Poll: What do you wear at your school?

+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, Poll: Dress code in General; Shirt, tie, shoes and smart trousers, which I've always worn in 35 years in IT, except at the last school. ...

Thank Post
    Shirt, tie, shoes and smart trousers, which I've always worn in 35 years in IT, except at the last school. We were given black combat trousers and polo shirts embroidered with the school logo. Scruffy, but it meant that we weren't messing up our own clothes crawling around on the floor. I used to work for a credit union in Australia, and they used to have dress down Friday, which is quite common. Here, "dress down" was the official polo shirt or rugby shirt in the winter.

During my last stint in private enterprise I worked for a company that sold DJ equipment. The shop staff wore a shirt with compamy logo, but the rest anything they wanted. I still wore my shirt and tie. At lunch I would go up to the bus station for coffee and they were convinced I worked for National Express and would give me staff discount. Who am I to argue?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wear full suit. Have management responsibility.

In my last job I wore a polo with a school crest and smart trousers. The other techs wore combat style.

To be honest even in my last job I would have been more comfortable in shirt and tie.

I can wear whatever I like during the holidays but I keep a suit on my office.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Named & titled polo shirt, cargo trousers, trainers. Ditto for NM; we're all hands-on and there's little worse than getting on hands and knees or crawling round dusty spaces in a suit!
    Ties should be banished from any situation, they serve no purpose, in our line of work are a safety hazard and should probably stay on a catwalk and out of day-to-day life. An annoyance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I love wearing my ties. Choosing which knot to wear, which tie..
    And it can tuck away easily when needed.

I must admit is awkward sometimes in smart trousers getting under desks, but if I know I have something particularly dusty coming up I wear my most comfortable what trousers.

For me, it's mostly about confidence and how I feel other people perceive me. I have more confidence when I'm in a suit and that helps me in certain situations.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perception can certainly be important - I think a lot of it depends on colleagues; personally I'd be happy if we all wore shirts and t-shirts as long as people recognise the input of each individual and/or team. That's an interesting thought really, I wonder how much difference it makes regarding behaviour generally. (From both other staff and also students). Not that I'd ever change, of course!

Thank Post
    I used to turn up all smart, but when there's only 5 male members of staff out of 80 and the only other guy to wear a suit/tie is the Head you tend to stick out a bit - a look a little preposterous!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    Me in maglement: Suite, with or with out a tie depending on the image I need to project that day.
    Would that be a three-piece suite? Leather perhaps?

8. Thanks to witch from:

john (7th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Would that be a three-piece suite? Leather perhaps?
    Only on the weekend, I'm sure.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As manglement, Shirt, Tie and Work Trousers (Normal ones always seem to get destroyed), and shoes.

Both Techs have Embroidered polo shirts (as do I, but I only wear them during the summer), shoes and sensible trousers/jeans.

Thank Post
    Shirt, trousers and waist coat (Suit). Till I get a new full suit - shiny grey

Thank Post
    I'm a manager and wear the same as my techs.

Shirt embroidered with school logo and 'IT Support', black trousers and smart shoes. Although I'm the manager it's a very 'hands on' position and a suit and tie just would not be practical.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyknight View Post
    Shirt, no tie, smart trousers, shoes

When the kids aren't in, anything we want.
    As above.

I used to wear a tie but I found it too impractical because although strictly speaking I'm "in manglement" (as some have put it) I'm too hands on. Plus a tie is a pointless item of clothing - it keeps nothing up and nothing in!

When required I do wear a suit & tie though.

Thank Post
    Shirt, (wacky, cartoonish) tie, trousers and shoes. A suit would be far too restrictive, although I do wear a suit-type jacket if its cold.

Also: "manglement"... yes. Very yes.
    Last edited by FishCustard; 7th October 2013 at 12:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Degrees View Post
    a tie is a pointless item of clothing - it keeps nothing up and nothing in!
    A tie makes a great emergency hankie. Also, if you are a messy eater, it keeps the front of your shirt clean when you're eating soup. Finally, it's a handy thing for gagging noisy people.

16. Thanks to unixman_again from:

john (7th October 2013)

Thank Post
    I now wear an embroidered polo (with my own company as I'm freelance), work "cargo" style pants and black steel toe cap boots. I have a couple of branded shirts as well for when I need to have a smarter appeal.

Previously at the school I'm in today when I was employed by them, the only ruling (as others have mentioned) was to be presentable and wear clothes suitable to the job in hand, but no jeans. There was an exception to the jeans thing where by cleaners and the site supervisor could wear jeans as they are harder wearing given their job roles, and I did argue that this should extend to myself as well given the amounts of times I was crawling under tables and such. I don't think this ever got changed, so I bought some work wear pants and have been using them (obviously not the same ones, I've replaced and have a couple of pairs! lol) since. They're smart enough for visiting new clients when thrown on with the embroidered shirt, and they're hard wearing enough for when I need to go crawling into small spaces under desks / stages / lofts / etc.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234