+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, The end of summer- here comes winter thread in General; Well, it's over, and I have absolutely no complaints here. The bees and butterflies and other wildlife seem to have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 992 Posts
    Blog Entries

The end of summer- here comes winter thread

Well, it's over, and I have absolutely no complaints here. The bees and butterflies and other wildlife seem to have recovered their numbers from the past two disastrous years, the sun shone and the air was warm all the way up to October, but now autumn has arrived it's time to hunker down for the winter (anyone else getting an urge to hibernate?).
    For those of you more fortunate not to live in the UK and our northern climate I'll just have to explain that we essentially had 11 month of autumn/winter from last summer that didn't end until late this May.
    Another thing to make you realise why our weather can be so bad is to look at a map of the Earth and just see how many other countries start at a more northerly latitude than the British Isles (Thanks to @bossman for that one). You'll rather surprised, and shocked!
    So, winter. What do you expect? Cold? Wet? Wet and cold? Cold and snowy? Cold, wet, snowy?
    Or just damp? - We get all kind here in the UK

Thank Post
    we dont get weather in this country just samples from everywhere else from sub zero to +30

3. 2 Thanks to sted:

Dos_Box (2nd October 2013), tmcd35 (2nd October 2013)

Thank Post
    I'd prefer little to no snow, purely because I hate driving in it, however...the car is in the garage now having a full pre-winter safety check, suspension check, new brakes etc, and I've dusted off the winter tyres in readiness.

I just dislike the grey, dark seasons...plays heck with my SAD.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Well, it's over, and I have absolutely no complaints here. The bees and butterflies and other wildlife seem to have recovered their numbers from the past two disastrous years, the sun shone and the air was warm all the way up to October, but now autumn has arrived it's time to hunker down for the winter (anyone else getting an urge to hibernate?).
    For those of you more fortunate not to live in the UK and our northern climate I'll just have to explain that we essentially had 11 month of autumn/winter from last summer that didn't end until late this May.
    Another thing to make you realise why our weather can be so bad is to look at a map of the Earth and just see how many other countries start at a more northerly latitude than the British Isles (Thanks to @bossman for that one). You'll rather surprised, and shocked!
    So, winter. What do you expect? Cold? Wet? Wet and cold? Cold and snowy? Cold, wet, snowy?
    Or just damp? - We get all kind here in the UK
    The weather this year has been excellent. Given that all the time I was growing up, we never had Snow until the last 5 years, I'm sort of hoping we will get some snow around Christmas time, although I can't say I'd be upset if we don't. I personally really enjoy a cold, frosty, but sunny day. I love wrapping up warm and snuggling up under a blanket with LeBoyfriend and the Cat in front of the TV with the fire on. Hot chocolate and marshmallows, tea and toast. It's my favourite time of year.

Thank Post
    Cold and lots of snow will suit me fine. Mild and wet is more likely for the southwest though i feel.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suggest that you try and figure out how many other countries there are in the world that start at a more northerly latitude than the UK.
    First correct answer gets called a smartypants!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    Cold and lots of snow will suit me fine. Mild and wet is more likely for the southwest though i feel.
    I can't say that the idea of a mild winter is such a bad thing - de-icing the car and driving through Snow is my least favourite part...

Thank Post
    The British always complain about the weather in the UK. It should be remembered that we have a brilliant climate compared to many countries at this or even lower latitude. My OH mother lives on the shore of Lake Erie, in winter the lake freezes. What ever cold weather we have it is nothing compared to the cold in Canada. You must also remember that Niagara Falls, which does freeze, is at the same latitude as Marseille. That said, I am no lover of the extremes of weather, having worked in places from the arctic north of Norway to the heat of the Kuwaiti desert and the humidity of central America. Still cannot beat the UK for moderate weather. An ex colleague of mine served in Goose Bay in Labrador Canada. the weather temperature ranged from 40C in summer to -40C in winter, He was lucky doing 18 months with only 1 winter.

Thank Post
    Looking at the Gourds in my garden,I thought it was, err Autumn.

(WARNING - Linked page may contain ... words to be warned about).

Thank Post
    Love driving in snow but then i've owned cars with all wheel drive for years makes it much much more fun

Thank Post
    I'll be interested to see how my animal shed manages...we've turned an 8x6 shed into a "house/hutch replacement" for our rabbits and guinea pigs - as yet, it's not insulated, but rabbits and guinea pigs seem robust - they were outside the last 2 years, so I'm not expecting issues.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suggest that you try and figure out how many other countries there are in the world that start at a more northerly latitude than the UK.
    First correct answer gets called a smartypants!
    Without looking at Googlemaps, I'm gonna hazard a guess at 3 - Scotland, Iceland and possibly Norway.

If I remember rightly Moscow is on the same lattitude as London.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Without looking at Googlemaps, I'm gonna hazard a guess at 3 - Scotland, Iceland and possibly Norway.

If I remember rightly Moscow is on the same lattitude as London.
    You got one
    Remember I said they have to start at a more northerly latitude. And Scotland is part of the UK!

Thank Post
    You got one
    Remember I said they have to start at a more northerly latitude. And Scotland is part of the UK!
    Greenland classed as a country? (was part of Denmark wasn't it?)

Thank Post
    I hate getting up & going to work in the dark.... & coming home in the dark

I would vote for a white Christmas & cold, clear & dry for the rest of the time. What I suspect we will get will be mild, wet & grey most of the time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast