+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Library Management Software? Virtual/eBooks? in General; Hello, We use a widely used library system here at the school, but their support (or lack of) is starting ...
    Thank Post

Library Management Software? Virtual/eBooks?

Hello,

We use a widely used library system here at the school, but their support (or lack of) is starting to frustrate us.

What do you use to manage your library? Has anyone gone to eBooks entirely yet?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Eclipse here. MLS support had always been fantastic but sad to say, coincidentally or otherwise, since their acquisition by Capita, support has gone downhill. Their ebook system via Overdrive is, to this day, diabolical.

RM Books seems to be the best value for money currently.

Thank Post
    I wasn't going to name MLS, but we've been struggling with Eclipse ourselves. Hoping for some alternatives!

Thank Post
    RM Books all the way!
    Tie it up to RM Unify (Discover: RM Unify) and all your provisioning is done too for user accounts!

If you want to know anything else about it and how we are taking it to 170 schools let me know!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    On paper RM Books sounds like one of the best alternatives, however some schools we've been in touch with about it have been voicing some concerns. I'll see if I can get an idea of what those concerns are, maybe you can answer them for us

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    On paper RM Books sounds like one of the best alternatives, however some schools we've been in touch with about it have been voicing some concerns. I'll see if I can get an idea of what those concerns are, maybe you can answer them for us
    We also passed the system through our Literacy advisors and Schools Library colleagues and some concerns were raised....these were mainly about content. Issues around common and regular used fiction content was missing - things like Michael Murpurgo etc

That said, RM have been working very hard with content and there is loads more than say a few months ago! So it's getting better, they just need to work harder in relation to common content for kids - but on the other side I can understand it's hard to get publishers/writers to agree to getting their books in the ebooks as they are nervous about loosing revenue.....

There is a great case study for Shirelands academy on it's effective use in education that's worth a read as well: Case Study | Flipping brilliant!

Overall, for what's out their at the moment, the ease of use and flexibility, RM Books is where it's at.

All our schools, as they are RM Unify Premium schools are getting 100 worth of free credit to get started too and 30% off their first order, you can't argue at that, even to just give it a go!

Rich

7. Thanks to funkyfin2000 from:

synaesthesia (23rd September 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread