+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Volvo clocks up 3 million miles in General; Not sure if I believe this one: 1966 Volvo Clocks Up Its Three Millionth Mile I wonder if it might ...

Thank Post

Volvo clocks up 3 million miles

Not sure if I believe this one:

1966 Volvo Clocks Up Its Three Millionth Mile

I wonder if it might be like Triggers Broom from Only Fools!

Only Fools and Horses: The Truth Behind Trigger's Broom...

Thank Post
    Can't watch the vid here but that's got to have eaten at least a new head at some point, not to mention a few camshafts and probably every gasket changed at least twice.

And must be rusting to hell now.

Block could well be original though. A mechanic friend of mine once claimed he worked on an ancient Volvo estate (I forget what) that had done two million on the same block, so I GUESS it's possible. Back in Sweden they're apparently known for their bulletproof dependability. My ex's father once said "Volvos never run very well, but they never run very well forever."

Thank Post
    All of it at under 30mph in a 60 limit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine drives a volvo truck, and has done close to a million miles in 8 years with it (he drives across the USA). It is certainly feasible that a car could do it as volvo engines were built to last!

Thank Post
    I have seen but can't find similar stories for Mercedes. One point that I have seen made is that it's running the engine from cold that causes most wear; vehicles which work all day and every day, with a new driver taking over as the first goes off shift, do very well. There was also a Land Rover ad of long ago - farmer leaning on very elderly Series 1, saying "I'm not going to buy a new one. This one still works," or words to that effect.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscbrah View Post
    Can't watch the vid here but that's got to have eaten at least a new head at some point, not to mention a few camshafts and probably every gasket changed at least twice.

And must be rusting to hell now.

Block could well be original though. A mechanic friend of mine once claimed he worked on an ancient Volvo estate (I forget what) that had done two million on the same block, so I GUESS it's possible. Back in Sweden they're apparently known for their bulletproof dependability. My ex's father once said "Volvos never run very well, but they never run very well forever."
    Why heads and camshaft? Depends on the care it's received I'd say. I had a Renault that had hit 300,000 miles a long time ago - you knew it from the interior and the running gear..but the engine and autobox, sweet as a nut. Ex-Taxi..heh. Rarely got a rest in it's life I suspect. I managed to kill it by doing an emergency stop - the front suspension collapsed and the sump hit the road with the weight of the shell behind it. It was an interesting noise..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketlane View Post
    I have seen but can't find similar stories for Mercedes.
    2,858,307 miles for a 240D in Greece Car longevity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It might not have much rust either seeing as how the Greek weather is much better than here in Blighty. I grew up in Australia and Dad kept his cars usually for 10+ years and there wasn't any rust on them, unlike my 3 year old car hear - damn salt!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread