+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, CTRL+ALT+DEL in General; BBC News - Gates calls Ctrl+Alt+Del command a mistake What do you think? I think a single button would have ...

Thank Post

CTRL+ALT+DEL

BBC News - Gates calls Ctrl+Alt+Del command a mistake

What do you think? I think a single button would have been a mistake as you can easily catch it accidentally. How many people have caught the 'Sleep' button numerous times on those keyboards that have them?

Thank Post
    It would make login onto computer\laptops quicker but people have been using Ctrl+Alt+Del for awhile so I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey-gear View Post
    It would make login onto computer\laptops quicker but people have been using Ctrl+Alt+Del for awhile so I don't think it will make much of a difference.
    you know you can gpo disable it for logons?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    you know you can gpo disable it for logons?
    I know I just like walking around IT classrooms and seeing "press Ctrl + Alt + Del to logon", I think it makes it look neat (I'm starting to think that that may be a bit weird).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't get the Ctrl + Alt + Del why can't we just have a logon like windows 2K? Vista user profile service is rubbish.

Thank Post
    Originally the ctrl key was in a different place, being where the caps lock key was. I think the combination was chosen as it was hard to hit. As we had to do it so often, the ctrl key was moved next to the alt key (there was no windows key then), so the three finger salute became a two finger salute. The windows key was introduced between the ctrl and alt to return to three fingers. Around 1990 we had a keyboard which had a ctrl/alt/del key. I don't know if it was tricked up by one of the engineers or if it was sold like that. I have only ever seen one.

Back in my big iron days, on DOS/VS the break key was used similar to the ctrl/alt/del and on keyboards without a numeric keypad (most of the ones I used didn't have one), break was just above the back space and it was very easy to hit with dire consequences.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    I don't get the Ctrl + Alt + Del why can't we just have a logon like windows 2K? Vista user profile service is rubbish.
    Windows 2000 had a "Press CTRL+ALT+DEL" screen as well. In fact I'm pretty sure every version of NT has.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't mind a button top right or even by the windows button... would have saved a long time in my life!

Thank Post
    Ctrl alt & Del is deployed here, because then they have to click ok which means they agree to our code of conduct. No-one reads it but there's no comeback then and we cover our backs.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It wouldn't save any time, it'd have the opposite effect by triggering accidentally and having to redo work after waiting for the computer to restart.

The entire purpose of CTRL+ALT+DEL was initially computer restarts and still works during boot. You really didn't want to trigger this by accident and lose your work so it was deliberately made a two-handed action. Even Linux has a variant in the form of CTRL+ALT+Backspace to restart X Server which you don't want to do by accident either.

Microsoft later modified it so you press CTRL+ALT+DEL once for Task Manager and a second time for a restart. This caused unwanted restarts if Task Manager was slow and you pressed it twice. It was also used by NT systems for login because only the OS could interpret CTRL+ALT+DEL and would reveal a fake login window. I'm not entirely sure why they did this since if the machine had a fake login screen it was as good as compromised anyway and now it is just an extra button press. :/

I've also noticed the Break key slowly disappearing from keyboards. Yesterday I went to do WinKey+Break to bring up My Computer properties and the damned key was missing! Scroll Lock has been disappearing too but TBH I have never seen a use for it yet. Does anyone ever need to pause command line output anymore? Does it even work in CMD/Powershell?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I've also noticed the Break key slowly disappearing from keyboards. Yesterday I went to do WinKey+Break to bring up My Computer properties and the damned key was missing! Scroll Lock has been disappearing too but TBH I have never seen a use for it yet. Does anyone ever need to pause command line output anymore? Does it even work in CMD/Powershell?
    so has the alternate windows key (that works like the right mouse button) the and pause are damned handy at times

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Scroll Lock has been disappearing too but TBH I have never seen a use for it yet
    I can tell you the only use I have found for it (it's actually quite useful): if you use the arrow keys to navigate in Excel with Scroll Lock on, the sheet scrolls without changing cell - handy if you need to quickly check a figure elsewhere on the sheet in the middle of writing a formula (although you can of course just use the mouse)

13. 2 Thanks to LosOjos:

CAM (27th September 2013), mac_shinobi (27th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's such satisfaction in Ctrl-Alt-Del though, hold down Ctrl-Alt then mash Del, or even better, lock a computer by doing that then SLAMMING enter

We used to have Ctrl-Alt-Del for logon disabled, but students kept filling the username box with spaces then hitting Home, so you couldn't see they were there. I got sick of walking over to languages and clearing them out, so we now require Ctrl-Alt-Del again as it stops that prank dead.

Ctrl + Break is useful when you're mid-ping for getting interim results without breaking the chain of pings (if you used /t). I tend to use it when I have a ping window sat scrolling on my second screen, waiting for a server to come back up; after a while, the screen fills and you can't see movement anymore, so I Ctrl+Break to break up the lines of "Timed out" and let me see movement out the corner of my eye.

Thank Post
    I don't think its needed. Being able to put the school logo/badge to click on to sign in would be better imo or an image for home computers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolTech View Post
    I don't think its needed. Being able to put the school logo/badge to click on to sign in would be better imo or an image for home computers.
    win8 does that press owt and the screen goes up revealing the logon box

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast