+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Somebody left their brain in bed that day.... in General; Or desperately needs one for Christmas: BBC News - Level crossing cyclist in 'nearest miss' with train Stupid idiot!...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries

Somebody left their brain in bed that day....

Or desperately needs one for Christmas:

BBC News - Level crossing cyclist in 'nearest miss' with train

Stupid idiot!

Thank Post
    ..and they let them vote!

Think she's very fortunate that she will be seeing Christmas this year! Assuming that she doesn't try pulling that stunt again tomorrow.

Thank Post
    she may not make it to christmas.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Chances of surviving a train strike in a HGV would be slim, I doubt there would have been much left to pick up when it comes to a cyclist...

Let's hope she has learned the valuable lesson that Network Rail mean it when they say you shouldn't run the risk. Most of the accident reports I have read in the past regarding level crossings have been down to public stupidity instead of infrastructure problems.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,782 Times in 1,202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I particularly like the comedy brow mop after the train has passed.

Idiot.

Thank Post
    Did you notice after her near miss, she decides not to cross the tracks?

One thing I do find interesting is the crossing itself. It has boom arms which block only one lane, like they do in Australia. I thought all crossings in the UK had gates which closed both lanes. All the ones that I've seen do.

Thank Post
    Most of the local ones near me only have a boom blocking the left hand side. The older ones have a gate where a little man runs out to open and close but these are rare.

Thank Post
    A spokesman for British Transport Police (BTP), said: "Our main priority is to make sure the woman involved is alright, and find out exactly what happened.
    I'll tell you happened! She was a $profanity idiot who blatantly ignored the warnings and barriers and thought she could out-pedal a fast moving train...
    Either that or do an ET and fly over the train!
    "But this sort of thing is a criminal offence and people can be charged with failure to obey traffic signs or failure to stop."

Why do I get the feeling this wont happen in this case?

Thank Post
    People shouldn't need a boom arm blocking both sides of the road but in the UK we are modernising them, so everything is blocked, both lanes, pedestrian sections after those two teenage girls ran across (having ignored the warning lights and gone through a gate) and got hit by the train and killed.

Apparently, this is the only way to stop people killign themselves by accidentally doing everything your not meant to do and jumping in front of a train. I believe in the case above because the gate wasn't locked Network Rail had to pay compensation too.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last November when I was down in London on the underground we had a guy in front of us jump down on to the tracks to retrieve a dropped bag - despite me and others telling him he was stupid as the rail is live and he might get hit by a train. Some people just don't think.

Thank Post
    Going back to the 'things that annoy us about other road users' thread, this pretty much sums up the comments regarding Cyclists that pay no attention to road signs or traffic lights. I nearly had a cyclist as a bonnet ornament the other day - he was blithely ignoring the red traffic lights and sailed gamely across the junction I was rightly and correctly turning right at. It was my right of way as determined by the traffic lights, but he decided the red lights on the path he was travelling didn't apply to him. He then had the audacity to turn around and swear and yell at me!

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    TBH if someone is ignorant enough to miss red flashing lights, the noise of an approaching train and/or a barrier even if it is only on the side of the road they are supposed to be on

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Going back to the 'things that annoy us about other road users' thread, this pretty much sums up the comments regarding Cyclists that pay no attention to road signs or traffic lights. I nearly had a cyclist as a bonnet ornament the other day - he was blithely ignoring the red traffic lights and sailed gamely across the junction I was rightly and correctly turning right at. It was my right of way as determined by the traffic lights, but he decided the red lights on the path he was travelling didn't apply to him. He then had the audacity to turn around and swear and yell at me!
    Don't tar all cyclists with the same brush. When I'm out on my bike I obey rights of way, traffic signals and signs. There are plenty of moronic drivers out there too, there have been plenty of times on roundabouts for example where drivers have completely ignored my right of way and pulled out in front of me on roundabouts. It goes both ways.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Generally if a cyclist makes a mistake it is normally them that gets it and effect very few others. When I am cyclist I am to follow the spirit of the highway code I don't look at it legalistically. I have to say that any form of jumping the level crossing is stupid on foot, on a bike, in a car, Bus or HGV.
    Last edited by nicholab; 3rd October 2013 at 12:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    TBH if someone is ignorant enough to miss red flashing lights, the noise of an approaching train and/or a barrier even if it is only on the side of the road they are supposed to be on
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the point about being able to hear an approaching train is that you don't hear it until it's far, far too late!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast