+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Being told that we now have to do lunch duties in General; They cannot make you do this full stop you are not employed for these sort of duties you could volunteer ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,449 Posts
    They cannot make you do this full stop you are not employed for these sort of duties you could volunteer and they could ask you but you would be quite ok to say no and if there were any repercussions because of you saying no that could be classed as workplace bullying.

The any other duties clause that happens to be in everyone's conditions/contracts is any other duties that would fall within the scope of the job you are employed to do but shouldn't be used to add a re-curing workload thus in this instance I would say it would not cover being asked to perform a lunch time duty.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd say it is a poor use of your time, but is a reasonable enough request - unless they're adjusting when you're taking your own lunch to cater for it as working hours require agreement by both parties not just dictated to you.

Thank Post
    If you have Job evaluation/single status in your area and it has you listed as not working directly with children could you ask for a re-evaluation to earn a few more points? That was enough to push me into the next pay grade but I was only a few points away. Might be worth it for 20mins work a week. After all you now have working with children, children under your direct responsibility and so on as part of your job.

EDIT:
    1: Never been told but have been asked with options to say no. Also done bus duty and more but always been a friendly ask not a "you must"
    2: If it’s a real emergency the person telling you about the problem needs to find cover for you or cover you themself. All other jobs get told sorry no you have to wait.
    3: We got put on training like MAPA to deal with fights and Physical Interventions e.c.t. Also first aid trained.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 2nd October 2013 at 09:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StampStudy View Post
    ... I can just imagine starting to fix a serious fault on the system and having to stop so that I can stand in the playground.
    As the Captain of the USS Enterprise once said: "Make it so!"
    They'll soon get the message

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    I've considered volunteering for duties here for the free lunch, but held back because of concerns about the odd time when the excrement has hit the ventilation and I've been in the server room up to my neck in it. I'm not walking away from a broken file server or cluster instability to watch a bus queue.
    I don't see this as any different to having to juggle priorities when you have (say) a meeting booked. I don't think anyone would expect staff to let Rome burn while they do a duty and in the normal course of things, I don't expect Rome to be burning.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,444 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    I don't see this as any different to having to juggle priorities when you have (say) a meeting booked. I don't think anyone would expect staff to let Rome burn while they do a duty and in the normal course of things, I don't expect Rome to be burning.
    In the normal course of things Rome is a cool and pleasant 22 degrees, but one implication of "nice stable system" is "if system has fallen over, it has fallen over hard."

Fair point about the meetings - never had it come up so never considered it. I suppose the out would be to have a nominated immediate backup, a nearby teacher who you can quickly grab/get a message to for cover.

Thank Post
    Thank you for all the responses - my first attempt at asking politely if we can be removed from the list has been denied with various reasons. I am going to stress again why we should not be on the list and then see from there.

Answer to some of the responses:

- This will not cut into our lunch time or allocated 1 hour break as we can take it when we see fit.
    - I do feel this is out of the scope of our jobs for what we have been hired to do
    - I would've been less likely to be so upset by this if it was a choice and maybe asked to help.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Been down this road. Started off covering a library on rota, the next thing I knew I was in there all morning then became the bleedin' librarian. I couldn't cope but spent the next 5 or so years in a miserable position I didn't want any part of. If anyone was to ask me to supervise kids again in such a fashion they'd get a great big no, in fact I was ducking and hiding to make sure my past library experience wasn't brought up when the librarian at my new employer quit.

If you want to cover such an environment at lunch times then you need to know what you are doing. An untrained supervisor isn't a replacement for proper library cover or even a librarian.

Thank Post
    Thank you for all the responses - my first attempt at asking politely if we can be removed from the list has been denied with various reasons. I am going to stress again why we should not be on the list and then see from there.

In that case just say NO

Ben

Thank Post
    Just had a chat to the union and they have stipulated that it is a reasonable request as they do not have other teaching staff to cover these duties at the moment. If I refuse I could be pulled into a disciplinary and not have a legal route to go down as my contract does state they may ask me to perform additional tasks. What I can do is ask for additional training and voice my concerns and as to why I require this training (conflict resolution, child protection etc) and list why I am not comfortable in performing the requested duty so that I cover myself.

All in all I will suggest a compromise to get a selected duty and make sure that this is only until there are more teaching staff to cover.

Again thank you for all the responses. Another item to add to the list of "Jobs the IT staff perform"

Thank Post
    What I can do is ask for additional training and voice my concerns and as to why I require this training (conflict resolution, child protection etc) and list why I am not comfortable in performing the requested duty so that I cover myself.
    Insist on this enough and they might just pick other people to make it easier

Thank Post
    Additional duties have to be inline with what you are employed to do which is look after the IT, your union is rubbish which one is it?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    your union is rubbish which one is it?
    Most unions are rubbish when it comes to support staff.

Thank Post
    I was asked to do this years ago. Bit my tongue and headed out in the cold. It didn't take long for the teachers to realise that its usually break time that they like to grab me because something doesnt work and they need it for the next lesson. For the short time it lasted it was a royal pain as I had to pack up tools to go outside.

Thank Post
    I personally would run a scheduled task 2 minutes into your duty to break something, every time your on duty, run the task.

16. Thanks to CHR1S from:

plexer (2nd October 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast