+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Computers for Schools Scheme, anyone running this yet? in General; Is there anyone running the 'Computers for Schools Scheme' yet? We are to get 327 laptops to be sent home ...

Thank Post

Computers for Schools Scheme, anyone running this yet?

Is there anyone running the 'Computers for Schools Scheme' yet? We are to get 327 laptops to be sent home to less fortunate families and to give thema broadband internet connection.
    Just interested is anyone up and runnin'? If so who is looking after the laptop repairs / broadband connection prob's when there is a problem?

Thank Post

Re: Computers for Schools Scheme, anyone running this yet?

I mean the 'Computers for Pupils scheme' Sorry!!

Thank Post

LEA provided Thin Client solution here.

All I would say is that you should take a look at your Job Description if you're being expected to provide support for home based equipment.

Thank Post

I've issued about 65 of the 89 laptops we got so far. As I understand it, theft or accidental damage is our job to deal with through insurers. Faults/setup issues should be dealt with by the supported service provider, XMA in our case though they still want to deal with school rather than student.
    I was told once the laptops were out of my hands then not my problem but unfortunately hasn't been the case.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries

My new job are doing it. next week they have 62 laptops coming..

Thank Post

We were entitled to 117, only about 20 eligible and interested.

Made sure from the outset that all support comes from the suppliers. We have nothing to do with them at all :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries

We do a "Limited Support" and show them how to work them. There is a grey area of how much support we give. Were do I draw the line? What support do others give please?

Thanks
    Z

Thank Post

We had a total of approx 900 laptops issues to all years groups, in our experience this has been a nightmare, we have about 10 back every day. Mainly down to family members who have been browsing naughty things online and when realised the kids were bringing them to school the next day, they tried to delete the evidence, which meant the laptops just got re-ghosted. We have had the police etc involved on some occassions, however mainly its just kids installing dodgy software and getting viruses etc.

With regards to the technical support, we currently have to deal with it, however there is talk of having the 6th formers trying to study ICT operating support clinics 3 nights of the week, however this does pose security risks, as most of the laptops get ghosted and sent back out which would require some config, IE with admin passwords and ghost licensed disks in the open. Plus half the parents tried putting the laptops on eBay and claiming on the insurance!

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acrobson
    We had a total of approx 900 laptops issues to all years groups, in our experience this has been a nightmare, we have about 10 back every day. Mainly down to family members who have been browsing naughty things online and when realised the kids were bringing them to school the next day, they tried to delete the evidence, which meant the laptops just got re-ghosted. We have had the police etc involved on some occassions, however mainly its just kids installing dodgy software and getting viruses etc.

With regards to the technical support, we currently have to deal with it, however there is talk of having the 6th formers trying to study ICT operating support clinics 3 nights of the week, however this does pose security risks, as most of the laptops get ghosted and sent back out which would require some config, IE with admin passwords and ghost licensed disks in the open. Plus half the parents tried putting the laptops on eBay and claiming on the insurance!
    WTF! Really?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    Quote Originally Posted by acrobson

WTF! Really?
    Yes sir, welcome to my world! I advise leaving this project for a good while until it becomes alot more established (like VISTA!), with policies in place and guidelines etc. School leaders love this project, it's a shame that they don't consult with those on the front line!

Thank Post

Anybody here from coventry and been involved/seen cutter/european electronique's sun thin client rig up?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The user 'linescanner' on these forums is a representative of the cutter project. I suggest you PM him.

Thank Post

This whole sceme seems to have gone off half cocked with no one actually taking time to set it up properly! I for one am dreading the arrival of the laptops. Most of them will be on sale in the local pub the week after.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by kylewilliamson
    Anybody here from coventry and been involved/seen cutter/european electronique's sun thin client rig up?
    I've seen the setup working at Sun MicroSystems office on Warwick University Science Park, but I know for a fact that our list of pupils hasn't been handed to Redstone to provide the ADSL line in the home.

2 of my schools have recently been given laptops (15 each) to go home to pupils. They will be receiving Broadband via WiMAX.

Have been told that the laptops must have AV / Web filtering / Deep Freeze / Plus usual software. The cost of this has to be met by the school.

Anyone here got any recommendations of good stand alone web filtering software?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast