+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, School Uniform in General; Just read this , about time something like this happens. I've got friends who have kids who are just starting ...

Thank Post

School Uniform

Just read this, about time something like this happens.

I've got friends who have kids who are just starting school and some of the money been spent on uniform is unreal.

I remember the days when I was starting school and we wore what we wanted, does a uniform make much different so how people learn, I think they should scrap it personally, focus on the education and not about what the kids look like.

What used to nark me off at secondary school was we would get moaned about about how we look, the lasses about make up etc and there you get the staff coming in what they want, make up plastered on, hair style how they want, why can't the kids?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Whilst I don't agree with expensive, single supplier, uniforms, I do agree with uniforms in general.

Research has shown that uniforms engender a team spirit with positive effects on behavior.

Given that schools with a uniform spend less time monitoring what kids are wearing (as they still need to have an acceptable standard of dress), actually wearing a uniform does allow schools to focus more teaching.

Thank Post
    we have never used a single supplier ( appart from the tie ) and neither has my sons school.

Plain black Jumper, White shirt, black Trousers.

All available in Asda, Morrisons, Tesco, etc...

Having the Uniform means students don't get segregated ( bullied ) for not having expensive cloathes.

Rob

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I do definatlely agree with uniforms, but they should be affordable and non-exclusive. The only expensive part of my uniform when I was at school was the blazer, and that was because I was at a private school. Every other part was nondescript- black shoes, black trousers, shirt, and school tie (cheap)

At recent schools where Ive worked, and theres been a non-uniform day, ive found it hard to differentiate between students, student teachers, and teachers.

Thank Post
    Ok as everyone so far seems to agree on a uniform, why does everything have to have a logo, what is wrong with black trousers, white shirt and what ever colour jumper? That way parents can so somewhere like Asda and get it for less than 20 but as soon as the logo is on it its 3 times that.

Thank Post
    It can also help to prevent "masquerading".

During my time in Holland when I was younger, I once went with some friends to their school and managed to actually sit in on lessons and just join in with everyone else. I said I was a new pupil and nobody knew any different. It was an immature 19-year-old prank, and now I work on the other side I can imagine the frantic e-mails when I didn't turn up the next day, but it's scary how that could actually happen. Consider if I'd been someone who was older but younger-looking (and of course they do exist) with, ah... irregular sexual predilections... hmmm, pervert in your classroom? Slightly worrying.

It also helps when pupils are in uniform on school trips; you can instantly pick out from a distance which kids are yours as the teacher. That's also why they need to be customised to the school to a certain degree, as there could be a number of school parties visiting e.g. a museum or similar.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    I have been a school governor for years and have always campaigned to have simple, affordable uniforms. I think that it should all be clothes you can buy anywhere except for one thing with a logo - sweatshirt or blazer. That way, cost is kept down but school identity is kept.
    Our high school has a ridiculous brown uniform which you can only get from the preposterously expensive uniform shop, and it isn't even particularly good quality. We have fought for years to get at least the shirt changed from "camel" to white with no success. I think uniforms are a good thing as they definitely stop competition between children but they need to think about cost. Having a unisex sports kit is something we did get agreed - previously the girls and boys had different t shirts and tops which was ridiculous for people with children of both sexes.
    The middle school has grey and white which is far more sensible - the parents only have to buy a logo'd jumper and a rugby shirt.

Thank Post
    We have non uniform days and I hate them as the level of behaviour goes right down. And some of the outfits 11/12 year girls turn up in is astounding. I wouldn't have let my daughter dress like that for a disco at that age. I do agree that the cost of uniforms and kit must be hard for some parents. My daughter went to a fee-paying school and in the entrance hall there was a display of second-hand blazers, skirts etc. and the parents would think nothing to checking them out and grabbing a bargain to take back to their shiny Range Rover.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Our's comes from an online supplier including the PE kit, embroidered blaser etc.... this seems to be nothing but a pain in the backside for parents and sending stuff back that is the wrong size is just a pain as well.

Ben

Thank Post
    At the moment we're looking at parents ordering uniform online as we simply don't have anywhere to store uniform in school. I don't know if that means it'll be through a single supplier but it's sounding like it might be.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The simple way to reduce the cost of a blazer is to allow sell the school badge, to be sewn onto a standard blazer.

Thank Post
    Last year we started selling our own uniform (Blazer, ties, socks, PE tops) at cost to parents, all the other stuff shirts etc are standard so can be brought from any supermarket. I think we use Sportsware International as our supplier quick turn around approx. 2days.

We had the caretakers house converted into a shop (downstairs) with storage that is open on specific days during term time and 3 days a week in the summer holiday and parents can pop into reception whenever they like to pay/order etc.

From my limited viewpoint it has worked really well and the person in charge is still 'happy' and above all the cost to parents has been reduced by around 20. We did have complaints from the local uniform shops, but we stuck to our guns. The staffing cost is something the school has funded and I think it's been a good decision.

Thank Post
    Did the caretaker get a say in this? :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrompton01 View Post
    We had the caretakers house converted into a shop (downstairs) with storage that is open on specific days during term time and 3 days a week in the summer holiday and parents can pop into reception whenever they like to pay/order etc.
    I assume he no longer lives there?

Ben

Thank Post
    The old caretaker retired last summer and his replacement does not live on site. A lot of schools in this area are converting their caretakers houses into school building, most to house disruptive pupils, our head did not want to to this as it isolates them more from school live. So we have a nice house that has the shop, changing rooms, store downstairs and 2 meeting rooms and an IAG office upstairs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast