+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, BBC News: 'Online tests to replace paper exams within a decade' in General; BBC News - 'Online tests to replace paper exams within a decade' Failing, as ever, to take into account the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries

BBC News: 'Online tests to replace paper exams within a decade'

BBC News - 'Online tests to replace paper exams within a decade'

Failing, as ever, to take into account the fact that it is impossible to have 350 students sitting at a computer under supervision all at the same time, as we'd need when the whole Year 11 and Year 13 cohort have an exam at the same time (as is due to happen this coming summer, I believe - RE and General Studies, or something like that). To do that here we'd be kicking people out of offices to use their computer, and probably need around 150 invigilators as a result.

Pie in the sky, much?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's clever of them. Just thinking of the hassle of setting up the requirements for 60 GCSE photography students was bad enough.

Suites aren't really any good - as the spacing doesn't match the rules in my experience.

Thank Post
    Perhaps we need to change the environment entirely - maybe ALL classrooms should be IT suites. I'd LOVE to see the budget on that one though! LOL

Thank Post
    Give me the money to have a 1:1 ratio of pupils to computers and I will happily set them up...but...

...we will needs loads of extra wall sockets to power them, and the money to pay for that power, and more classroom space to house them...

...unless we supply tablets for all...again...give me the money and we will do it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    Perhaps we need to change the environment entirely - maybe ALL classrooms should be IT suites. I'd LOVE to see the budget on that one though! LOL
    Nah, they're just assuming we've all got 1-to-1 iPads.

Setup the hall for the exam, use the force iPad exam app instead of a paper exam.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    Nah, they're just assuming we've all got 1-to-1 iPads.

Setup the hall for the exam, use the force iPad exam app instead of a paper exam.
    I'd love to see the kids all do essay questions on ipads.

7. Thanks to localzuk from:

SovietRussia (20th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'd love to see the kids all do essay questions on ipads.
    Instant A+ if the iPad is still intact at the end of the exam [and you've written something substantial. ]

Thank Post
    I don't think tablet devices are feasible because the keyboards and typing options are not suitable for essay writing. Thin clients on the other hand...

Thank Post
    Then they'll make it cloud-based and all use Chromebooks... :P

Thank Post
    whatever it is they will all need mains power just in case so just think of having to give a room 100+ power sockets and possibly the same network sockets to be used for a few weeks a year And someone will have to test each of them before every exam

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Then they'll make it cloud-based and all use Chromebooks... :P
    Garunteed if that happened, there'd be at least one school lacking the infrastructure for it.

And they wouldn't realise until halfway through the first exam.

Thank Post
    You wouldn't need that - and it's perfectly do-able.

I work for a certain exam provider that has several testing centers across the UK, and we run several theory tests as well as IT tests, medical tests, etc.

Our test centers run anywhere between 5-30 machines, with CCTV in the exam rooms, and 3 invigilators. The PC's are locked down during the test and it makes it near impossible to exit the test without an invigilator there.

The other test centers run in a similar fashion - depending on the test they'll have either CCTV or just invigilators walking the floor.

It could easily run off a workgroup or a server scenario - depending on the environment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by happymeal View Post

I work for a certain exam provider that has several testing centers across the UK, and we run several theory tests as well as IT tests, medical tests, etc.

Our test centers run anywhere between 5-30 machines, with CCTV in the exam rooms, and 3 invigilators. The PC's are locked down during the test and it makes it near impossible to exit the test without an invigilator there.

The other test centers run in a similar fashion - depending on the test they'll have either CCTV or just invigilators walking the floor.

It could easily run off a workgroup or a server scenario - depending on the environment.
    Oh it can be done - I did exams on a computer for my A-Level, for certain Maths modules - but saying that all exams will be computer based, when some of those exams are taken by 180 kids (or more) at the same time, is an unworkable scenario. Even more so when another year group is taking a compulsory exam at the same time. Either you turf everyone out of every computer room in school, or you build an infrastructure that sits largely unused for 49 weeks of the year just to run exams for three weeks on computers, thereby solving a problem that didn't exist when you just did it on paper at a desk.

Reminds me a bit of controlled assessments. No access to work out of scheduled lessons, no access to pre-prepared materials, and no internet access? Bit of a faff on a computer. What's the easiest way? A4 and a biro

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Our test centers run anywhere between 5-30 machines
    We average 250 students in Y11, assuming they go by the same rules as current they'd all have to sit at the same time (so they can't walk out of the exam and tell their mates the answers).

What happens if the network (internal or external) goes down? It has been known to happen... entire country has to resit the exam?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Yes 30 machines not 300 or even 100.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast