+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Job Decision in General; No question, make the move. School ICT support is a dead-end as far as careers are concerned with no prospect ...

Thank Post
    No question, make the move. School ICT support is a dead-end as far as careers are concerned with no prospect of progression beyond network manager (which we all know is not well paid for what is required). I took my current position as a network manager at the end of my working life on <40% my salary in industry , knowing it wouldn't lead me anywhere as far as a career was concerned, but it would give me far greater job satisfaction for my remaining years at work. I lost money but gained regular hours, no travelling & no living out of suitcases.

You can always return to work in schools later, after your family has flown the nest & your financial commitments allow you to take the hit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superatticman View Post
    Doesn't sound like he's a Network Manager. Sounds more like an ICT Services Delivery Management role?
    The job title is largely irrelevant thats the role lots of people are in in schools in that sort of pay.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Decision View Post
    The dilemma is what do I do: carry on in a job which I really enjoy but is short of paying the bills (let alone having anything extra), or take something back in the commercial sector that's going to be dull yet leave me with something extra? Hopefully some will empathise with this, if you enjoy working in a school.
    I empathise! I'm relatively well paid compared to many here, but compared to my salary before working in a school, it's a big drop. But I hated my old better paid job and I love the job I do now. Luckily I stuck that out long enough that I can now reasonably afford to pay the bills and live relatively comfortably.

I think if I was in your position, I would bite the bullet and go for the pay rise. As Witch says, you might enjoy the job anyway. If you don't, you can move on every few years - which is the best way to increase your pay and hopefully, in the end you can either find another job you like which is paid well or you can afford to take a pay cut to get the job you want.

One perspective I get from Edugeek is that not everyone working in a school loves their job. Also worth remembering is that people outside of schools do have jobs that they enjoy; it is possible to have your cake *and* eat it but sans luck, you do need to take some risks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    One perspective I get from Edugeek is that not everyone working in a school loves their job. Also worth remembering is that people outside of schools do have jobs that they enjoy; it is possible to have your cake *and* eat it but sans luck, you do need to take some risks.
    What gave you that idea, grr mumble mumble hate my job where's the rope, I'm sure it isn't true!!!!!

Ben

Thank Post
    I love the actual job I do what I do hate is the politics, backstabbing, the rank unprofessionalism shown at times from them further up the food chain. People who have no idea how to treat members of their staff. Quite frankly I have never worked in a place like it.

6. 2 Thanks to ButterflyMoon:

plexer (18th September 2013), witch (18th September 2013)

Thank Post
    I was in a similar place to the OP and left due to not being paid enough and being very undervalued. I left for a non specific IT role for about 5K more. The job was much less responsibility and less knowledge of IT and while I didn't enjoy it as much, it was good enough to know I made the right choice in leaving as it allowed me to do things outside of work that I couldn't before. From there however, I left for what I thought was a full time tech position and I ended up struggling to get up in the morning as it wasn't a very enjoyable job. When I left my wife told me she was glad I was leaving that job as I was not very nice to live with at times because the fact that I didn't like the job meant I carried that over at home. I am now in a different IT job and am very satisfied and on money that is double what I was on in the school 5 years ago.

The sad state is that even if they offer you more money it is only likely to be a small increase and will that be enough for you to do what you would like with your life outside of work? What is more likely is getting a job elsewhere is more likely to get bigger increases and result in a better lifestyle for you but you take the risk of moving into a job that does not make you happy. As others have said not everyone loves their job, but being unhappy in your job can have a huge impact on how happy you are at home if you can't leave work at the door when you leave. I took the risk and although I had a tough 18 months at home I'm glad I made the decision to leave as I have been to get on the property ladder get married and start a family. That is something I could never have afforded to do if I stayed at the school I was in.

Thank Post
    If yours is a state community school, there may be a way forward through having your job re-evaluated under Single Status if your county has implemented it. Feel free to PM me for more details if you like, as I have oodles of resources on this and, having gone through it myself, my salary did go up and they don't have a choice about your pay if you can prove you're doing everything required by a higher-paid job spec in the structure. It's then possible for other local NMs to band together as a consortium to get it as well.

Thank Post
    Personally I'd say onwards and upwards. You may enjoy a new job just as much as your current one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyMoon View Post
    I love the actual job I do what I do hate is the politics, backstabbing, the rank unprofessionalism shown at times from them further up the food chain. People who have no idea how to treat members of their staff. Quite frankly I have never worked in a place like it.
    I think there must be a time/space rift between us and we're actually both working in the same school at the same time

Ben

11. Thanks to plexer from:

ButterflyMoon (18th September 2013)

Thank Post
    plexer you just made me smile out loud if that is possible lol

13. Thanks to ButterflyMoon from:

plexer (18th September 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12