+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, umpc to die for in General; Look what i just got oqo e2 It arrived the only bad thing i can see is that it come ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

umpc to die for

Look what i just got oqo e2 It arrived the only bad thing i can see is that it come with vista. But on the plus side easy to use and bought the dock for it to. It is wicked want to know more have a look here http://www.oqo.com/intl/products/index.html Oh and the cost ahm a mear £1500 (dont tell the mrs) its my early xmas pressy. lol well i did need it.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: umpc to die for

Yikes my wife would kill me if I did that. She'd torture me to find out how much it was :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Nokia FTW!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I was looking at the nokia but for some reason i kept being told not aval in uk so i just gave up but it does look like a nice bit of kit. (I love nokia) just got my umpc working with my n95 3g it is well cool.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

looks like a nice piece of kit. Slightly out of my price range though!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by alonebfg
    Look what i just got oqo e2 It arrived the only bad thing i can see is that it come with vista. But on the plus side easy to use and bought the dock for it to. It is wicked want to know more have a look here http://www.oqo.com/intl/products/index.html Oh and the cost ahm a mear £1500 (dont tell the mrs) its my early xmas pressy. lol well i did need it.
    Nobody should be paying anywhere near that kind of money for any kind of pc, laptop or umpc these days. Particularly when the Nokia N810 seems like a much more practical product. And no doubt a great deal cheaper. UMPC's are pants, even the OQO2, which is a commendable attempt and probably the best of a sorry bunch falls short in a number of areas but most of all on price.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

Isn't the N810 ARM based though? Whereas the oqo o2 is x86? This is the difference in price as far as it goes for me. The amount of software for x86 is much greater than that available for ARM. I think that the o2 is worth probably £1000, but nothing less than that.

And also, it is very easy to buy a computer for that - it'd be a beefy machine, but £1500 is easy to hit when buying a new box.

Just because you don't have a use for a UMPC, some people do. A UMPC would be ideal for a network techie - low weight to carry round, touch screen for quick use or a pull out keyboard for a bit of terminal use if needed. Compared to a laptop coming in at twice the size, with the need to find something to rest it on for any form of use? The UMPC wins hands down.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Isn't the N810 ARM based though? Whereas the oqo o2 is x86? This is the difference in price as far as it goes for me. The amount of software for x86 is much greater than that available for ARM.
    its just a windows vs linux debate. theres plenty of linux aps that run fine on arm.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Isn't the N810 ARM based though? Whereas the oqo o2 is x86? This is the difference in price as far as it goes for me. The amount of software for x86 is much greater than that available for ARM. I think that the o2 is worth probably £1000, but nothing less than that.

And also, it is very easy to buy a computer for that - it'd be a beefy machine, but £1500 is easy to hit when buying a new box.

Just because you don't have a use for a UMPC, some people do. A UMPC would be ideal for a network techie - low weight to carry round, touch screen for quick use or a pull out keyboard for a bit of terminal use if needed. Compared to a laptop coming in at twice the size, with the need to find something to rest it on for any form of use? The UMPC wins hands down.
    A bit of terminal use ? well you'd get as far as typing cmd before you got pissed off with inputting via the keyboard.

As for carrying laptops of twice the size, the OQO2 isn't something you could discretely put in a pocket (you'd need deep pockets in both senses of the word) so I don't see the problem with carrying a 1.5kg ultraportable laptop to a problem spot. Plus a lot of tablet pc's come with handrests for use in places where you can't lay it flat - and a ultraportable/tablet pc is something you can actually be productive with at your desk.
    The OQO2 processor is a dog for anything but the most basic of tasks.

Or how about carrying a pda that you CAN fit into a pocket if you need to RDP to the server at anytime whever you are. The umpc's are filling a very niche role, it's definitely not a tool a techie is going to get a great deal of use from - particularly at that price.

If you want something for sysadmin something like a Sharp Zaurus is/was a much better tool.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure I can find a use for one - and at £500-£600 tops it wouldn't be a disastrous experiment. But at £1000+ there's very little justification for it.

Thank Post

we use 26 samsung UMPC Q1 ultras here, the processors are only 800Mhz, but you can buy them with xp tablet, so no nasty VISTURD on there
    very good

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information