+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Energy Companies in General; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mole View Post
    @nephilim, I'll check this out with my landlord and see if he happy with it (switch suppliers) as hopefully he'll renew our contract just before xmas and do some costings (with british gas for both atm so bound to work out cheaper) then I'll PM you.
    You may not need to talk to your landlord Citizens Advice - Can you switch gas or electricity supplier if you’re a tenant? I switched mine years ago but I'll have to switch it back if I leave.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Must be where you live as british gas for me is 17p per KwH + 26p per day standing charge.

Ebico = £3.24 a day (based on your 18 hour usage)
    BG = £3.32 a day (based on your 18 hour usage)

However unless you are seriously caning the juice when home, you have approximately 9 hours not at home (half hour drive time too and from work).

So Ebico would then be £1.62 and BG would be £1.79 (this is based on what BG would offer me). Unless I run off 26KwH in a given day, I am better off on Ebico.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    I just had a look at Ebico's web site and could not believe how expensive they are. 18p a KWh!!! I pay less than 12p a KWh with British Gas yeah there is a standing charge of 26p a day but i use around 18KW a day.

So for me

bgas £2.16 a day (12p * 18) + 26p Standing charge (£2.42)
    Ebicos £3.24 a day (18p * 18)
    As I said in my original post:

Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    While I appreciate that this would not work out the same for everyone, depending on how you use energy in your household, it shows that it really isn't necessary to increase energy prices every few months if you don't have big bonuses and shareholder dividends to pay!
    It's horses for courses. If you're a high energy consumer (and at £60+ a month I think you most definitely fall into that category), then you will almost certainly benefit from a tiered tariff that offers a lower price per kWh once you use a certain amount. Someone like me, however, who spends an average of £30 a month on electricity and maybe £15 a month on gas, Ebico wins hands down, especially if they are using a pre-pay meter.

Saying that, I would WILLINGLY pay DOUBLE every month rather than pay a penny to British Gas!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mole View Post
    @nephilim, I'll check this out with my landlord and see if he happy with it (switch suppliers)
    @mole Unless the energy account for your property is in your landlord's name, he cannot dictate who you choose as your supplier.

Thank Post
    oh no both in my name, made sure of that, thinks he's just against physical changes but courtesy to let him know

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No need to let him know, why delay!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    For the sake of a number of months ( depending on a few other factors ) may as well just keep it the same for the time being and will consider this when the property is our own, currently we allocate aprox £60 for each per month

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @mac_shinobi. Ebico have no contracts to tie you into, so you could join at this property and move the account to the new one. The idea of WAITING to save money is stupid when you CAN start to save today.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    I know my old Bermuda's hardly efficient - permanent pilot, minimal complexity, noncondensing..it's a venerable old beastie. However, it's been lovingly serviced, given a clean bill of health and in the words of the engineer "will run until doomsday." There's nothing to really break on the thing, no condensate to freeze, no bells or whistles. It can stay - it'd take me a LONG time to make my money back on a new boiler.
    Exactly!

My boiler is 30 years old (and my Dad's is 40 years old) and still running perfectly. No fans to break, circuit boards to replace or thirty pounds a month maintenance contracts to pay for.

And whilst these new-fangled condensing/combo boilers might use slightly less gas up front, by the time you factor in the cost of their essential maintenance, servicing and parts replacement (both financially and "Carbon Footprintingly") they aren't such a bright idea!

mb

Thank Post
    Yep. In the rentals, we've had Storage heaters (1st flat, ouch), a Potterton (OK, I know they're also Baxi) Promax 24HE system boiler - nice, but expensive to run and died in the midwinter with a frozen condensate pipe, leading to overflow cutout and being frozen for 3 days. (3 bed house)

Then in the second flat we had a Potterton ..now, what was it? Combi, old...30HE..Performa I think. Rated for a 4 bed cottage, in a 2 bed flat. Noncondensing. Not bad, just old and worn..it used to need encouraging and rebooting repeatedly to flick back to heating from hot water mode (or a good thump), and sometimes the hot water would be steaming hot. Used to ignite with a thump and occasional flare from the exhaust.

The cottage had a Baxi Solo - woefully underrated for the property. Solid, but weedy. Noncondenser system boiler again.

When I walked round this house with the Estate agent, we were hunting for the boiler...couldn't see one. Looked at the fire..ah, yes. Same as my nans (60ish). That's a back boiler. Got in an engineer who did the most detailed teardown and clean I've ever seen, said "This hasn't been serviced in at least 10 years", replaced the thermocouple, said "It'll run forever, just make sure you have a CO detector in here as it's open flue", and left £50 better off.

I have the boiler stat set to low in the unit itself, the hot tank set to 60 in the electric element, 45 on the tankstat for the gas. Kids bath in 5-6 inches of water, no point in adding cold to that. Run it up to full temp on the electric element every couple of weeks to kill off bacteria, job done.

Thank Post
    I have spent 4 hours + this week just trying to get through to EDF, I'm moving home. I also am not aloud to switch from the pre-payment meters in my new home as Ive failed a credit check with British Gas.

Wasn't a happy bunny yesterday.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    I also am not aloud to switch from the pre-payment meters in my new home as Ive failed a credit check with British Gas.
    As I've advised others on this thread, give Ebico a call. They are the UK's only Not-For Profit energy company and offer the same price for pre-payment as Direct Debit. I decided to stick with the pre-payment meters so now I know exactly how much I am spending on gas and electricity. I just buy top-ups every month whether I need them or not. Built up over £100 of credit on my gas meter, which will see me well through the winter.

Thank Post

A pensioner gets £2500 refund from their energy supplier

At last, a good news story about energy companies - Pensioner gets £2500 refund from their energy supplier

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I got that from ebico too

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I got that from ebico too
    You got £2,500 refund?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast