+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, ICT Noob - In at the deep end in General; Hello Iíve recently secured a job working as an IT Technician in a school, despite my obvious lack of IT ...
    Thank Post

Question ICT Noob - In at the deep end

Hello

Iíve recently secured a job working as an IT Technician in a school, despite my obvious lack of IT knowledge and qualifications, they gave me the job.
    I spend the majority of my time doing administration, sorting printers/equipment and other general dogs-body tasks. The school did say that they would give me training, and to a certain extent they have, unfortunately, itís not enough and I still find myself struggling with routine requests from teachers and students.

I really want to pick up as much useful knowledge as possible. Just imagine that I have exactly zero knowledge and computers, servers, networks etcÖ I want to learn as much as I possibly can this academic year (2013/14).
    Can you recommend any good websites or books that offer introductionary advice of server administration and help desk?

I am both fortunate and grateful for this opportunity and I really donít want to waste it. Advice please?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Hello and welcome to edugeek. First off, which part of the country are you in? We may be able to recommend something local to you.

3. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

samepassword (13th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Comptia A+ is cracking. Grab all the free training you can, loads out there.

Don't need to take the exams or study for them if you don't want, but you'll be studying the curriculum for an actual qualification should you then decide you want to.

You'll have LOTS of penny-drop moments and go 'oh THAT'S how that works!' loads, and learn lots of job-relevant bits.

EDIT - and back in the day, we would all have added 'get an old PC and experiment to hell on it, can always re-install Windows if it dies' but NOW you can have virtual machines! Ever come across these before? If running Windows or Linux check out Virtualbox and experiment a bit. If you're stuck on it post here/can PM me/Google stuff and we'll get you going.
    Last edited by Miscbrah; 9th October 2013 at 06:12 PM.

5. Thanks to Miscbrah from:

Thank Post
    maybe give a brief outline of the systems your working on? first lesson I would say is document everything you have and how it's configured and works... that was should anything go wrong you have something to refer to.

7. Thanks to mjs_mjs from:

Thank Post
    ^ Actually this leads me to ask a question. Do you have a network manager above you or are you sole support?

9. Thanks to Miscbrah from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    ^ Actually this leads me to ask a question. Do you have a network manager above you or are you sole support?
    From the opening post, I am guessing Primary School here! Call it intuition.

11. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,093 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Comptia A+ would be good along with a book about Active Directory. There are some good basic guides on the web, too
    How did you get the job with no experience? Well done though!
    Please don't hesitate to post a question here, however basic you feel it is - we all had to start somewhere (and some of us are not much further down the road!)
    Everyone is keen to help and knowing the sorts of issues you have will also help us point you to resources that will help to explain what is going on.
    I feel your anxiety - 13 years ago I started a job with no recent, or relevant experience (I was an electronics engineer back in the day but I can't say it has been a huge help). I was lucky, I had mrwITch on the end of the phone - I used to shut myself in my tiny office with the server and cry, some days!
    But if we know where you are we can possibly put you in contact with a few people who would be happy to support you on the phone as well as here

13. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Microsoft Virtual Academy

Why go anywhere else? (get the experience, then use it to pass the exams for Microsoft Qualifications)

15. 3 Thanks to DrPerceptron:

bodminman (14th October 2013), samepassword (13th October 2013), speckytecky (10th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,591 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    How did you get the job with no experience?
    Probably the same way I did.

Supreme luck.

Though I think it helped that I already knew what to do in regards to safeguarding/child protection. [I literally said the first thing that came into my head.]

Sometimes schools will take a risk with soneone less qualified/experienced as there's a better chance they won't leave for a higher paid job.

17. Thanks to X-13 from:

Thank Post
    You will find everyday is a learning experience, enjoy it. That is the best training you could get. If you are able to do some online courses on the side that will help.

What network is it? RM or vanilla?

19. Thanks to Danp from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by samepassword View Post
    The school did say that they would give me training, and to a certain extent they have, unfortunately, it’s not enough and I still find myself struggling with routine requests from teachers and students.
    You should really talk to your line manager about this. Don't worry, they won't feel ill of you. A good line manager will see it as an opportunity to revisit how they support and train. After all they hired you for a reason, they must have seen something they liked at interview, right?

21. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Thank Post
    Amazon Local: Save in your city

Use this to get deals on any sort of IT related course. Courses that cost £1000 - £3000 in college or direct from the company, cost £100-£250 max.

How'd you think i got all my qualifications :P

23. Thanks to Sunnyknight from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by samepassword View Post
    The school did say that they would give me training, and to a certain extent they have, unfortunately, itís not enough and I still find myself struggling with routine requests from teachers and students.
    From my own experience: Don't worry about it. You'll always struggle with simple requests. Staff will come to you with a problem and you'll spend twenty minutes remembering what you did last time. That won't end.

And then one day, a few months from now, you'll realise "Oh.. Wait a minute.. I just did that without even thinking! ... I've been doing it without thinking for about three weeks now!"
    You won't notice yourself 'getting better', you'll just realise one day that you're tonnes better than you used to be.

I remember back to when I started on as an apprentice (I'm fully employed now, woo!), adding printer drivers and getting confused because I hadn't dealt with print servers before, changing toner and getting confused because we had 3 different types of HP's at the time.. Now I do them easily (on the rare occasion it crops up) but I couldn't tell you for the life of me at which point I made the transition from 'struggling' to 'competent' (or 'able to blag it convincingly', whichever you prefer) - Yesterday I was sat here discussing changes to the OS Image with the NM, I recently scripting an event log querier with PowerShell, about 6 months ago I created a network map with different vlans/a level 3 switch, DHCP pools, even did the switch config! I hadn't envisioned doing any of that within two years and I can confidently say I am fully competent at this job now.

My advice?
    • Be honest. If you feel out of your depth, ask a colleague. If you don't have colleagues, discuss further training with your line manager where appropriate.
    • EduGeek has a search bar in the top right that's saved me more times than I care to admit. And you can always ask questions openly and you'll get plenty of replies - just like now.
    • Google!

25. Thanks to Garacesh from:

Thank Post
    You got any support behind you? like we have a company we use ex LEA engineers who know their stuff we have 5 days support a year from them which we use if we are majorly stuck or need help with quite big server side tasks. We rarely use them but they have been fantastic to get advice from sometimes just to point you in the right direction..other than that hit edugeek everyday if you have a problem for it you can almost 100% guarantee there is 10+ threads on edugeek about, any upper schools nearby that you pop your head into? get some knowledge build a relationship up maybe you can give them a ring when you get really stuck

27. Thanks to Griff from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    • EduGeek has a search bar in the top right that's saved me more times than I care to admit. And you can always ask questions openly and you'll get plenty of replies - just like now.
    • Google!
    Oh hellz yeah on these two; will bail you out of most anything.

29. 2 Thanks to Miscbrah:

Garacesh (10th October 2013), samepassword (13th October 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast