+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
General Chat Thread, BBC News - BBC Plans To Launch BBC One +1 in General; Originally Posted by JimmyTown completely unnecessary with today's on demand services. If you miss the programme on iPlayer, there's also ...
  1. #16


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    8,861
    Thank Post
    226
    Thanked 2,664 Times in 1,963 Posts
    Rep Power
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTown View Post
    completely unnecessary with today's on demand services.
    If you miss the programme on iPlayer, there's also the option of buying it (or the series) from the BBC Store. It will be interesting to see if they will undercut Google and Apple, given that we already pay a license fee

    A new venture that the BBC hopes will be a money spinner is called the BBC Store. When this commercial service launches it “will offer people in the UK the chance to buy a whole range of programmes to watch and keep forever,” explained Hall. People seem to like to buy and keep things permanently, rather than renting or owning time-limited content, so this service could do well. The move will pit the BBC against many other online TV/Film retailers and subscription services in a competitive market. (Source)

  2. #17
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,765
    Thank Post
    898
    Thanked 416 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If you miss the programme on iPlayer, there's also the option of buying it (or the series) from the BBC Store. It will be interesting to see if they will undercut Google and Apple, given that we already pay a license fee
    That's actually a really good idea.

    The more money they make from their excellent content the less money they will hopefully need from tax payers in the future!

  3. #18


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,588
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    pointless. On freeview kill the plus ones (and the shopping crap) and give us some more hd channels id love itv4 hd for the touring cars

  4. #19

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    5,655
    Thank Post
    849
    Thanked 890 Times in 737 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    pointless. On freeview kill the plus ones (and the shopping crap) and give us some more hd channels id love itv4 hd for the touring cars
    You could probably pair down Freeview to around a dozen channels actually worth watching. Broadcast them all in HD and still freeup more whitespace to help solve the rural broadband speeds problem. Push more more set top boxes like YouView with HDD and all ondemand players built in and what need is there for "Dave ja vu" or "E4 +1"?

  5. #20


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,588
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 856 Times in 735 Posts
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    You could probably pair down Freeview to around a dozen channels actually worth watching. Broadcast them all in HD and still freeup more whitespace to help solve the rural broadband speeds problem. Push more more set top boxes like YouView with HDD and all ondemand players built in and what need is there for "Dave ja vu" or "E4 +1"?
    on demand is pointless here a few miles from leeds i get 700k iplayer is useless but dont most people have some sort of pvr i just record everything and watch it at some point apart from btcc i can remember the last thing i watched live

  6. #21
    Gibbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    899
    Thank Post
    206
    Thanked 343 Times in 238 Posts
    Rep Power
    93
    I'm noticing less and less on Virgin's delivery of Iplayer. For example, no HIGFY from Friday, and no F1 programmes whatsoever.

  7. #22
    Quackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,319
    Thank Post
    40
    Thanked 142 Times in 117 Posts
    Rep Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    I would like to see all +1 channels closed and the bandwidth used to increase the strength of the existing channels, so the signal doesn't break up when it rains. Signal breakup wasn't a problem when we had proper analogue TV.
    Are you on about Terrestrial or Satellite ? When it rained with analogue satellite the heavier the rain the more white speckles would appear on the screen, with digital it has to be extreamly heavy for the picture to go. Terrestrial wise i have never had the rain cause my signal to go funny digital, but in the analogue days i remember the weather in general would effect some channels quality.

  8. #23
    bodminman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    1,153
    Thank Post
    724
    Thanked 224 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    84
    +1's are also handy for clashes when wanting to record programs that start at the same time.

    I know you can record two channels with Sky+ but you can't then watch a 3rd channel. So staggering the recording times helps.

  9. #24

    unixman_again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    710
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 142 Times in 109 Posts
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Are you on about Terrestrial or Satellite ? When it rained with analogue satellite the heavier the rain the more white speckles would appear on the screen, with digital it has to be extreamly heavy for the picture to go. Terrestrial wise i have never had the rain cause my signal to go funny digital, but in the analogue days i remember the weather in general would effect some channels quality.
    When we had analogue, there were a few specks on the picture when it rained heavily but it was watchable. With Freeview, a decent downpour causes the picture to pixelise and freeze for several seconds. During a thunderstorm, I sometimes get no reception at all. Some frequencies are worse than others, so I will lose a whole block of channels. Freesat is the most reliable picturewise, although a huge weather system will completely block the signal. With Freesat, "they" move the channels around quite often, so I have to retune as channels fall off. It's a pain to retune as I lose all of my "bookmarked" channels, and with 950+ to scan through, it takes a couple of hours to find them. I retuned a couple of weekends ago and I had to do it again last weekend.

  10. #25

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,500
    Thank Post
    1,578
    Thanked 482 Times in 302 Posts
    Rep Power
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    During a thunderstorm, I sometimes get no reception at all. Some frequencies are worse than others, so I will lose a whole block of channels. Freesat is the most reliable picturewise, although a huge weather system will completely block the signal.
    What size dish and LNB do you use? Also check the dish alignment isn't off a bit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. BBC News with Subtitles to embed in Xibo
    By meastaugh1 in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 22nd September 2011, 11:33 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th May 2011, 11:24 AM
  3. [Android] BBC News:Mobile phone to blast into orbit
    By JJonas in forum Netbooks, PDA and Phones
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th January 2011, 08:40 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th July 2010, 08:30 PM
  5. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 6th November 2007, 05:59 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •