+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, CCNA - Is it worth it? in General; Hi Boys and Girls.. I'm looking into doing a CCNA course but will it actually help me in future employment? ...
    GTX

Thank Post

CCNA - Is it worth it?

Hi Boys and Girls..

I'm looking into doing a CCNA course but will it actually help me in future employment? I know its a well known qualification but i don't want to be wasting money on a course that wont help me later in life.

Anyone got any experiences or even advise me on a better course for the same price?

Iv found a place in my local area that are doing it for 900 on evenings till July.

Any advice would be great.

Thank Post
    It's a gr8 foundation for any networking job, most of the course is theory on general networking.

But what is your career intentions?

Rob

3. Thanks to twin--turbo from:

GTX (18th September 2013)

GTX

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm mainly a build it and install it kinda tech. I use to work at a Uni as first line support but sadly my contract ended. Now I'm doing IT in a whole for a mid sized local company. Id love to get back into IT tech in a school or college but my quals are letting me down. I dont want to focus on Networking but i think it will get my foot in the door for a educational job.

Thank Post
    Totally agree with twin-turbo. Great foundation for pretty much any IT role, I think it would definately help your career prospects.

6. Thanks to RobD from:

GTX (18th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Yeah I'm doing one now, though very recently put on hold to get a foundation Linux qualification.

You learn tons and it's very interesting really! Lots of 'penny drop' moments where you go "oh that's how that works!"

Thank Post
    If you are interested, I recommend Chris Bryant's training videos along with Cisco Packet Tracer to produce the labs!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    If you are interested, I recommend Chris Bryant's training videos along with Cisco Packet Tracer to produce the labs!!
    Ebay for old equipment

Thank Post
    I did CCNA, had a full racks worth of kit in the loft to practice physically on. Its a great foundation for learning networking, and how to manage/build networks. I'd also do Microsoft aswell if you get the chance.

Thank Post
    As said its a good foundation. But the biggest plus is the knowledge lasts a long time. I did mine 7 years ago, and at the time the course was very old (ATM, frame relay, ISDN etc), yet the vast majority of what I learnt is very much relevant now, and will be into the next decade at least. Compare that to a MS for example and I can't see server 2000 knowledge being massively useful now.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 20th September 2013 at 09:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GTX View Post
    Hi Boys and Girls..

I'm looking into doing a CCNA course but will it actually help me in future employment? I know its a well known qualification but i don't want to be wasting money on a course that wont help me later in life.

Anyone got any experiences or even advise me on a better course for the same price?

Iv found a place in my local area that are doing it for 900 on evenings till July.

Any advice would be great.
    yes definitely do it. I'd employ someone with this qualification and a passion for networking over someone with just a degree any day.

Dave

Thank Post
    Grab the testout training at educational discount and do it, if you don't fancy it much then complete the course and don't worry about the exam.

Thank Post
    If you are buying anything on ebay, books, equipment etc do check its applicable to the new/current CCNA course (200-120 or split 100-101/200-101 exams) as it changed quite significantly in June/July and the last opportunity to qualify for the old/current (640-802 or split 640-822/640-816) is the end of this month.
    I found the course incl end of book exams to be quite easy (averaging 90-95% per book/module, but the final exam to be very tough - waiting 4 weeks for the exam voucher to come through and not studying during this time was, for me, a mistake. I am glad that I took the course and took the exam and has helped me a great deal especially when it comes to understanding wireshark captures, subnetting, layer 2 vs layer 3 etc.

Thank Post
    Passed it today!! Wooo!!! Just nipped in there while it was still the 640-802. Would fully recommend doing the course and getting the qualification as it has been very helpful with work. As @itwasntme says above though, the final exam was a lot harder than the module ones

Thank Post
    Awesome well done! Want a job? I need a new network / support engineer and we are in Leeds!

Thank Post
    not sure If I will actually bother with the exam.

I have full hands on knowledge with Everything from A 1760 Router to a 4507 and ASA5520 and fixed config Catalyst Switches, and with Communications manager 6.x 7.x including the Voice gateways on 28xx's ..

But to get a job in the field I may need to tick the exam box.

Not that there are any Cisco Jobs round here anyway

Rob

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast