+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, BBC News - BBC Plans To Launch BBC One +1 in General; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,004 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyTown View Post
    completely unnecessary with today's on demand services.
    If you miss the programme on iPlayer, there's also the option of buying it (or the series) from the BBC Store. It will be interesting to see if they will undercut Google and Apple, given that we already pay a license fee

A new venture that the BBC hopes will be a money spinner is called the BBC Store. When this commercial service launches it “will offer people in the UK the chance to buy a whole range of programmes to watch and keep forever,” explained Hall. People seem to like to buy and keep things permanently, rather than renting or owning time-limited content, so this service could do well. The move will pit the BBC against many other online TV/Film retailers and subscription services in a competitive market. (Source)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If you miss the programme on iPlayer, there's also the option of buying it (or the series) from the BBC Store. It will be interesting to see if they will undercut Google and Apple, given that we already pay a license fee
    That's actually a really good idea.

The more money they make from their excellent content the less money they will hopefully need from tax payers in the future!

Thank Post
    pointless. On freeview kill the plus ones (and the shopping crap) and give us some more hd channels id love itv4 hd for the touring cars

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    pointless. On freeview kill the plus ones (and the shopping crap) and give us some more hd channels id love itv4 hd for the touring cars
    You could probably pair down Freeview to around a dozen channels actually worth watching. Broadcast them all in HD and still freeup more whitespace to help solve the rural broadband speeds problem. Push more more set top boxes like YouView with HDD and all ondemand players built in and what need is there for "Dave ja vu" or "E4 +1"?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    You could probably pair down Freeview to around a dozen channels actually worth watching. Broadcast them all in HD and still freeup more whitespace to help solve the rural broadband speeds problem. Push more more set top boxes like YouView with HDD and all ondemand players built in and what need is there for "Dave ja vu" or "E4 +1"?
    on demand is pointless here a few miles from leeds i get 700k iplayer is useless but dont most people have some sort of pvr i just record everything and watch it at some point apart from btcc i can remember the last thing i watched live

Thank Post
    I'm noticing less and less on Virgin's delivery of Iplayer. For example, no HIGFY from Friday, and no F1 programmes whatsoever.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    I would like to see all +1 channels closed and the bandwidth used to increase the strength of the existing channels, so the signal doesn't break up when it rains. Signal breakup wasn't a problem when we had proper analogue TV.
    Are you on about Terrestrial or Satellite ? When it rained with analogue satellite the heavier the rain the more white speckles would appear on the screen, with digital it has to be extreamly heavy for the picture to go. Terrestrial wise i have never had the rain cause my signal to go funny digital, but in the analogue days i remember the weather in general would effect some channels quality.

Thank Post
    +1's are also handy for clashes when wanting to record programs that start at the same time.

I know you can record two channels with Sky+ but you can't then watch a 3rd channel. So staggering the recording times helps.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Are you on about Terrestrial or Satellite ? When it rained with analogue satellite the heavier the rain the more white speckles would appear on the screen, with digital it has to be extreamly heavy for the picture to go. Terrestrial wise i have never had the rain cause my signal to go funny digital, but in the analogue days i remember the weather in general would effect some channels quality.
    When we had analogue, there were a few specks on the picture when it rained heavily but it was watchable. With Freeview, a decent downpour causes the picture to pixelise and freeze for several seconds. During a thunderstorm, I sometimes get no reception at all. Some frequencies are worse than others, so I will lose a whole block of channels. Freesat is the most reliable picturewise, although a huge weather system will completely block the signal. With Freesat, "they" move the channels around quite often, so I have to retune as channels fall off. It's a pain to retune as I lose all of my "bookmarked" channels, and with 950+ to scan through, it takes a couple of hours to find them. I retuned a couple of weekends ago and I had to do it again last weekend.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    During a thunderstorm, I sometimes get no reception at all. Some frequencies are worse than others, so I will lose a whole block of channels. Freesat is the most reliable picturewise, although a huge weather system will completely block the signal.
    What size dish and LNB do you use? Also check the dish alignment isn't off a bit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12