+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Welcome to the Cloud where your Data is safe! in General; Nirvanix Closing Down, Gives Two Weeks Well that showed them!...

Thank Post

Welcome to the Cloud where your Data is safe!

Thank Post
    This is why if I did go cloud I go to a company like Google which is still raking in the money. It does show the risk of going cloud, so many companies are providing this service but just how many of them are going to be around in 5 years time. I am sure though that some very pro cloud and anti everything else person will be quick to turn around that maybe this only effects about 2 users across the globe.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    This is why if I did go cloud I go to a company like Google which is still raking in the money. It does show the risk of going cloud, so many companies are providing this service but just how many of them are going to be around in 5 years time. I am sure though that some very pro cloud and anti everything else person will be quick to turn around that maybe this only effects about 2 users across the globe.
    They're no fly-by-night operation:

vendors such as Dell, HP, Riverbed, Symantec, and TwinStrata have sourced their cloud storage from Nirvanix when offering their own services

Thank Post
    OUCH! That makes it much worse....

I guess Google/Microsoft is the only reliable way to go?

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Even then Microsoft have been going down a bizarre and not-so-stable road with Win 8 and XBOne controversy. And Google is stable but morphing into a somewhat questionable company a bit like MS in their old days.

Thank Post
    local SAN, local SAN, local SAN....

Thank Post
    This is exactly why you have to approach cloud with both eyes open and not get taken in by the marketing hype. Only put up there what you can bring back in-house should the need arise as one day the price can shoot up or the company can drop you like a sack of spuds as this story shows.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    This is exactly why you have to approach cloud with both eyes open and not get taken in by the marketing hype. Only put up there what you can bring back in-house should the need arise as one day the price can shoot up or the company can drop you like a sack of spuds as this story shows.
    So glad I'm not alone in my sceptical view of the cloud!

Thank Post
    According to the realsmart guy Google is the best thing since sliced bread and vanilla networks are a waste of space. Almost fell out with the guy with his your system is crap attitude. I thought salesmans were bad but they had already got us signed up. According to him you can scrap your email system just like that (even though we have biometrics, printers, cashless catering all tied in to our AD/Email).

The deputy head could see I was biting my lip, I hope the next realsmart guy who comes down isn't the same one otherwise we may come to blows. Train us on your product not telling me I need to scrap a 3rd of my system.

Thank Post
    So, my friend decided he needed a new PC as his old one was in trouble overheating CPU Fans running full speed etc..

Went to PC World came back with a shiny new Win 8 Desktop.
    Firstly his Sage 2012 Application would not install, as he has no SageCover they didn't want to help him eventually they gave in and an engineer remoted in for and hour and made it work.
    Then he needed MS Office so Off to Microsoft and decided on an MS O365 Pro Plus subscription with locally installed 2013 and Cloud Email.

I took care of the Domain stuff MX records etc and got his Exchange Sync working and migration for him.

Then he finds Sage decided that MS Office is not installed..

Another call to Sage they tell him that O365 is not supported on any version of Sage so all of his automated emails and Sales Orders by PDF have stopped working!

Another call to Sage to explain that the version of Office was locally installed on he PC and there should be no issues got a revised diagnosis to say that no Sage product is compatible with O365 Cloud services but local Office 2013 was only supported in Sage 2014..

It will cost a further 650 to upgrade to Sage 2014 even though he has only had Sage 2012 for 18 Months.

So a new PC 400, Office and Exchange Cloud based install 150 PA both requiring a Line of Business Application upgrade for another 650

Another migrate to Cloud success story!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    So glad I'm not alone in my sceptical view of the cloud!
    I think you have to be a bit sceptical with a lot of the offerings out there in the IT world, so much is sold as the solution to everything but rarely lives up to the hype once you really dig into the detail. The cloud does have its uses, spam filtering is a good one that saves your time, energy and bandwidth for less cost than running internally. Student email works well as a commodity service where internal IT can't realistically give 25GB+ per user but with the caveat of limited backup \ archiving. Was also impressed with Lync Online and the time \ effort it saves having a hosted version for quick and easy web conferencing.

We're looking at shifting staff email onto 365 but with our own archiving product as 40k+ per year for full compliance is just silly. Likewise anyone who puts their entire infrastructure cloud based with no failback option is putting themselves in a risky position (imo) As usual a sensible blend of services works the best, it's the thin vs thick client debate all over again

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Hmm this reminds me so much of Link

Cloud is a brilliant thing - as much of a plan to migrate data into it, you always need a plan to migrate data out, even if at short notice!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread