+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Somebody left their brain in bed that day.... in General; Edited due to inappropriate quoted post yes but what about the poor driver they have done nothing to deserve that ...

Thank Post
    Edited due to inappropriate quoted post
    yes but what about the poor driver they have done nothing to deserve that on their conscience i imagine quite a few will never work again (at least in that job) and will probably spend the rest of their lives wondering if there was anything they could of done
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 3rd October 2013 at 01:58 PM.

Thank Post
    If the train had hit her, it would have been blamed on anyone else but the "happy woman, that was friends with everyone"...even though it would have been more a case of natural selection

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    One thing I do find interesting is the crossing itself. It has boom arms which block only one lane, like they do in Australia. I thought all crossings in the UK had gates which closed both lanes. All the ones that I've seen do.
    I think it depends on how the crossing is controlled and monitored. They tend to use the half-barrier gates on automatic crossings where there is a possibility of the gates closing and trapping a vehicle between the gates. If it has somebody manually closing/monitoring the gates (from a nearby signalbox or remotely watching on CCTV) it's more likely to be a full barrier because they can take action if somebody does get stuck.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    Blimey you are hard, aren't you? All of you? We haven't even heard her side of it. OF COURSE she wasnt paying attention and being very stupid, but have you lot NEVER been distracted, thinking about something else, when you should have been concentrating?
    You can't possibly say that a collision wouldnt have been blamed on her - she hasn't spoken yet.
    You are all acting as if she has said that it "wasn't her fault" which just isn't the case

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Blimey you are hard, aren't you? All of you? We haven't even heard her side of it. OF COURSE she wasnt paying attention and being very stupid, but have you lot NEVER been distracted, thinking about something else, when you should have been concentrating?
    You can't possibly say that a collision wouldnt have been blamed on her - she hasn't spoken yet.
    You are all acting as if she has said that it "wasn't her fault" which just isn't the case
    how distracted do you have to be to miss the barriers the flashing light and usually a siren and she had "presence of mind" enough to go on the wrong side of the road. If she had ridden into the barrier then fair enough accident but to go round it thats a choice

Thank Post
    True we have not heard her side of it..but she must have made the decision to move to the wrong side of the road to go around the barrier, which is the far side of the lane to where the normal cycling position in the road is.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,716 Posts
    Yes, I know. She was stupid. But that doesn't mean she deserves to die, neither does it mean that she wouldn't have been blamed if she had.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    how distracted do you have to be to miss the barriers the flashing light and usually a siren and she had "presence of mind" enough to go on the wrong side of the road. If she had ridden into the barrier then fair enough accident but to go round it thats a choice
    You'd be surprised. Take this example: Rail Accident Investigation: Report 01/2013

A cyclist was struck and killed by a train travelling at 56mph. Irrespective of how many warning signs, safety procedures and gates placed in his way, the cyclist failed to adhere to any of them and was distracted by wearing earphones.

1) He ignored warnings at the crossing telling him to dismount (he even opened the gate mounted!).
    2) He was listening to music hindering his awareness and preventing the safety procedure of the train sounding it's horn from working.
    3) He had a hood up limiting peripheral vision to see on-coming trains.
    4) He may have assumed the track was closed due to engineering work (it wasn't, and that doesn't mean all traffic is suspended since engineering trains and diversions may still use the line).

Because the cyclist was distracted and not paying attention, he paid for his actions with his life.

Have a browse through the rest of RAIB and you will be shocked to see some of the incidents that happen. From barrier dodgers to farming vehicles crossing long loads without permission. I'm amazed we don't see more deaths yet Network Rail typically get blamed for "dangerous crossings" because people don't respect how dangerous rail lines are.

Thank Post
    Well done AMLightfoot - I knew somebody would try to turn it into a bl00dy cyclists thread.

Thank Post
    cyclist failed to adhere to any of them and was distracted by wearing earphones
    A pet hate of mine is this. You need your ears to hear whats happening around you whilst on your bike IMO

Thank Post
    Idiot car drivers manage it too. A local publicans son did it by driving around a half barrier OUTSIDE HIS HOME where there had been several incidents in the past. He must have heard the crossing siren every day of his life that they lived in the pub, but he "thought he knew better" and went for it one day... Darwin Award WINNER!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Darwin Award WINNER!
    Ahh the Darwin Awards. Now there's an excellent concept. *busily looks the website up again*

Silly woman on a bike. Stupid? Yes probably, she nearly got herself killed and gave the poor driver a right old scare! Will she do it again? Probably not but then you never know, she was silly enough to try it in the first place...

I just don't get why people would do this? Trains are Big, Very Very Big, there's no excuse for being 'distracted' and missing the crossing. It's beyond me...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Don't tar all cyclists with the same brush. When I'm out on my bike I obey rights of way, traffic signals and signs. There are plenty of moronic drivers out there too, there have been plenty of times on roundabouts for example where drivers have completely ignored my right of way and pulled out in front of me on roundabouts. It goes both ways.
    My point is exactly that. I referred to those cyclists that choose not to adhere to road traffic signals. Not to all cyclists generally. Some do. Many do in fact, and I've noticed that the ones with the propensity to ignore traffic lights etc tend to be the ones that aren't wearing helmets and have no lights or reflective clothing - the ones that are wearing helmets and hi-vis vests and lights and stuff tend to be more responsible and so tend to pay attention to traffic lights. What winds me up is that I've NEVER EVER seen the Police admonish or fine a cyclist for either not wearing appropriate gear or for flouting traffic rules. A car goes through a red light and causes a hazard on a junction or crashes into someone and they get in trouble, a cyclist does it and.... nothing. If anything the driver that the cyclist fouled ends up worse off.

My point is ALL road users regardless of vehicle should adhere to the rules - if a traffic light is red, they should stop (for example). This applies to cyclists as much as it applies to motorbikes, cars, vans, lorries, horses (although as a living animal with its own free will sometimes it is difficult to ensure they stay put), mobility scooters, wingless jumpjets etc. If it's on the road, it is a 'vehicle'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Lol brilliant thread

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12