+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Learning about cloud computing in General; So im looking at getting about more familiar with all this cloud computing, it a good opportunity to get a ...

Thank Post

Learning about cloud computing

So im looking at getting about more familiar with all this cloud computing, it a good opportunity to get a bit more Linux knowledge under my belt. All the magazines and online stuff I have read seem to be recommending Amazons EC2 platform, reading through it though and all the pricing I felt like id just been labotomised, its soooo complicated and the site is just not very clear.

I have also had a look at Microsofts Azure, whch seem alot better websites very clean and clear and pricing is clear.

only issue I have is how industry standard is the Microsoft solution compared to the Amazon solution?

are there any other on here that use cloud computing for personal use?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    are there any other on here that use cloud computing for personal use?
    I've set up my own OpenStack server to have a tinker with, which might be an option for you if you have a bit of hardware spare. RackSpace are the main company supporting OpenStack if you want to just get a virtual instance to do something with. You could also look at Eucalyptus if you want your own locally-installed Amazon-compatible cloud service, although I think it took a bit more hardware than OpenStack (I have OpenStack running on a single Intel Nuc).

Google also provide assorted "cloud" services, but more from the point of view of somewhere to directly run applications written for cloud arcitecture rather than virtual OS instances which you manage yourself.

Thank Post
    Amazon do a free use tier which has enough hours included to get an EC2 machine powered up for a year. I used it for a year and turned mine off for the last time last month - it was great but I don't need EC2 enough to pay for it atm.

Try Cloud Computing Free with AWS Free Tier

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread