+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58
General Chat Thread, i'm giving her all she's got captain. Need to let her RIP. in General; ...
  1. #16

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,375
    Thank Post
    957
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    711
    @Sunnyknight is, as ever, overegging the situation enormously you could build an entirely competent PC - i.e. at least the equal of a PS4/XBone, likely greater - for around £600-£700. It may not be the most ridiculous of ridiculous hyper-threaded turbo-boosted hex-core monstrosities with a seven billion transistor GPU hanging out of its PCI-E slot, but you'd get 80-90% the performance for 50% the price in most games - not that anything over 60fps means a damn on most monitors. You could probably do it for less if you have a Windows licence to hand, a case to put it in, a decent monitor to hook it up to...

    Depends how much you want to spend, really. But they're nothing like as expensive as they were when you made your last machine, looking at your spec.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 7th October 2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: tpying erorrs

  2. #17

    ICTDirect_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ribchester
    Posts
    1,983
    Thank Post
    358
    Thanked 348 Times in 279 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    @Sunnyknight is, as ever, overegging the situation enormously you could build an entirely competent PC - i.e. at least the equal of a PS4/XBone, likely greater - for around £600-£700. It may not be the most ridiculous of ridiculous hyper-threaded turbo-boosted hex-core monstrosities with a seven billion transistor GPU hanging out of its PCI-E slot, but you'd get 80-90% the performance for 50% the price in most games - not that anything over 60fps means a damn on most monitors. You could probably do it for less if you have a Windows licence to hand, a case to put it in, a decent monitor to hook it up to...

    Depends how much you want to spend, really. But they're nothing like as expensive as they were when you made your last machine, looking at your spec.
    Agreed!

    You don't need to break the bank. I've got a very competent system still: Quad Core Athlon, 16GB DDR3, GTX260, Some SSDs and good HDDs, and it runs games no problem. Granted no DX11 but otherwise my machine is a delight and runs most games at near to 60fps

    As for building a new system from scratch. Five minutes on a popular computer site and I have built myself a machine that dwarfs my current rig for just £600. (QC i5, GTX 760 2GB, 8GB 1600MHZ Ram, BluRay, SSD etc)

  3. #18
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 493 Times in 376 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dany2010 View Post
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
    4gb 800mhz ram
    Asus crosshair v1 motherboard
    5400rpm HDD ( 7200 16mb HDD failed )
    Antec 900 case
    700w psu

    Can't remember the graphics now sorry
    I reciently upgraded from a similar spec. Same CPU and RAM. HDD was 7200 and I had my trusty GTX280. I managed DayZ with wverything on low. BF3 24 man maps were the bst I could do. I tried a 64-man and it keeled over and died.

    I went for the upgrade (and still need to replace my GPU). With so many awesome PC games available and coming soo, PC is the only way I wanted to go.

  4. #19

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,570
    Thank Post
    1,652
    Thanked 506 Times in 309 Posts
    Rep Power
    221
    An SSD, extra 4Gb Ram, a new GFX card and thats a good speck PC.

  5. #20

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    628
    Thank Post
    87
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    An SSD, extra 4Gb Ram, a new GFX card and thats a good speck PC.
    I have though of getting a new ssd. Since putting this HDD in it has slowed web loading.

    Also going to try it with windows 8 so Moght as well try one. Not going to loose anything a I still would need to get one. Cant remember which was the best 250gb now. Will do a bit of research again.
    Think it was the Samsung 840 250 (non pro)

  6. #21


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,778
    Thank Post
    262
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by dany2010 View Post
    Can't remember which was the best 250gb now.
    Samsung 840 EVO.

  7. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    628
    Thank Post
    87
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    i'm giving her all she's got captain. Need to let her RIP.

    Looking about £480 for
    I5 4670k
    2x2gb ram (to start)
    Gigabyte z87 mobo
    Samsung ssd 250.

    Graphics card can be for the next month.
    Will have to wait till the end of the month that's my entire bank funds at the min after paying of the car lol.
    Last edited by dany2010; 7th October 2013 at 05:54 PM.

  8. #23

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,047
    Thank Post
    3,579
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Rep Power
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Is the 840 pro better than the 840 Evo or what exactly, looking at IOPS and going from memory I think the 840 Pro was better ?

    The 256gb 840 Pro seems to be pretty good price wise and just a case of getting 2 or more normal hard drives ie 1 or 2 tb in size raided up so you can keep data safe ( whatever raid revision ie 1, 5 etc )

    Graphics card - I presume the GTX 760 is the cheaper better one in comparison to the Titan or even an AMD / ATI gfx card

  9. #24

    ICTDirect_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ribchester
    Posts
    1,983
    Thank Post
    358
    Thanked 348 Times in 279 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    203
    The only thing I'd suggest there would be to go for more RAM from the off

    Otherwise it looks good!

  10. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    628
    Thank Post
    87
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    The only thing I'd suggest there would be to go for more RAM from the off

    Otherwise it looks good!
    Friends just built a new PC with the i5 and a gtx graphics Says it can handle bf4. Still bit laggy apparently in cars so hopefully that's just because it's in beta.

    Got so much stuff I want to buy and not sure which order to get them in over the next year or ten.

    Olight SR96 (ashamed to say I'm on the candlepowerforums )

    Roomba 770 Hoover

    Kawasaki ninja 300 or yahama r6

    New PC

    Ps3

    Shark remap for the car

    Holiday abroad

    So need to win the lottery...

  11. #26


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.403651, -0.515458
    Posts
    9,778
    Thank Post
    262
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Rep Power
    838
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Is the 840 pro better than the 840 Evo
    The 840 Pro is better, but it's not a 250GB SSD. It's 256GB!

    The Evo is also cheaper than the 840 and 840 Pro...

    Code:
    840 (250GB):      £137.99
    840 Evo (250GB):  £133.30
    840 Pro (256GB):  £162.99

  12. #27

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,375
    Thank Post
    957
    Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    711
    Don't bother with the GTX 760 - an AMD 7970 is only £30-£40 more at the moment (selling them off cheap just before they're replaced) and much more powerful, will last you better - particularly with 3GB of VRAM. £228 @ OverClockers Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II TOP 3072MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card **FREE SHIPPING** [90-C1CRM1-U0UAY0BZ] (and now I'm annoyed, that's the card I wanted a month ago but it was £50 more than that at the time so I got a 680)

  13. #28
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,601
    Thank Post
    126
    Thanked 135 Times in 98 Posts
    Rep Power
    100
    Some of us like raw power!

    Trying playing GW2 on max, or bf3 on max in a 64 man map with some of the specs above. I could even say Metro on max, but that'd just be silly xD It just doe' 'appen.

    Will agree with @sonofsanta on the 7970 over the 760 though.

  14. #29

    ICTDirect_Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ribchester
    Posts
    1,983
    Thank Post
    358
    Thanked 348 Times in 279 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    203
    Before you choose a card I'd decide what games you most want to play. For example BF3 is optimised to take full advantage of CUDA & PhysX in the nVidia cards and will perform better because of it.

    The question is do you like @Sunnyknight require everything to function on full spec on the most demanding maps? Or like the rest of us will you be happy being able to blow some heads off strangers without seeing every single pixel of gore splatter across the locale?

    My system sees me fine for Rome2 & Skyrim with the graphics set at max or close to max. I've not had troubles online in a while either.

  15. #30
    Sunnyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Above the clouds and under the core of the earth
    Posts
    1,601
    Thank Post
    126
    Thanked 135 Times in 98 Posts
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTDirect_Dave View Post
    Before you choose a card I'd decide what games you most want to play. For example BF3 is optimised to take full advantage of CUDA & PhysX in the nVidia cards and will perform better because of it.

    The question is do you like @Sunnyknight require everything to function on full spec on the most demanding maps? Or like the rest of us will you be happy being able to blow some heads off strangers without seeing every single pixel of gore splatter across the locale?

    My system sees me fine for Rome2 & Skyrim with the graphics set at max or close to max. I've not had troubles online in a while either.
    I want to see every damn drop splatter onto my screen and around on the floor!!! I get your point, but again, just throwing out my opinion



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone got msn? need somone to help me
    By TornUp in forum Coding
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21st May 2008, 12:06 PM
  2. [Pics] She just couldn't wait to spend that money...
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20th March 2008, 04:06 PM
  3. Anyone got a HP to Netgear VLAN working?
    By ChrisH in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 7th December 2006, 12:14 PM
  4. All i need to know
    By danIT in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14th July 2006, 07:55 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12th September 2005, 11:47 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •