    and ANOTHER website that's arguably worse.
    4chan? :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd heard of silkroad... and ANOTHER website that's arguably worse.

TBH I'm not sure what to do about the other one...
    Home | Mail Online ?

12. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

tech_guy (10th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    4chan? :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Much as I'd like to joke about this... it's a serious CP issue.

Thank Post
    Then 'what to do about the other one' would surely be 'file a report with the appropriate authorities'?

I have no difficulty in believing the 'darknet' has numerous websites seriously violating child protection and exploitation laws. There are, unfortunately, some sick people out there that will seize the opportunity.

Honestly, that's one of the primary reasons I've never ventured into Tor and the .Onion domains. I don't want to risk 'stumbling' across something like that. Admittedly, such illegal activities will likely still be protected in some manner.. But the risk..
    Last edited by Garacesh; 10th October 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Then 'what to do about the other one' would surely be 'file a report with the appropriate authorities'?

I have no difficulty in believing the 'darknet' has numerous websites seriously violating child protection and exploitation laws. There are, unfortunately, some sick people out there that will seize the opportunity.
    I'm currently writing up a CEOP report... I'm stuck on the "who it happened to".

Honestly, that's one of the primary reasons I've never ventured into Tor and the .Onion domains. I don't want to risk 'stumbling' across something like that. Admittedly, such illegal activities will likely still be protected in some manner.. But the risk..
    I wish I never decided to test out TOR...

Le EDIT: Ok... CEOP is the wrong place and IWF is UK only. I'm at a loss here.
    Last edited by X-13; 10th October 2013 at 11:38 AM.

Thank Post
    I'm currently writing up a CEOP report... I'm stuck on the "who it happened to".
    I wish I never decided to test out TOR...
    That sounds like a story my morbid curiosity wants to hear, but my critical thinking does not.

CEOP is the wrong place? Why is that?
    I'd have thought that you'd be able to pass it to them due to it being online, and they would be able to pass it on to the relevant people?

Thank Post
    Surely the risk is only dependent on what you go looking for? If you just use TOR to (say) obfuscate your visits to carp fishing sites it's no worse than using your normal browser (apart from "they" would have an easier time tracking your leisure pursuits). It's not as if you have to pass through a TOR gateway site offering you all kinds of illegal stuff.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information