+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, School Uniform in General; Originally Posted by mcrompton01 We did have complaints from the local uniform shops , but we stuck to our guns. ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrompton01 View Post
    We did have complaints from the local uniform shops, but we stuck to our guns. The staffing cost is something the school has funded and I think it's been a good decision.
    Seriously? I think that goes to show just how much of a ridiculous racket this has become. If any other business decided to switch supplier, you wouldn't expect said supplier to write and complain, you'd expect them to find out why you switched and what they're not doing well enough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    Ok as everyone so far seems to agree on a uniform, why does everything have to have a logo, what is wrong with black trousers, white shirt and what ever colour jumper? That way parents can so somewhere like Asda and get it for less than £20 but as soon as the logo is on it its 3 times that.
    A logo is to present an identity. To help ensure a sense of community. Asking Parents to spend £15-£20 on a high quality embroidered jumper isn't outrageous.

There's no reason the rest can't just be standard trousers, shirts etc...

The only other things that are school specific are the ties - we have a different tie for each house, and the rugby shirts.

Thank Post
    Different ties per house here too. And now I find they've launched to the kids this idea of having different desktop backgrounds per house... without asking us if it's possible first of course... :/

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Different ties per house here too. And now I find they've launched to the kids this idea of having different desktop backgrounds per house... without asking us if it's possible first of course... :/
    That sounds like fun to arrange...

Thank Post
    If I weren't already importing all form groups and set lists from SIMS into AD, it'd be completely impossible. As it stands, we have one form per house per year (quite standard of course), so I think I'll just have a security group for each house (e-mail enabled in Exchange for extra-crunchy value), containing all forms ending in the first letter of that house's name (scriptable during the import routine), then target desktop background GPPs at those security groups.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Like witch, I am a governor and was asked by the HT "because you're a mum" to help vet the uniform changes needed at the school. My stipulations included washability... including tumble drying... and price.

I had to be able to throw it in the tumble dryer and have it ready for next day if the worst happened.. which with teenage boys it often does

The uniform is largely generic with a white shirt, black trousers, school tie and a logoed jumper. The school used to sell the logoed stuff in house, but space became a huge problem and the non generic stuff is now with a single supplier. Our HT is still breathing down the neck of the supplier making sure that the basics are affirdable. The supplier seems to think that they will make their money by flogging the generic black trousers, etc. In reality everyone goes to Asda, etc for those! The same supplier does quite a lot of wealthy schools and independents with horrifically expensive uniforms so they aren't in danger of going bankrupt any time soon because of us.

Thank Post
    Would you have any guidance on how to move to a single supplier without headaches of various natures... particularly for parents? It looks as if we may be doing that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    We only had a choice of 2, neither of which is actually in Tonbridge. One is is in Tunbridge Wells and the other in Sevenoaks. Our parents were more likely to go to Tunbridge Wells to shop so that was a big influence. The negotiations centred on availability as well as cost. We nailed them down to holding a school shop at key events such as consultations, year 6 induction, etc which meant that parents could still come to school and buy stuff. They can also order online, or place a paper order via the finance office, for delivery to school and we have have stock sizes for trying on always in school.

9. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Ephelyon (15th September 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks, I'll pass that on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

Thank Post
    I'm quite keen on uniform per se to reduce opportunities for discrimination and arguments in the morning, but the uniform arrangement at the (local state comprehensive) school my son attends seems to just make clothing universally expensive. I just spent £120 on his uniform - the only extra I bought above the minimum was a couple of polo shirts (with embroidered badge) - teenage boy, white polo shirt, no tumble dry, so not especially extravagant and an extra pair of PE shorts (with embroidered badge) - he has rugby on a Monday and gymn on a Tuesday, so again not extravagant. The only upside is that the sweatshirt says "do not iron". But mandatory PE socks and black PE shorts seems particularly over the top. I think the amount we had to pay could cause a lot of people problems.

Thank Post
    Having our school recently swap to uniforms after years without for both staff and students I can say yes it can make a noticeable difference. But uniforms need not be expensive and shouldn’t need to go over the top and require ties. I feel a general smart School Uniform is enough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Where I worked they have just changed the policy for this year but it was crazy everything was from one firm as even the trousers had a logo all you could get from say Asda was the shirts! It was blazers, Jumper, Trousers / Skirt all logo'd such an expense for parents.

That has changed this year so you can do Trousers and Shirts from Asda etc.. but blazer, jumper and tie are from the local shops that partner to sell it as it was costing too much to run and store in-house.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Uniforms has a link to my old school uniform (Horrible and looks like a tree) and a price list as well.

Thank Post
    Uniforms are a great idea for the reasons already posted however do seem to be getting very expensive, not looking forward to when my children get to high school.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast